Shin conditioning...

Don't hit or roll your shin with anything harder than your bone.

Don't be lazy kick the bag, you can condition shins, increase stamina, improve kicking & not risk long term damage.

I've said it before & i'll say it again. . . if your serious kicking a bag 100 times daily is no big effort.

i started to try an condition my shins about a month ago, at first every day for the first 3 days i would do 50 80% force kicks on each leg on a 100 pound bagand just felt a little sore, but know i do it 3-4 days a week 4 weeks later and it hurts like all hell if i kick harder than say 60%. Will this go away with time? i can kick as hard as i can in spurts with adrenaline taking over but when im done it will be so tender and sore for the next 2 days.

i am no means a pussy and i know no pain no gain, but will just taking the pain that is almost unbearable at times hurt anything if i keep going like this? any tips i should use after each kicking session? right now i just throw some tigers balm on there

You need to give your shins time to recover.

Hitting on bruised tissue over and over with full power will only make the inflammation worse.

Let them heal, and you'll see that they will come back more resistant to strikes.

sounds good to me, im like wanting to use kicks when i do my bag training and throw some low kicks as instinct but i was saying to myself " man is this ever gonna go away lol"

im gonna give them a few days of icing and try again thanks

There are more experienced guys when it comes to shin conditioning around here, but this is what has worked for me. If your shins still hurt on contact, give them a day or two, and you'll see that you'll be able to take serious punishment again.

I like to use my dog's spiked collar and punch my shins with at least until they bleed

In the book "Muay Thai: The Art of Fighting" byYod Ruerngsa, Khun Kao Charuad, and James Cartmell, they recommend a long slow process of striking a heavy bag of thai pads at least 100 times a day, starting off soft and adding power until you're hitting at full power by the 30th kick and not by hitting them with sticks or rolling. Hitting the shin with anything harder than the bone can cause damage to the bone as well as deadening the nerves of your shin. After all, it's not that the shin gets any harder from conditioning, just that the nerves die.

Long term effect of hitting or rolling can include bone spurs, stress fractures, and calcium deposits.

At least, that's what they say...

A bat eh... I held the handle of bat and another guy used his feet to hold the bottum of bat while my friend kicked it and broke it in 2...... I watched a tape of a guy breaking 26 in 93 seconds. Solid ash bats....

Dave Mennaise said:
I like to use my dog's spiked collar and punch my shins with at least until they bleed

Moronic posts like that are a great way to start your posting career on Sherdog.

i dont know what a rolling pin is.but that guy was right just kicking heavy bags is good and theres also a vid to show you another way to condition your legs

we rub alot of lineament on the shin let it soak in and work through kicks that we would use in a fight as hard as you can handle making sure to strike w/shin each time everyone is different so we g oas hard as each guy can handle some guys kick hard some dont but each guy is working at his pace we do this for like 150 kicks each side then thats all and if you stick with it it will work for you.......

lol i was kicking part of a recliner...then i stepped it up to the old hot water heater...i put dents in that fucker.

Heavy bag, lots of it. Work up in intensity and duration. thats the secret....but pls dont tell anyone

VampireMonk said:
gently use your heel to repeatedly hit your shin then switch legs.
do it for a few seconds several times a day, make sure you are not
sore or in pain. just keep it up and think Loooooooooooooooong term.
I've been doing it for years.

shins of steel baby.

I've been told by a few Thai Pro Fighters to do the same thing... do it like you are warming them up.

Back