Shin Splints

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well thats at least what I think I got.

We were practicing a no gi (although it can also work with the gi) guard pass against the seated guard. It involved collapsing the other persons upright shin with your own shin to keep their legs pinned and passing to the their back.

It hurt a little in class because my sparring partners all had very bony shins (as do I) so it felt almost like a baseball bat. The next day is when it really started to hurt. My shin bled in class but I thought it was because of a graze which was the case the last time my shin bled.

No you don't have shin splints. I'm a distance runner, I know what shin splints are, and you don't have them.

All you're describing is a very common occurrence in submission wrestling when there is a lot of shin on shin contact, add to the fact that often times your opponent is putting all their weight on the leg they are pinning and you're going to have a lot of pressure on your shin. And if they have boney shins and you aren't used to that kind of pressure/haven't conditioned your skin to it yet, you very well could experience a lot of pain in your shin.

^^ This guy speaks the truth. You don't have shin splints.

Back