Shin Guards?

MRRYZER

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is there are real difference between Grappling shin guards and Traditional Guards? Can they both serve either purpose? Are they really necessary, and if so what brands do you guys recommend?

get the csi shin guards. The traditional muay thai shin guards use buckles or velcro strap. They dont stay on your legs as well as this neoprene or lycra stuff. It just adheres to you like a wetsuit.

get the csi shin guards. The traditional muay thai shin guards use buckles or velcro strap. They dont stay on your legs as well as this neoprene or lycra stuff. It just adheres to you like a wetsuit.

You mean the CSI grappling Shin Guards? Are they good for Stand-Up too?

I have the CSI guards and I use them for striking and striking with groundwork and they are great.

the grappling ones are made of like foam padding, and u can use them but i wouldnt recommend hard thai style sparring with them by any means. they're good for MMA bouts where you work groundgame though.

~Foz

the grappling ones are made of like foam padding, and u can use them but i wouldnt recommend hard thai style sparring with them by any means. they're good for MMA bouts where you work groundgame though.

~Foz

Thanks for the info, guys!

Thank you, O Pink One!

I used to use the old skool cloth shin guards for Full Contact Sparring in Wing Chun.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/portals/0/Images/Products/1497-LG.JPG

I just figured it was time to replace a lot of my crap!

I actually like using these since they're really fast to put on.
NTM-730-RED.jpg

I've only got the thai style and they suck for MMA. I definately need to get the CSIs. Pretty much everyone in my gym wears them. I noticed they've got a new style (open back). Anyone have any experience with those?

The CSI and Top Contender Grappling shin guards are definately the best ones to get

You mean the CSI grappling Shin Guards? Are they good for Stand-Up too?

They're ok for stand-up. My training partner is 255lbs so it didn't take long before I ordered a pair of Windy's for doing stand-up.

If you get the Twins Competition Shin Guards, in the right size - they wont move an inch. Theyre solid.

I have used the CSI and the Top Contenders, but not any of the Throwdowns.
I liked the CSI and Top Contender ones because they stay in place when you are grappling. You don't have to worry about them coming un-velcroed. The only difference in the two is that the Top Contenders are made of synthetic leather and the CSI ones are made of leather. With shinguards I don't think this will make much of a difference in how long they will last.

anyone tried the ones with the velcro backing? Do they do the job or is it better to get the solid back ones and just fight with taking them off?

I'm interested in that as well. Maybe someone with experience with both could offer an opinion. I noticed CSI has open back (which I think uses velcro) and the more familiar closed back. I'm really trying to decide between these two.

Rogue makes some good ones. You can find those at mmauniverse.com

Tapout ones work well too.

Back