Sherdog Shoop Mass-Shooter challenge...

I find it very strange how we sort of shame, and easily forget people who commit suicide peacefully and privately, yet we immortalize people who go on murder sprees and then commit suicide.

I had a friend I grew up with, very funny kid, very well liked, but was loaded up with different psych drugs since we were in middle school (probably before). He ended up going to medical school, and shortly after graduating, took his own life. Everyone loved him. No one here knows his name, most people outside of family and close friends have probably forgotten about him.

A very positive person who never hurt anyone, was loved by everyone who met him, takes his own life and that's the end of his story.

Some piece of shit like Vester Flannigan gets his life dissected on national TV for days, picture shown everywhere.. People read his manifesto on air.

It just seems like we have this all backwards.

Why not take a moment to honor the people who peacefully commit suicide, maybe even look at their grievances at a local level, talk about their life and mental issues, see if maybe we can change things.. and completely shun, ignore, and mock the people like Flannigan who go on these sprees and hurt innocent people.

Most people are instrinsically geared to be fascinated with murderers. I wish I could remember the study to cite here, but basically it showed that across cultures, we have a desire to be fascinated by the worst people out there. Rationally speaking, we'd celebrate those who have used their intellect to solve puzzles that have and will help humanity advance, but those guys and girls aren't studied. Instead, we spend time breaking down the nature and nurture variables of serial/rampage killers. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

There is a difference in the mentality, which is what I don't think you're capable of understanding.

These kids (generally kids) want to be seen as monsters. They want to be bad guys, they want to do something grand.

Calling them monsters, showing their pictures, reading their manifestos on air, it plays into the fantasy.

They have shallow egos, they feel small and insignificant, they feel neglected. Particularly by women. They want everyone to notice them. They want people to fear and discuss them.

The two things they likely hate the most are being mocked and ignored. Two things we seem unwilling to do.

I think "Red Dragon" nailed it, when they baited the serial killer out by calling him an impotent homosexual, nicknamed him the "Tooth Fairy" in the newspaper. If we begin a campaign of targeting their egos, we can deter this behavior.

You don't seem to understand that they want ANY sort of attention so they'd still delight in your idea of mocking. Also, notice that most of these murderers off themselves before they can revel in the attention they receive in the media. They DO know that they will get attention because you cannot ignore what they did and it's true. We cannot ignore the impact they have with their shooting.

Also, you think the only thing they're called is "monster"? You don't think they're also called things like f*g, bitch, pussy, etc.

You don't seem to understand that they want ANY sort of attention so they'd still delight in your idea of mocking. Also, notice that most of these murderers off themselves before they can revel in the attention they receive in the media. They DO know that they will get attention because you cannot ignore what they did and it's true. We cannot ignore the impact they have with their shooting.

Also, you think the only thing they're called is "monster"? You don't think they're also called things like f*g, bitch, pussy, etc.

I just don't know what to say, other than you're wrong.

Great rebuttal. Go back to thinking making shoops will deter future mass shooters.

You can't really rebut your opinion.

I don't know what to say, other than "You're wrong, I think emotionally fragile weaklings will respond poorly to the idea of mockery."

You seem to think it won't work, that's your opinion, I think it's wrong.

May I ask why you are being so hostile and defensive?

You can't really rebut your opinion.

I don't know what to say, other than "You're wrong, I think emotionally fragile weaklings will respond poorly to the idea of mockery."

You seem to think it won't work, that's your opinion, I think it's wrong.

May I ask why you are being so hostile and defensive?

Nah, I'm just pointing out how silly your thinking is throughout this thread. You seem to think that past shooters aren't made fun of or mocked by people after the incident happens. It's also kind of weird that you think mockery is the answer to stop future offenders.

Nah, I'm just pointing out how silly your thinking is throughout this thread. You seem to think that past shooters aren't made fun of or mocked by people after the incident happens. It's also kind of weird that you think mockery is the answer to stop future offenders.

I think mockery would help, but the main premise is to stop the glorification and celebrity that comes from committing these horrible acts.

Let's play a game:

Name the last Medal of Honor recipient.

Now, name the guy who shot up a classroom of 1st graders.

Ok.

Now, name the last Police Officer to be slain in the line of duty in your state. (Provided you're even American)

Now, what is John Allen Muhammed famous for?

Do you see what I mean? These guys are celebrities. We all know them. If we change that, perhaps we can dissuade desperate young nerds from doing these things.

I think mockery would help, but the main premise is to stop the glorification and celebrity that comes from committing these horrible acts.

Let's play a game:

Name the last Medal of Honor recipient.

Now, name the guy who shot up a classroom of 1st graders.

Ok.

Now, name the last Police Officer to be slain in the line of duty in your state. (Provided you're even American)

Now, what is John Allen Muhammed famous for?

Do you see what I mean? These guys are celebrities. We all know them. If we change that, perhaps we can dissuade desperate young nerds from doing these things.

Your problem seems to be what the average person's attention is drawn to. Mass murderers garner interest and it's not glorification, it's hatred and disgust. Mockery will still be giving them attention and people will still remember these murderers whether you delve into their backstory on the news or photoshop their head onto a donkey.

Back