Sherdog's new year's resolutions

CocoPuffs

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Come on guys and gals. It's that time of year when we look back on the past year and plan for the next. What do we need to improve? I'll start with what I think Sherdoggers (including myself) could improve on to make this a better, more informative and even friendlier forum:

1. A sense of proportion: We have a propensity toward over and under valuing athletes. Conor is NOT the best fighter ever, Ronda is NOT the most overrated, most terrible fighter either, OK? Conor is an excellent fighter who has a bright future, but is still in his early career. He is doing great, let's see what happens! Ronda is not overhyped, she lost once, it is not the end of the world. She is amazing and a badass. (But Joe Rogan, she is not a once-ever athelete either). Can we have a sense of proportion? If we don't, we just cheapen the dialogue around here and make it less of a sport, more an empty spectacle.

2. Amnesia: Can we stop judging a fighter by their last performance only? Let's start looking at fighters in the context of their entire careers. Sometimes they are on a downward trend, but that does not mean that they were never great. Aldo does NOT suck! Be real.

3. Recognizing potential: On the other hand, a fighter with potential may just get great one day. Just because they are still growing doesn't mean they suck. It is more intelligent to recognize that a fighter has room to grow and ignorant to judge them based on early losses.

4. Love of martial arts: I would love to see more discussion of fights that take into account things like fighting styles and techniques. I am sure some of the sherdoggers have knowledge to share.

5. Objectivity: Everyone has their favorites, but give it up for their opponents. Show that you recognize their skills. Otherwise, we are just arguing about who is better by over valuing our fave and undervaluing the other guy. Not too smart.

6. Stop the hate: Can we not gay-bash, make gross sexual comments, etc? I don't see how that helps anyone appreciate the sport.

7. Keep the humor intact: Love the sarcastic humor and use of satire on here though.

The more informed we are and the more intelligently we discuss the sport, the more we will get out of it. If we let our passion for (or against) a certain fighter get in the way, we are just yelling into the void like an idiot and not adding anything to the glory of MMA. Other ideas welcomed.

TL;DR: It's about the sport, not personalities. Let's bring more discussion of MARTIAL ARTS here instead of gossip and hate. Let's have some fun.

I agree, but a) you'll get some shit for this thread, this is Sherdog and b) it would take a fucking century.

But you're absolutely right.

I just now that 2007 was 10 years ago and its pretty terrifying

I just now that 2007 was 10 years ago and its pretty terrifying

And yet everytime I think about "10 years ago" my mind instantly associates with the 90s. That's pretty fucked up, I think we're getting old.

I have a few suggestions

1) Anyone who signed up on the same day McGregor fought anyone is IP banned

2) Anyone who uses the word "shook" unironically is IP banned

3) Anyone who makes threads about "white privilege" or racism is IP banned

I have a few suggestions

What about those who

1) use the words "salty" and "hater"?

2) voted for Hillary Clinton?

I have a few suggestions

shook imho
check your privilege dude
#tyronbless
war mcgregor

My general approach to this place is similar to being at the bar for a few drinks - Sometimes I'll be serious and make (hopefully) constructive points and arguments, other times it will descend into poor jokes and one liners.

I get what you're saying though TS, fair play.

lynch2.png

Anyone who continues to incessantly post that Nate Diaz is a large WW.

2. Amnesia: Can we stop judging a fighter by their last performance only? Let's start looking at fighters in the context of their entire careers. Sometimes they are on a downward trend, but that does not mean that they were never great. Aldo does NOT suck! Be real.

When we are considering currently active fighters and their next fight, their last performance is pretty fucking relevant.

Think about all the Nate fanboys who post a gif/jpeg of his win over Conor, yet that is not indicative of where those fighters are at now.

I appreciate your efforts

How will we exist if we can't say a guy sucks and was overrated the whole time because he lost one fight in a row

I have a few suggestions

It's 2016, IP bans are pointless - every man and his dog knows how to circumvent them.

Your post is invalid.

And yet everytime I think about "10 years ago" my mind instantly associates with the 90s. That's pretty fucked up, I think we're getting old.
I was thinking about the party I attended for the millennium the other day and I was thinking that was nearly ten years ago. Definitely getting old here too.

When we are considering currently active fighters and their next fight, their last performance is pretty fucking relevant.

Think about all the Nate fanboys who post a gif/jpeg of his win over Conor, yet that is not indicative of where those fighters are at now.

Good point, I agree it is relevant when talking about next fights. I suppose I was talking mostly about making value judgements on a fighter as a whole. but it is true that the last fight is a good predictor of their performance in the near future.

Back