Sherdog's Home Improvement Thread

JohnnyDrama

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fellow Patrons,

I have recently purchased a house with my wife and will be closing March 7th. This is our first house and we are both very excited. The house is newly built, and we can't wait to get in and do some customizations to it! I have been researching how to build my own firepits, painting supplies, gardening tools, etc.

I will try to update this thread every so often to show some project I have been working on and discuss different topics to owning a house. My only question is that if I have a Fescue lawn, when is the optimal time to feed? Anyone know the optimal cut height?

Do any of you have any projects you are working on???

If I owned a house a secret room/study behind a bookcase that played the legend of Zelda hidden entrance discovery chime as you pulled the right book would be a top priority

Fellow Patrons,

I have recently purchased a house with my wife and will be closing March 7th. This is our first house and we are both very excited. The house is newly built, and we can't wait to get in and do some customizations to it! I have been researching how to build my own firepits, painting supplies, gardening tools, etc.

I will try to update this thread every so often to show some project I have been working on and discuss different topics to owning a house. My only question is that if I have a Fescue lawn, when is the optimal time to feed? Anyone know the optimal cut height?

I bought my house 10 years ago and have remodeled 80 percent of it, fun stuff. If you need any electrical advice I got you covered brah. Good luck on your endeavors.

Thanks sparky! We have a room on the second floor that we plan to finish later on. So that electrical advice might really come in handy.

I've also successfully renovated and flipped homes, happy to offer any advice.

But I don't know shit about your grass, sorry man.

If I owned a house a secret room/study behind a bookcase that played the legend of Zelda hidden entrance discovery chime as you pulled the right book would be a top priority

nod-off.gif

I've also successfully renovated and flipped homes, happy to offer any advice.

But I don't know shit about your grass, sorry man.

Carl Spackler can help him:

Might I suggest you look into doing a backyard garden? Its very rewarding to grow your own herbs and vegetables, and they can be set up for relatively low cost.

I've got a setup that's almost identical to what's shown here, a layered spiral for herbs using stones collected from the wilderness, and a more traditional trestle setup for tomatoes and other vine plants in the back.

herbspiral.jpg

Also, Virginia has a great climate for growing all types of things, but I'm sure you already know that =D

Congrats on the house and best of luck to you.

^^^ That is absolutely gorgeous! We actually bough the house in a suburb of Raleigh, NC. Climate is similar to VA's.

Too bad you bought a new one...lol. Best of luck, mine was built 100 years ago and is sturdy. Had to gut and remodel most of it, so those are a different sort of project than you are gonna get into.

Congrats on buying a house though. It's a blessing and a curse indeed.

Fellow Patrons,

I am doing my man cave (garage). My theory is that I might as well enjoy it and do things just the way it suites me. Best of luck on your remodeling and remember to enjoy it.

I am doing my man cave (garage). My theory is that I might as well enjoy it and do things just the way it suites me.

So are you turning the garage into a room? I want to keep my garage organized when we get into the house.

I renovated some of my rental apartments not fun while doing it but when its done makes you feel like you accomplished something. The hardest work is doing the flooring and fixing the ceilings. New build many of the problems I faced you will not have to deal with that's for sure. Good luck with your new house.

So are you turning the garage into a room? I want to keep my garage organized when we get into the house.
I have a buddy of mine that installed one of these bad boys.

carlifts1.jpg

He build his garage separate from his house. He installed heating and air conditioning and he has his own milling machine for cutting car parts. He used to be an airplane mechanic now he manages all the mechanics on the eastern seaboard for a major airline. His garage is amazing. He has tire racks and a two level where the second level he parks his ATV's and car parts. Its crazy cool to look at and it sounds huge but its just one big garage and he has his home office on the second floor.

That is awesome! ^^

I think the thing about owning a home and doing projects is from when I grew up watching This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop. My imagination goes wild thinking of the things I can build in the comfort of my own home.

We redid most of our kitchen and also did new flooring in an upstairs room. Besides that, we've just done the basics such as painting, new knobs on things, etc. We are contemplating redoing our bathroom, but I don't know if I want to take on the expense for that as this is our starter home only. Anyone with experience in how much it cost for you to redo your bathroom? Horror stories?

We redid most of our kitchen and also did new flooring in an upstairs room. Besides that, we've just done the basics such as painting, new knobs on things, etc. We are contemplating redoing our bathroom, but I don't know if I want to take on the expense for that as this is our starter home only. Anyone with experience in how much it cost for you to redo your bathroom? Horror stories?

I took out a shower stall and put a bathtub/shower into my bathroom. I half assed everything and had to improvise quite a bit but it has held up well. It ended up costing about 50% more than I anticipated just because of incidentals and problems I found while the project was in progress.

Back