Shin conditioning...

Rolling worked for me, and SO FAR (4-5 months later) no side effects other than tolerance to strikes.
Kicking a bag helps alot, which is what people should do insted of rolling, but I like rolling.

So what are the side effects? Nerve damage? I really don't see what the big deal about that is.. I hope theres a reason why everyone is so opposed to rolling aside from loss of physical sensation in the shins.

there have been some studies published...I can think of one in an older Journal of Asian Martial Arts that said that long term studies of rolling have shown nerve damage in the lower leg. Basically, the MT guys don't feel anything in the beginning, so they keep rolling. But 30 years down the road, they suffer severe nerve damage.

bdweezil6998 said:
there have been some studies published...I can think of one in an older Journal of Asian Martial Arts that said that long term studies of rolling have shown nerve damage in the lower leg. Basically, the MT guys don't feel anything in the beginning, so they keep rolling. But 30 years down the road, they suffer severe nerve damage.

What happens after the sever nerve damage?

Damn, this rolling stuff sounds fun!

It's a radically stupid and fucking pointless means of hurting yourself with negligible benefits.

Kicking pads and bags transmits a force throughout the lower leg. The contact impact causes the nerves to deaden, and the force which travels through the lower leg causes the body to strengthen the bones and tendons in order to better withstand such trauma (is that the right word?) in future.

With just rolling sticks and bottles, only the nerves are deadened, with no corresponding adaptation in the force-resistance of the leg. So, you think you can kick through baseball bats when in reality you could barely chop a pool cue.

The term 'calcium depletion' has also been bandied about, but I've not found (ie not bothered looking for) any evidence to support that.

Nae fucker rolls sticks over their knuckles, why should you do it to your legs?

CelebritySexist said:
With just rolling sticks and bottles, only the nerves are deadened, with no corresponding adaptation in the force-resistance of the leg. So, you think you can kick through baseball bats when in reality you could barely chop a pool cue.
Actually, I'm quite certain that any shin is harder than a baseball bat, even untrained one.

The problem is that you have to commit to the strike without hesitation, and with full focus, and only people with seriously conditioned shins can do this. Technique, power generation and precision are also essential.

No, I've never kicked through a baseball bat, but I intend to, one day...

I keep thinking back to that awful gif of that dude who broke his shin in half delivering a low kick. I'm guessing his opponent's shin was a *tad* stronger than his.

I've heard Thailand has the highest rate of lower leg cancer in the world.

Evil, I just thought I should tell you that I think DUNE is the best movie of all time.

for shin conditioning, all you need is a solid bag. a walmart canvas heavy bag will do wonders for your shins.

Wal-mart...now why in the hell did I not think to look there when I was in the market for a heavy bag?

From what I understand about MT people braking shins in kicks, its because of the angle that your shin is hitting his.
Feel around on your shin where you would be kicking... pretty sharp eah?
Now feel where you would be blocking. It has a much larger surface area where the presure is distributed.
(this is assuming that you are blocking right with your foot turned in the direction of the kick)

TaiKai Fighta said:
cmon!....seriously??

I've read it often in muay thai publications when they warn against any crazy shin destruction. Can't link to any hard evidence though. Maybe with some google-fu something definitive would turn up...

From Muay Thai UK...

There are also rumours that desensitising the nerves of the shin has the potential to cause shin cancer, but there are no confirmed reports of this ever happening. As far as I know, the only parts of the body that can be made cancerous by physical impact are the testicles, which are always going to be worry in any kicking martial art... So wear a box too.

Just kick a bag....a lot. That will condition your shins.

gently use your heel to repeatedly hit your shin then switch legs.
do it for a few seconds several times a day, make sure you are not
sore or in pain. just keep it up and think Loooooooooooooooong term.
I've been doing it for years.

shins of steel baby.

Back