Sherdog Technique of the Week

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Sherdog.com MMA Techniques: Technique of the Week: Step-Back Right Hook
Hey, was looking for criticism and/or alternative methods for this technique. The technique has two comments that I can see. Although I don't appreciate the jab at lack of skill in MMA standup, the "guest" comment describes the way I was taught to shift and counterhook. Nevertheless, I'm thinking, stepping back and pivoting are different movements and the second is obviously more complex and therefore more time-consuming.

A step back could be very short and linear; a shift requires pivoting the whole body (including the back foot) around the lead pivot foot. So it's really apples and oranges comparing the techniques. I was thinking maybe this is a useful technique if someone is constantly jumping in and out, so you chance it when you they're doing this and don't expect them to keep pressing forward.

If you could find a video (even from a real fight) illustrating any technique that you recommend, I think that's always amazing. In fact, if they made that a requirement for posting in these forums, I actually think these technique forums would become way more popular (despite the increased demand for work when posting).

Of course, if you can't find video, I still appreciate input.

*P.S. I love Fitch's sly use of the word "Kingpin" when his fight team member introduces himself as "middleweight contender" and he calls himself UFC "welterweight kingpin". Looks like he did more than wrestle at Purdue. The word's secondary definition (after its bowling denotation) is "the most important or central figure in an organization." So some nice wordplay from the division's true #2 pimping his status and self-image without holding the title of "champion". As a lit geek, I appreciate it.

I like this one a lot. I first heard it referred to as a "Swing Step Hook". Kinda half step back, half pivot.

One suggestion: When making the video's get maybe get the camera man to do some shots of the feet as I think that's the most important part to learning any technique; footwork/stance.

Fitch has got a bangin' flavor savor going on there.

step back punches are always great, especially if u can set the opponent up and get them moving

Never used it myself but I see fighters do it from southpaw with left hook. Personally I just take a small step back and just throw a short overhand

This guy is encouraging the pivot step, which I am loving at the moment. I got it from my no-longer-cool-to-own Lyoto Machida DVD set and from being generally obsessed with this guy's technique. Sure, he got destroyed by Shogun in their second fight and had a less than dominant showing in their first. However, he was, up until that point, one of the most elusive guys out there. Why? his footwork is a) rare and unexpected which means b) hard to prepare for and c) totally slick. Check out this video starting at 3:50 to get a general idea (tho the whole video is pretty cool)-

He takes two steps back, then does the same pivot. No right hook and a much more upright stance means his head is less of a target; he opts for a leg kick instead. Some people in the comments are debating this pivot and saying you should keep your feet planted, and I guess I'd agree that it's harder to generate power pivoting off your front foot, but in my sparring sessions lately it's been helping a lot against the aggressive guys that come straight in and has opened up all kinds of counters-you can go for the lead leg or body kick, a quick right, or even pivot, plant your left foot, step to their right with the lead and throw a life ending left hook.

Where does the power come from? It seems like the fist doesn't travel very far, I think I'm missing something.

Muay thai technique for a hook following a kick looks similar... normally this would be done with your lead hand... execute the rear leg kick and as the foot returns to position execute the lead hook. Same sort of swinging motion with the leg returning as the hook is fired.

Edit: Just happened on this video of yod executing the kick to hook technique, 17 seconds in. You can see it is similar to a step back swinging hook in execution and placement of the feet when the hook is thrown.

YouTube - Yodsanklai Fairtex Training Part2

Last edited:
Sherdog.com MMA Techniques: Technique of the Week: Step-Back Right Hook
Hey, was looking for criticism and/or alternative methods for this technique.
I have seen this used and taught before, personally i dont like it. Not to say it cant be effective, but I think it violates one of the most fundamental rules in boxing DONT LET THE HEELS CROSS, anytime this happens you leave yourself in a position to be caught off balance. That said, in MMA they are in an octagon where the larger surface area keep much more of the striking in the middle of the ring......

First off, i wouldnt call that a step back right hand, really it is a switch stance lead right hook, he walks his left back while pivoting on the right into the hook, effectively making the right hand the lead and throwing a lead hook from southpaw.

My biggest issue with that movement is the repercussions and lack of options it leaves you with if you miss or shot gets blocked. Watch the video and imagine the following

1. Fitch catches the shot with left glove then throws rear UC, basically his opponent will face dive into the UC, if he catches it long, straight right hand.

2. Fitch ducks under right hook, the simultaneous step with the rear leg and pivot with the front throws your momentum forward, upper body leading toward the mat (how he gets the power)...... but if he misses over the top Fitch is squared up momentum coming forward and his opponent is turning his back to Fitch, he wouldn't have nearly enough time to recover before Fitch was wrapped around his waist and dumping his ass.......... if he really overcommit's to that shot, Fitch could easily duck under shoot and put him down on the mat face first with a simple trip, leaving him with Fitch on his back on the mat.... not a good place to be!

3. Fitch smothers the right hand, or he doesn't time that step off fast enough and Fitch sees it coming and changes direction.... He gets stood straight up on his toes with Fitch squared up, well balanced and in a position to TD or throw power shots while he covers..... This is why you dont cross the heels, if the timing is just a little bit off, your off balance.

The technique has two comments that I can see. Although I don't appreciate the jab at lack of skill in MMA standup, the "guest" comment describes the way I was taught to shift and counterhook. Nevertheless, I'm thinking, stepping back and pivoting are different movements and the second is obviously more complex and therefore more time-consuming.

Stepping back and pivoting may be a bit more intricate of a movement, but it leaves with a lot more offensive options (you can throw off either hand straight ,hook or UC, even throw kicks or clinch and knee, by having your base you dont limit your offensive options to 1 strike like you do in this demonstrated technique. Essentially you dont give up your base by crossing the heels and leave yourself more susceptible to a countershot or TD.......

Replies in red as for Alternative options.

- Given the scenario described in the video i would think it a much better option to step off at an angle ..... / or \........ and throw the hook.... if throwing a right hook the step off would be more lateral (push back off front foot, push lateral to right with rear foot) i would be more inclined to throw it to the body off that step, that way i would drop down under his counter right hand, step off and drop, right body hook, but if his hands are low throw it up top. His forward momentum will create the power, just get a good bend in your arm and push it through with the shoulder, it will be like face diving into a telephone pole if he is rushing forward...... these options let you pivot off the lead and throw left or shoot TD if you miss or get the shot blocked.

if i wanted to step outside opponents left or lead as shown in vid. i wouldn't do it with right hook, id instead say use the lead hook (step off long lead hook), only by throwing the left or lead hook the heels wont cross.... basically, think of throwing the left hook but pivoting opposite direction, lead heel turning in, do this by swinging the right leg out and get your weight forward pushing the lead hook through the shoulders...... again, your opponents forward momentum will be what gets the power into the shot...... I would think it an easier and better option to use a lead UC, come up underneath, but that is personal preference.

Alternatively, you could use the exact same technique shown in the video, only done with the lead or left hook, only you would be stepping out toward opponent right hand and your heels would never cross, just swing the right leg around as your pivoting into the left hook, or overhand left. then throw that right hook or cross.

Personally, i would just step back and throw a short lead uc or a stiff jab if a guy where rushing forward like that, squared up at the shoulders........

Last edited:
Where does the power come from? It seems like the fist doesn't travel very far, I think I'm missing something.

Its a right hook as a southpaw would throw it.

I'd note that just like the guy said its probably for wrestlers. Most decent strikers come from an angle, not straight in

yeah the reason they show it in southpaw is cause that same punch wouldn't have the same effect if it was not coming over that left jab from an orthodox fighter

you could left hook a southpaw like that though

PS - Anderson Silva has the nicest technique with his short-mid range lead hooks-- check that out if you're interested

yeah the reason they show it in southpaw is cause that same punch wouldn't have the same effect if it was not coming over that left jab from an orthodox fighter

you could left hook a southpaw like that though

I dont necessarily agree. If you step off laterally or at an angle \ and threw a lead left hook i think it would be just as effective if not more effective of a punch. It wouldn't necessarily come "over the jab", it could just as easily come in between the guard too.... that step back, switching stance throws the right over the jab at an angle that doesn't allow you to use your opponents forward momentum to add power to the shot. If you step off and throw the left over the jab (if it is low) or in between the guard you take yourself off centerline but put the punch right in the path of your opponents forward momentum.......... I.e: you dont have to throw the shot nearly as hard, just get a good stiff bend in your elbow and push it through the shoulder.... as noted below, it is like face diving into a telephone pole.

Remember Silva's KO of Forrest, same exact principle. Silva just put the hand out there, Forrest added the power by face diving into it!

Also, if i were stepping out to a southpaws left, why throw a lead hook and try to clip him, when i could throw a right hook/cross right down the middle and walk him into it!? Then still have my left to follow it..........

Ty Boozer and Sullivan. Awesome contributions.

that guy opens himself up to his opp's rt hand. Youcan assume if the guy is charging forward that hes swinging with BOTH hands. If hes already throwing it as a flurry his rt might connect before your does. Add in his forward momentum and the fact you've angled your body towards it.....HARD SHOT.

Whats better is to do the same thing but with your left. At worst it sends the guy careening forward while you side step.
Roy Jones did that a lot (check him vs Vinny Paz)
i do it too and its an amazingly dominating move when timed correctly.

In that sherdog video that guy does something that most overlook. Look at 1:05+ .
Thats a high level boxing slick move.
Surprised he didnt mention that.

This guy is encouraging the pivot step, which I am loving at the moment. I got it from my no-longer-cool-to-own Lyoto Machida DVD set and from being generally obsessed with this guy's technique. Sure, he got destroyed by Shogun in their second fight and had a less than dominant showing in their first. However, he was, up until that point, one of the most elusive guys out there. Why? his footwork is a) rare and unexpected which means b) hard to prepare for and c) totally slick. Check out this video starting at 3:50 to get a general idea (tho the whole video is pretty cool)-

He takes two steps back, then does the same pivot. No right hook and a much more upright stance means his head is less of a target; he opts for a leg kick instead. Some people in the comments are debating this pivot and saying you should keep your feet planted, and I guess I'd agree that it's harder to generate power pivoting off your front foot, but in my sparring sessions lately it's been helping a lot against the aggressive guys that come straight in and has opened up all kinds of counters-you can go for the lead leg or body kick, a quick right, or even pivot, plant your left foot, step to their right with the lead and throw a life ending left hook.

the thing about pivoting to the left is u leave yourself open for a heavy leg kick.
Check 2:50 ish

anybody got any ideas on that ....im all ears

YouTube - Frankie Edgar - Fight highlights

2:10 into the Frankie Edgar Highlight video... there are 2-3 views of it in slo-mo, from overhead, from over Frankie's shoulder etc... BAM

Frankie Edgar vs Mark Bocek... Mark throws a slow lazy right hand and Frankie flattens his face.

Last edited:
It looks kind of like the check hook that Mayweather knocked out Hatton with (though he used his left hand). When someone comes rushing/lunging in you pivot and throw over the top so that they run into it. Real nice move.

Back