Shin Guard for heavy bag

reignrock

White Belt
Reaction score
First off let me say I've used the search option on this and although ive found out some useful tips i still haven't really found an answer to my question. So... question.

Which shin guards would you guys recommend for Thai bag use? I practice on my own as I do not have a training partner so nobody to hold pads. I know most of you probably go bare shin but sometimes padding would be nice. I'm not necessarily looking to pay top dollar but I don't want to go the cheap route either. Remember, strictly bag work. Thanks in advance.

First off, WHY do you want shin guards for the bag? Are you injured? Are your shins getting sore? Are they getting raw?

Maybe the bag is rock hard? Can you re-pack the bag filling with something softer?

Get a softer bag if it's to hard.

The muay thay shin guards also protect the foot, so you'll probably get used to landing kicks with your shin/foot. I was used to kicking that way from taekwondo and I hurt my feet bad in the first real muay thai training I had. So I assume it's better to learn the proper way so you don't hurt yourself if you ever try to kick something harder than a bag. Maybe someone with more experience can comment on this though, I'm not doing muay thai regularly.

Last edited:
No guards on the bag!!!!!!! You have to condition the shins and you cannot do that by wearing protection. Tough it out.

Kick the bag softer and progress harder when you feel you can go harder.

Back