Shevchenko's takedowns

Some people have no idea what they're watching lol.

For anyone that loves beautiful Muay Thai sweeps and throws...

It's just a sweep, that's as much used in Judo as in Muay Thai.
She uses classic muay thai trips and clinch takedowns not judo....
Ok guys, calm the fuck down.

The third throw was Muay Thai didn't remember that right from the video, saw the gif now, ok.

The first two throws were an outside trip and and an inside trip - classic Judo techniques absolutely illegal in Muay Thai

Got that?

Ok guys, calm the fuck down.

The third throw was Muay Thai didn't remember that right from the video, saw the gif now, ok.

The first two throws were an outside trip and and an inside trip - classic Judo techniques absolutely illegal in Muay Thai

Got that?

No need to quote me. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

3o7TKDWNkxjZLHZcty.gif

l41YANiQvEUskToU8.gif

l41Yvxe1YjKuWpRW8.gif
A thing of beauty.

It's mixed martial arts? You can catch a kick and then apply a single leg take down too. Are you allowed to kick in wrestling?

Dude...watch the video I posted on the first page of the thread. It comes literally straight from MT. Must be a coincidence that Valentina's background is...Muay Thai.

Oh, look...almost the exact same sweep:

tumblr_n88n2b8Hz31qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Eager to see the Judo example of it off a caught kick.

Dude...watch the video I posted on the first page of the thread. It comes literally straight from MT. Must be a coincidence that Valentina's background is...Muay Thai.

You completely didn't understand any of my posts, did you? Didn't I say it's also used in MT? And I commented only on the sweep, not the catching a kick part. That sweep is used in Sambo, MT and Judo. If not more sports. Just like the hook is used in several striking arts.

In TS defense I just saw/ read about 3 takedowns that occured during match and made Gifs of them.
They may have roots in more than one art.
Takedowns from more than one style in an MMA fight crazy right.

Let's concentrate on the other two trips a little, shall we?
Are they Muay Thai also?

Let's concentrate on the other two trips a little, shall we?
Are they Muay Thai also?

They aren't Judo, because Valentina punched her way into distance in the first one. Can't punch in Judo!! And used Holly's knees in the second one to off balance her. Can't knee in Judo!

According to Wikipedia Valentina is a judo black belt, could be nonsense of course. Speaking of judo Joanna's uchi mata in the Gadelha fight didn't get much attention.

According to Wikipedia Valentina is a judo black belt, could be nonsense of course. Speaking of judo Joanna's uchi mata in the Gadelha fight didn't get much attention.
That's because it's not Judo unless Joe Rogan said so.

Makes me wonder why Rousey looked so weak in the clinch against Holm.
Ronda relies on head and arm throws mostly. Valentina went for trips and sweeps (and a failed single leg iirc). So Holly coulnd't use the same kind of defense she had trained for that fight.

Ronda relies on head and arm throws mostly. Valentina went for trips and sweeps (and a failed single leg iirc). So Holly coulnd't use the same kind of defense she had trained for that fight.
Ronda took down Holly with an outside trip.
Ronda took down Kaufman with a sweep.
Case dismissed.

Ronda took down Holly with an outside trip.
Ronda took down Kaufman with a sweep.
Case dismissed.

You're basically confirming what he said. Ronda's only success against Holly was when she used a trip that she tried after a failed head throw.

Makes me wonder why Rousey looked so weak in the clinch against Holm.

i think ronda wasn't doing very good judo against holm

maybe because she was getting messed up so badly in the striking, and so desperate to win every second of the fight rather than forcing holm to come to her and picking her spots, she was also trying to muscle holm and force a throw to happen the moment they clinched

You're basically confirming what he said. Ronda's only success against Holly was when she used a trip that she tried after a failed head throw.
Just saying that Ronda is more than a head and arm throw.
Watch Ronda vs Kaufman, same thing.
Hip throw fails immediately follows up with a ko uchi gari.

Just saying that Ronda is more than a head and arm throw.
Watch Ronda vs Kaufman, same thing.
Hip throw fails immediately follows up with a ko uchi gari.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe Ronda is not the once in a lifetime athlete that you thought she was?

Holly defended 4 of Valentina's 7 takedown attempts, and was instantly back on her feet after 2 of the 3 successful takedowns. That means that two takedowns were only able to score points, while 1 actually led to damage being done.

Absolutely give props to Shevchenko on her takedowns, but let's also give props to Holly for defending so well against the grappling of a judo AND Muay Thai black belt (or equivalent).

Last edited:
Holly defended 4 of Valentina's 7 takedown attempts, and was instantly back on her feet after 2 of the 3 successful takedowns.

Yes, props to Shevchenko on her takedowns, but let's also give props to Holly for defending so well against the judo black belt.

Two out of three ain't bad :D

Back