Sherdog Technique of the Week

Why take full step back, switch stance, drop your hand then do the hook, when a simple step back and right cross/ohR can do the same thing? Can't fitch catch him with a left hook while he's dropping his hand?

Why take full step back, switch stance, drop your hand then do the hook, when a simple step back and right cross/ohR can do the same thing? Can't fitch catch him with a left hook while he's dropping his hand?

It's not a step and a punch, it's a step where you are punching at the same time.

Like when you throw your entire body into an overhand right, well this is just like that... imagine that entire motion happening at full speed... it's not a step then a punch... it's a step and a punch and the same time, only full speed and the step isn't so much a step as the result of your entire body throwing a hook.

the thing about pivoting to the left is u leave yourself open for a heavy leg kick.
Check 2:50 ish

anybody got any ideas on that ....im all ears

Yea at 2:50 he pivots off his lead foot swinging his back one to the left. This is a different pivot from the one I was highlighting, and I think you're right that it does leave you open for a brutal leg kick, especially since you're putting all your weight on it with the pivot. However, I think the key is to draw your opponent forward so that the pivot (to either side) moves you out of their path and puts you in a place to counter; timing and unpredictability is key (as with just about everything) and if executed properly you can use your opponent's momentum against them.

Now as far as other ideas on that, while you are open for the leg kick in that position assuming your opponent sees what's up and stops to face you, you have the ability to throw a body kick pretty much right through em or even a quick knee right into the liver.

My biggest issue with that movement is the repercussions and lack of options it leaves you with if you miss or shot gets blocked. Watch the video and imagine the following

1. Fitch catches the shot with left glove then throws rear UC, basically his opponent will face dive into the UC, if he catches it long, straight right hand.

You know, I usually hate to critique pro fighters (wtf do I know, right?), but I have to be honest and say I thought the exact same thing. If you look at his body right at the time of impact, his chin is just sitting there waiting for a yummy right hand straight down the pipe. All you gotta do is block the hook.

This technique is noted as something that's good against guys who bullrush forward swinging haymakers... Which in my interpretation means "good tactic against guys with poor standup". Aren't there a bajillion things you can do against guys like that that don't a) compromise your stance, b) compromise your ring position, and c) set you up for a counter?

Again, these guys have all my respect as world-class fighters, but I can't say I'm in a rush to start trying this out.

Boozerguyzer;40934145]Yea at 2:50 he pivots off his lead foot swinging his back one to the left. This is a different pivot from the one I was highlighting, and I think you're right that it does leave you open for a brutal leg kick, especially since you're putting all your weight on it with the pivot. However, I think the key is to draw your opponent forward so that the pivot (to either side) moves you out of their path and puts you in a place to counter; timing and unpredictability is key (as with just about everything) and if executed properly you can use your opponent's momentum against them.

Now as far as other ideas on that, while you are open for the leg kick in that position assuming your opponent sees what's up and stops to face you,

yeah thats the thing....the opp doesnt need to stop n face u. The step before the kick will take care of that. The only thing is the point of impact changes for him. If on a a regular low kick the PoI is at say 12 o clock , this time the PoI will be a 2:30-3 o clock. Can u picture that ?

you have the ability to throw a body kick pretty much right through em or even a quick knee right into the liver

yeah but it ll have to be off the lead leg. If u try a rt side kick you risk a heavy kick on your supporting leg. at best you fall down at worst you tear your ligaments.
Even a left body kick is risky. That low kick of his could smack into your supporting leg n dump you.
Punching is out of the question (unless you're really close). A kick from him will move his head out of range.
a knee from that angle n you're leaving yourself open to a knee's kryptonite....the heavy right hook.
i was thinking push kick but thats all i got so far. Maybe a double pivot ?

This pretty much sums it up, and leaves my ignorance of proper footwork unexposed :redface:

But I think the biggest thing is knowing how and when to use this technique. Everything has a time and place in mma as long as it's legal, so while this does open you up for a lot of scenarios that can go bad, the same can be said for just about any move in fighting besides maybe having mount. It's all about learning how to minimize that risk and understand how to best use it to your advantage. As we can see from lyoto and anderson this technique can be quite useful if done properly, tho it certainly isn't going to be equally useful to everyone based on their body, fighting style, ballsiness, etc

the thing about pivoting to the left is u leave yourself open for a heavy leg kick.
Check 2:50 ish

anybody got any ideas on that ....im all ears

I think you guys are over thinking this one, pivot and punch before he has a chance to get that kick off....... counters are all about timing, and for every counter there is a corresponding counter to the counter, etc.... inevitably.... Timing and execution is what makes countering effective, keep the movment short, compact and time it well he wont have a chance to get the kick off before your upside his head!

If you think you need more time to avoid that kick, step off at an angle / then pivot..... alternatively you can set, plant your feet, put your lead shoulder into him then pivot and chop a short overhand or UC, doing this would smother any attempt at getting the hips behind the kick.

Last edited:
It looks kind of like the check hook that Mayweather knocked out Hatton with (though he used his left hand). When someone comes rushing/lunging in you pivot and throw over the top so that they run into it. Real nice move.

Did Mayweather KO Hatton?

Did Mayweather KO Hatton?

TKO my bad, and it wasn't ended with the shot i was talking about. He did score a knock down with that check hook though. Sorry, I never actually watched the fight but saw videos of that knockdown and though it was the fight ender, just realized it wasnt.

Back