Shields should have taken on Anderson instead of GSP

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why did he choose his shot against GSP when he came to the UFC? He was a better match up against Anderson.

his Wrestling was great. He could take Anderson down and was a constant submission threat. He wouldn’t be forced to keep it standing against Anderson like GSP.

He outwrestled Henderson and okami who are as big as Anderson and as strong.

Looks like a poor choice in Hindsight.

giphy.gif

You might be right, he looked good at MW in Strikeforce. Probably a better chance vs Andy than GSP. However I feel pretty confident Andy would've beaten him too.

I think the UFC was pushing him towards GSP. GSP was the bigger draw. had cleared out all other notables in his division, and was obviously going to be the headliner for their first Toronto event (which was a big record attendance ordeal at the time), so they were in real need of a legit challenger for him at the time. Anderson at the time had the Chael and Vitor rivalries to keep him busy at the time.

Shields would've beaten Silva easily

Any decent wrestler with submission defense would've beaten Silva with ease.

15lbs is a lot when you're fighting someone on that level.

wrong, silva would have ko'd him. We all know silva toyed with chael the first fight.
No we don’t lol, you really think he would let someone with far better wrestling than him beat his ass and punch him for almost 25 mins?

Toyed my ass, he even dropped Silva. In the second fight Anderson rubbed Vaseline on him and the ref had to wipe it off before the fight started, then had to grab Chaels shorts to avoid being taken down and still was losing the fight until the end. Silva never won a single round against Chael.

Shields would've beaten Silva easily

Any decent wrestler with submission defense would've beaten Silva with ease.
Did you see the Hendo vs Silva fight? Did you see him hit the switch in the marqurdt fight?

Silva in that time frame probably separates Jake from conciousness.

Did you see the Hendo vs Silva fight? Did you see him hit the switch in the marqurdt fight?

Silva in that time frame probably separates Jake from conciousness.
Marquardt and Hendo weren't good MMA wrestlers

Hendo himself was absolutely dominated by Shields

No we don’t lol, you really think he would let someone with far better wrestling than him beat his ass and punch him for almost 25 mins?

Toyed my ass, he even dropped Silva. In the second fight Anderson rubbed Vaseline on him and the ref had to wipe it off before the fight started, then had to grab Chaels shorts to avoid being taken down and still was losing the fight until the end. Silva never won a single round against Chael.
"beat his ass" you mean beat him with a pillow? lol. Chael was literally tapping him with punches most the time on the ground. Yes, I do think silva would do that to toy with chael. He fooled with everyone. He didn't care about winning rounds, he proved that with lots of his fights. It was always about the spectacular finish which he did in both fights.

Because he was too small to fight at MW. Yes, I know he beat Hendo, but Hendo never uses his wrestling and is not the biggest MW.

"beat his ass" you mean beat him with a pillow? lol. Chael was literally tapping him with punches most the time on the ground. Yes, I do think silva would do that to toy with chael. He fooled with everyone. He didn't care about winning rounds, he proved that with lots of his fights. It was always about the spectacular finish which he did in both fights.
You’re delusional. Anyone punching you in the face hurts. No way Anderson was good enough to win in any round he wanted to. What if he couldn’t sub chael lmao.

Why did he still get wrestle fucked on the second fight and cheat?

You think the most flat footed stand up fighter of all time would match up good against possibly the fighter with the best octagon control in ufc history?

Sonnen certainly did control the first fight in every way.... Right up to when he got choked lol. Dropped anderson standing iirc. Maybe twice

You’re delusional. Anyone punching you in the face hurts. No way Anderson was good enough to win in any round he wanted to. What if he couldn’t sub chael lmao.

Why did he still get wrestle fucked on the second fight and cheat?
he made a fool of chael the second fight too. And no, chaels ground and pound did not hurt him, if it did than why couldnt chael finish silva with GnP? he layed on top of him for 23 minutes lol So either his gnp sucks and never hurt silva or you are saying that chaels gnp is good...but then what? That silva is even better defending off of his back than chael is at gnp? Or chael was playing with silva. There is literally no logical answer that makes sense if you think chael was actually dangerous on top. I would say, no, he was not dangerous, and his gnp is softer than mike russo.

Back