Shin guards and conditioning

MMAftfw**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How are they for conditioning in general? I've done Korean karate and mma training and with both I have never used shin guards and for the most part my shins got used to it. The occasional bad clash or kick still sometimes will hurt them pretty bad if its hard enough. Sometimes I think about getting them but at the same time im worried my conditioning might go down or not get any better if I pad them. What do you guys think about it? I also considered getting them just for when I do hurt a shin to let it heal faster by keeping it from knocking as hard the next time i spar. Does anyone else do this?

I just use Shin pads to spar.,,..thats it

For years I have never used them, for the same reason. Once your nerves deaden, and the bones calcify, you are pretty much set without them. Now I use them for occassionally for protection of the person Im sparring. I guess it really comes down to what you kick with. If you kick with the shin, you should protect your sparring partner. If you kick with the instep, you should not use them and toughen up your shins.

Out of interest, where exactly does the instep cover?

As for the topic, I don't use pads ever when kicking bag / pad but use them to spar with for obvious reasons. Never been anywhere that did it differnetly.

Back