Shin guards - is it necessary to have them cover the foot?

D

DangerDan

Mine just cover the shin, but have nothing that goes over the foot. Is there any negative effects to this besides just pain and accidentally KO'ing my sparring partner? (I can't really throw good head kicks so this is something I don't have to worry about at the moment)

Well, there is a possibility of you breaking your foot.
It's rare but it happens.

if your distance is bad and you hit an elbow,hip,knee it should hurt.

When you kick to the body its likely you'll hit an elbow. Even with pads it hurts abit so bear that in mind.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I kicked and elbow hard as hell the other night. It hurt, but not as bad as it used to.

In a perfect world, you wouldn't need the foot protecting because you'd only be using shins. In the real world your foot catches the hard parts mentioned above.

Well, there is a possibility of you breaking your foot.
It's rare but it happens.

sadly I can say this is very true...I broke my foot a bit ago and it just isn't quite the same it used to be.

i agree. even if you are a very precise kicker. it just takes your partner or opponent to do something you didn't expect and you will end up connecting with your foot. i remember one time when i was teaching and my student stuck his elbow out at the last second and it nearly broke my foot. i was hombling around like an old man for a few days after that. ice works wonders though!

Back