Shin Guard Sizing help?!?

RisingStars

White Belt
Reaction score
I know, again.

I lurked around and thought I bought the right size shin guards found here: http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-equipment.asp?ProductID=TKSGPGL-BK-RD (fast shipping and great service btw)

I bought a size large, they seem too big. The straps barely lock onto their velcro as I have to pull them so snug. The top of the pads hit slight into my knee cap. I have added some pics, please excuse my shitty photography

My shins measure about 14.5" and my calves about 14.5" around the largest size. I wear size 11 shoes. `I'm about 5'11" 165lbs, 29 inch inseam :(
j3rMVAl.jpg

2znOfW6.jpg

HQUbAS4.jpg

I know all signs point that I should probably exchange it for a medium, right?

thanks!

Nope that's the correct size. I'm your height and exactly and got long legs like you. They fit perfect, except your skinny calves. Do some calf raises or something but otherwise you got it just right. The tops are supposed to cover part of your kneecap (connecting tendon), that's what they're for

Nope that's the correct size. I'm your height and exactly and got long legs like you. They fit perfect, except your skinny calves. Do some calf raises or something but otherwise you got it just right. The tops are supposed to cover part of your kneecap (connecting tendon), that's what they're for

Thanks!

After looking at them for a while, it does seem feel right...except for my calves.

Would switching to a medium help at all? or would that just be too small for me?

Thanks!

After looking at them for a while, it does seem feel right...except for my calves.

Would switching to a medium help at all? or would that just be too small for me?

Too small.

Just rig the straps somehow. You can modify them with extra velcro (fabrics/craft store) and chop off the excess if the extra length bothers you. Or just come up with some way to rig it. You got skinny calves. Start doing jump-rope. The mediums would also have straps way too long for you

So I'm 5'10" 155lbs with a 30-31" inseam and I wear a medium in TK shin guards. I consider myself to be at the upper limit of a Medium, and If I were any bigger I'd go with a large. But for your height and size, you seem to have short skinny legs so a medium may fit better. My advice is to find someone with some TK mediums and try them on. Or just order mediums and return/sell whichever pair fits worse.

Do you guys think, these are the right size ? They are first martial arts shin guards that i bought. They are Medium.
This model comes in S, M, and L only. I am 6"3' - 1.92m , 97kg (210lbs).

At store I tried Medium and Large, and Medium felt right and very comfortable and they still feel right and comfortable.
Probably cause my calf is on a smaller side for my height and weight ( 15.7 inch - 40cm circumference).

I am looking for recommendation from someone with more experience, if shin guard
- shin coverage length
- foot/step coverage length

seem alright ?

Thanks

20190212_235825 (3).jpg 20190212_235756 (1).jpg 20190212_235654 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,
im doing sanda since a long time and was trying to get some nice prof shin guards. the problem as always is my body, i am 6''1 and about 87kg, but my legs are really long and shins are skinny.
ive tried several guards and ended up with mtp shin guards, quite nice, directly shipped from phuket, maybe some of you heard about the brand. now the problem: i got L, cause of the skinny shins, but they are quite a bit to short, not reaching the kneepoint a wanted to and toes are not covered enough.

befor i have tried:
fairtex sp5 - i loved them - but still the same problem. L to short, XL to loosy in foot region
revgear/danger shin guards - best protection ive seen so far. L good size - But i can twist the shutter twice around my shin.

Do you know any shin guards, any brands, which are good for long skinny shins? I would really appreciate any suggestions. thank you guys!

cheers
sufie

Shin guards i posted on pictures above, turned out to be really gd. Those r only ones i ever had, so i can't really make recomendation.
They don't cover knees or toes fully, but that didn't bother me so far.

Back