Elections Sherrod Brown not running for President

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Thanks for sherring the news

Damn, that's disappointing. He was my (way too early) favorite. I love his plan to make a huge dent in childhood poverty.

I put him in the category of:

"Will lose to President Trump on name recognition alone."

The vast majority of the American public will read the name Sherrod Brown, and collectively ask "Who?".

The vast majority of the American public will read the name Sherrod Brown, and collectively ask "Who?".
Huh? If he was running he would campaign, you know.

A big loss for the 2020 race, though nobody is going to know that. I didn't like him so much on trade, but I felt he was on point everywhere else. As a bonus, strong purple state credentials and relatability with the rust belt. Didn't seem like a hardliner or a bully at all. Felt he could compromise well when needed.

Huh? If he was running he would campaign, you know.
"Trump" has been a household name since the early 80's.

Brown is a relative nobody who would have to introduce himself to the vast majority of American voters.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Sherrod Brown had any chance of beating President Trump. Hence why he dropped out.

Real question. Is there any candidates running or rumored that you think has a chance against Trump. If so, why?

Brown's union bonafides were legit.

Can't have too many pro-labor voices in the DNC primary.

Wish he would have ran.

You'll say some version of this crap no matter who runs, so it's no contribution to the discussion.

I actually thought Sherrod was a woman for the last 2 years because I never see him being covered in the media, just rarely referenced in text

"Trump" has been a household name since the early 80's.

Brown is a relative nobody who would have to introduce himself to the vast majority of American voters.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Sherrod Brown had any chance of beating President Trump. Hence why he dropped out.
No, I understand. The obvious point you're missing is that candidates make a name for themselves on the campaign trail all the time. He would obviously be a household name by the time the election occurred.

I think Brown would have had a roughly 50% chance of defeating Trump. The other piece of terrible logic on your part is pre-election name recognition determines the winner. It's silly.

It's more likely Brown dropped out because he doesn't think he could win in a large field of Democratic candidates. Dems view Trump as a very beatable president.

Thanks for sherring the news
giphy.gif

Real question. Is there any candidates running or rumored that you think has a chance against Trump. If so, why?

I think if the economy tanks badly prior to the election or if some actual concrete proof of high level malfeasance by trump comes to light from Mueller, then Trump won't be hard for a generic Dem candidate to beat. Trump's first victory relied on key former Dem votes swinging to his side. There's no reason to think they owe him any kind of long term loyalty. That said, he's likely to be in a much stronger position than he was in the last campaign.

You'll say some version of this crap no matter who runs, so it's no contribution to the discussion.
<TrumpWrong1>
Biden: He still has enough the Obama rub to appeal to large population centers. Unfortunately for him, that same Obama rub will also stick in non-metropolitan areas.

Bernie: I'd be a bit more worried about Bernie if I wasn't absolutely certain that the DNC will do everything they can to prevent him from becoming the actual candidate. They'll let Bernie energize the base for a few months, but in the end somehow, someway, Bernie is going to come up just short in the primary. In much the same way that the Ron Paul movement eventually gave way to the rise of Donald Trump, I suspect the Bernie Sanders movement is going to give way to some unforeseen political force in 2024.

Gabbard: Her military experience, and her ability to articulate it could be the only possibility of creating a sound bite defeat for President Trump in a debate. She's a strong VP candidate.

All that being said, none of them will actually beat President Trump in the general election. Virginia is flipping back red in 2020.

I am not at all convinced Biden is running.

What will happen when some candidate on the stage polling at 2%, decides to take the death blow to Biden, and ask him to defend to anyone who cares about criminal justice reform, why they would vote for the man behind the 96 crime bill.

My dude RA the Rugged man said it best. You want to see a real racist, just take a look at Joe Biden.

Joe Biden has destroyed more black lives, then anyone since Jim Crow.

Since I don't really like Booker, Harris or Gillibrand, I'm just left with Warren, Sanders and Klobuchar as favorites. Maybe it's time to take a closer look at Hickenlooper.

A white male getting the Democratic Party's nomination? LMAO...of course he's not going to waste his time. Bernie can get out there and campaign all he wants, but when it comes down to reality he's "just another old white dude." I think as long as Kamala Harris isn't on video sacrificing infants to Satan then I think she's going to get the Dem's nomination.

No, I understand. The obvious point you're missing is that candidates make a name for themselves on the campaign trail all the time. He would obviously be a household name by the time the election occurred.

I think Brown would have had a roughly 50% chance of defeating Trump. The other piece of terrible logic on your part is pre-election name recognition determines the winner. It's silly.

It's more likely Brown dropped out because he doesn't think he could win in a large field of Democratic candidates.
It's too much of a name recognition deficit to overcome. You just don't want to admit it for whatever reason. Sherrod Brown dropped out because he realizes he would have got beaten as badly as Walter Mondale.

Dems view Trump as a very beatable president.
The Dems also had that view in 2016, look how that turned out.

P.S.

That's President Trump to you.

A white male getting the Democratic Party's nomination? LMAO...of course he's not going to waste his time. Bernie can get out there and campaign all he wants, but when it comes down to reality he's "just another old white dude." I think as long as Kamala Harris isn't on video sacrificing infants to Satan then I think she's going to get the Dem's nomination.
That sounds more like the decision-making process of a Republican primary (though in a different way/different factors). Democrats haven't shown that tendency in their results, even if ID politics is always part of the conversation. I'll believe it when I see it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Back