Shevchenko: Weili Zhang became UFC champion ‘because of lucky circumstances’

I like Valentina but she's completely wrong on this one. Or maybe she's trying to get a fight with Zhang..

She is the real deal win or lose vs Joanna. She already proved that. Do you need 3-4 title defenses to be deemed worthy of competing in a division? And for being a darling I disagree. She is a fierce fighter with great skill, most sherdoggers think wmma is shit which I mostly agree with but she is a pleasure to watch.
I guess real deal is relative, she is obviously worthy of competing in the division. That (for me at least) hasn't been a question for a long time.
What I meant by real deal is whether or not she can have a reign of dominance like GSP, Andy, Jones, Joanna Contender, etc.

Edit: My reading comprehension blows. I do indeed believe a fighter should have several defense before angling for a super fight. So I guess in that sense I disagree with you. Shes not deserving of a title shot at FLW.

Val would school her - I think Zhang was calling her out not long after out brawling andrade

I would say Eddie Alvarez became champion under lucky circumstances. Everything aligned for that 3-1 UFC fighter. Khabib and Tony out. No other name available. RDA struggling to make 155. Eddie Alvarez lands a perfect shot.

Conor McGregor really showed that Eddie was just a 3-1 UFC fighter who got lucky. LOL

Schevchenko will get flamed for this because Weili is sherdogs current WMMA darling, but in a way shes right.
Zhang has had 1 title fight, and it was about a minute long. Hard to say whether she's the real deal or not yet.
Dont agree with getting there via luck though. Andrade is a tough fight and Zhang earned that belt. Let's see if she can keep it.

Let's see. Zhang fought a couple unranked bottom tier fighters in her first 2 UFC fights (one of whom was cut from the UFC, and the other will likely be gone soon as well), then got Torres the gatekeeper, then beat Andrade for the title. She's never fought a wrestler, nor a good striker, or even someone who's taller than her. I don't know if I'd call it luck, but she's definitely been fast tracked and had the red carpet rolled out for her by the UFC.

She's still a relatively untested fighter and has a lot of work to do to prove that she's as good as people think she is. 4 fights in and she's fought a couple cans, a gatekeeper, and the champ. 4 fights into Valentina's career and she's fought 4 top 5 fighters including the current champ, a former UFC champ, a former Strikeforce champ, and the #2 contender.

Zhang destroyed and finished an exciting champ while Valentina spars with soccer moms in a dead division. Who is the luckiest?
Uh, do you think Weili Zhang has faced tougher competition than Valentina? Are you goddamn kidding me? Zhang had 0, 5 round fights to get her title shot and just beat just a few girls with losing records to fight a champ with 0 defenses. Valentina has fought Nunes twice, Holly, JJ, Pena, and even Liz Carmouche also beat Andrade.

She's didn't say her win wasn't good, she's saying she's never even fought another top 10.

She is not wrong, and I am a big Valentina fan, but this is coming off a little salty. Especially since Weili herself has not said a single word about fighting Valentina. This whole article is nothing more than media conjecture.

There is no question Valentina is the best at 125 by some distance. But her comments here make me think she has a faulty memory about how she got her own belt. Valentina was riding an impressive 1 fight winning streak when she got her 125 TS. And even that fight was against someone who had never fought in the UFC before, and still has not won a UFC fight to this date. Weili did a lot more to justify her shot at 115 than Valentina did at 125. And at least she beat an actual reigning champion to win her strap.

Shevchenko is correct, Zhang needs 4 or 5 successful defences before she thinks of moving up. The same is true of Valentina herself though.

Personally I don't want any Champ Champs, holding up two divisions. If you move up you have to vacate your first belt.

Jus telling the truth.

People on here think that Zhang would beat Val - and Zhang herself was wanting to fight Val not long after beating Jessica

Nobody is saying that and a couple of posts doesn't mean anything, stop making shit up

Bit rich from a woman who got a title shot in a new weight class after beating up an ex drug addict who's gone 0-3 in the UFC

Shevchenko via destruction and it's not even worth discussing...

That’s funny from someone who couldn’t win it at 135 and had to drop to a division that has literally no one and had to fight the former 115 champion to get a belt at 125. There is seriously no one in her division.

Zhang besting a legit champion is more of an accomplishment then Val has had so far.

Sounds like fighting words!

Big fan of them both, and I hope they can fight at some point in the next year!

Uh, do you think Weili Zhang has faced tougher competition than Valentina?

Valentina's overall resume is obviously better, but she shouldn't talk shit about anyone's brand new title reign when you see who she defended against and who is coming next.

Lucky circumstances led to the title shot, sure, but she earned the title in the fight. Meanwhile, Shevchenko, coming off a loss, gets the biggest gimme fight since Gall vs. Jackson, then fights for the title vs a strawweight who was 1-2 in her last three at strawweight, so it’s not as if Shevchenko’s title run is free of criticism, either.

what a stupid thing to say

zhang still had to show up and FIGHT
zhang will destroy shevchenko with ease

CHINA WORLD DOMINATION 2020

Shevchenko death wish confirmed

RG0BS1U.gif

Back