Sherdog Shoop Mass-Shooter challenge...

Byron Carter

Purveyor of Wisdom
Banned
Reaction score
So Sherdog, this Alison Parker shooting has really rustled my jimmies to the maximum. So, I'm putting myself out on a limb here with a rather silly idea. So hear me out:

There isn't anything we can do to help Alison, or punish her killer - that's all over with.

But, maybe there is something we can do to deter future shootings.

I've seen this board create some of the most hilarious shoops when fighters get KO'd, brutal memes about fighters shitting their pants or testing positive for drugs.

Lets use that creative talent for something productive --- Let's shame these mass shooters.

That's right --- SHAME the mass shooters. Don't turn them into cryptic, legendary figures of the internet. Turn them into fucking jokes and memes.

Could it work?

Shoops will lighten the mood after such a tragedy but it will do 0 to prevent future shootings.

Lol, that's actually a pretty neat idea, if it caught on in a big way I could see it possibly having an impact on these generally young, impressionable people.

Shoops will lighten the mood after such a tragedy but it will do 0 to prevent future shootings.

Well, I look at sad pathetic people like this last piece of shit, and from reading bits of his manifesto -- it really seems like he wanted the attention, the recognition, and the "respect" from becoming a famous killer.

Think about it, he was obviously very self-obsessed, his constant selfies, his choice of career..

I really think we're rewarding these guys by putting their name and face everywhere. It would be different if we were mocking them.

But right now, guys who commit suicide peacefully are shamed and easily forgotten about, but the ones who go out in a blaze killing innocent people are made famous, immortalized, and discussed on national news.

Well, I look at sad pathetic people like this last piece of shit, and from reading bits of his manifesto -- it really seems like he wanted the attention, the recognition, and the "respect" from becoming a famous killer.

Think about it, he was obviously very self-obsessed, his constant selfies, his choice of career..

I really think we're rewarding these guys by putting their name and face everywhere. It would be different if we were mocking them.

But right now, guys who commit suicide peacefully are shamed and easily forgotten about, but the ones who go out in a blaze killing innocent people are made famous, immortalized, and discussed on national news.

I have a feeling that any attention is desirable to those losers, even negative attention.

So Sherdog, this Alison Parker shooting has really rustled my jimmies to the maximum. So, I'm putting myself out on a limb here with a rather silly idea. So hear me out:

There isn't anything we can do to help Alison, or punish her killer - that's all over with.

But, maybe there is something we can do to deter future shootings.

I've seen this board create some of the most hilarious shoops when fighters get KO'd, brutal memes about fighters shitting their pants or testing positive for drugs.

Lets use that creative talent for something productive --- Let's shame these mass shooters.

That's right --- SHAME the mass shooters. Don't turn them into cryptic, legendary figures of the internet. Turn them into fucking jokes and memes.

Could it work?
muderers.jpg

because these guys were so idolized?

bTSY63l.jpg

Its not like the average well-adjusted person looks up to them. They already have a stigma as losers and spergs.

Lmao @ the school-shooter fade.

But I don't know man, watching CNN and whenever they show a clip of the Batman shooter with his orange hair and crazy eyes, I can't help but think how they are making this guy look like a comic book villain. Which... I think is what he wanted.

Same thing with the Collumbine shooters. You remember the video of them with their trench coats on, right before they offed themselves? Of course you do, it has been played a million times over our lives. This is the first time I've seen most of those goofy photos --- yet I know who almost all of them are. I particularly remember John Allen Muhammed, because I was a highschool kid in that area during his reign of terror.

No.

People shouldn't even put their picture in the paper more than once max imo and I'd be fine with not at all. And even if your heart I'd in the right place, joking around even if it is about the shooter is detracting from what the focus should be on (the victim) and the tone (serious)

I think its a damn good idea. I'd do it right now if I was any good at photo shopping.

No.

People shouldn't even put their picture in the paper more than once max imo and I'd be fine with not at all. And even if your heart I'd in the right place, joking around even if it is about the shooter is detracting from what the focus should be on (the victim) and the tone (serious)

Could not agree more.

I do appreciate TS' idea, but it would backfire hard.

No.

I agree with this, but the public's curiosity and need to have a face for their demons and object of anger, requires it. How about they use the photo after he shot himself instead of the facebook profile?

I did this with Seung-Hui Cho back in 2007. Nothing changed. I think these people are mentally disturbed and becoming a joke won't prevent them from becoming spree killers.

I find it very strange how we sort of shame, and easily forget people who commit suicide peacefully and privately, yet we immortalize people who go on murder sprees and then commit suicide.

I had a friend I grew up with, very funny kid, very well liked, but was loaded up with different psych drugs since we were in middle school (probably before). He ended up going to medical school, and shortly after graduating, took his own life. Everyone loved him. No one here knows his name, most people outside of family and close friends have probably forgotten about him.

A very positive person who never hurt anyone, was loved by everyone who met him, takes his own life and that's the end of his story.

Some piece of shit like Vester Flannigan gets his life dissected on national TV for days, picture shown everywhere.. People read his manifesto on air.

It just seems like we have this all backwards.

Why not take a moment to honor the people who peacefully commit suicide, maybe even look at their grievances at a local level, talk about their life and mental issues, see if maybe we can change things.. and completely shun, ignore, and mock the people like Flannigan who go on these sprees and hurt innocent people.

I find it very strange how we sort of shame, and easily forget people who commit suicide peacefully and privately, yet we immortalize people who go on murder sprees and then commit suicide.

I had a friend I grew up with, very funny kid, very well liked, but was loaded up with different psych drugs since we were in middle school (probably before). He ended up going to medical school, and shortly after graduating, took his own life. Everyone loved him. No one here knows his name, most people outside of family and close friends have probably forgotten about him.

A very positive person who never hurt anyone, was loved by everyone who met him, takes his own life and that's the end of his story.

Some piece of shit like Vester Flannigan gets his life dissected on national TV for days, picture shown everywhere.. People read his manifesto on air.

It just seems like we have this all backwards.

Why not take a moment to honor the people who peacefully commit suicide, maybe even look at their grievances at a local level, talk about their life and mental issues, see if maybe we can change things.. and completely shun, ignore, and mock the people like Flannigan who go on these sprees and hurt innocent people.

The person who commits suicide only affects their family and friends. The killer who goes on a killing spree before offing himself affects many, many more families and friends as well as have an impact on a wider audience. That is why the killer gets more attention.

The person who commits suicide only affects their family and friends. The killer who goes on a killing spree before offing himself affects many, many more families and friends as well as have an impact on a wider audience. That is why the killer gets more attention.

Yes, but doesn't this seem like we're rewarding negative behavior?

I'm a Libertarian, I think suicide is tragic, and should be avoided in almost all cases, but if a free person of sound mind decides they no longer want to live, then they should have that choice.

We should listen and give a small amount of respect to the person who commits peaceful suicide, and shame the people who go on these awful sprees.

Yes, but doesn't this seem like we're rewarding negative behavior?

I'm a Libertarian, I think suicide is tragic, and should be avoided in almost all cases, but if a free person of sound mind decides they no longer want to live, then they should have that choice.

We should listen and give a small amount of respect to the person who commits peaceful suicide, and shame the people who go on these awful sprees.

No, it's not rewarding at all. Those mass shooters are shamed in the media. No one has nice words to say about them. People call them monsters and talk about how fucked up it is.

If giving them any sort of attention is considered "rewarding," then so be it because like it or not, we cannot simply downplay or ignore the impact these mass shooters have especially since there is still an ongoing discussion on what makes these psychos tick.

No, it's not rewarding at all. Those mass shooters are shamed in the media. No one has nice words to say about them. People call them monsters and talk about how fucked up it is.

If giving them any sort of attention is considered "rewarding," then so be it because like it or not, we cannot simply downplay or ignore the impact these mass shooters have especially since there is still an ongoing discussion on what makes these psychos tick.

How are they shamed?

Using the word "monster"? Terrell Suggs calls himself a monster on the football field. That's not shame.

These guys want to be villains, they want to be comic-book bad guys, they want to be The Joker, they want people to see them as powerful, and talk about them. They want the world to fear them.

And that's what we're doing.

When instead, we should be talking about the victims, honoring our fallen heroes.

We legitimately have discussed Vester Flannigan, Adam Lanza, and James Holmes, more than the last 500+ U.S. servicemen to have died in the Middle East combined.

That's the wrong way to go about things. We're doing it wrong.

How are they shamed?

Using the word "monster"? Terrell Suggs calls himself a monster on the football field. That's not shame.

These guys want to be villains, they want to be comic-book bad guys, they want to be The Joker, they want people to see them as powerful, and talk about them. They want the world to fear them.

And that's what we're doing.

When instead, we should be talking about the victims, honoring our fallen heroes.

We legitimately have discussed Vester Flannigan, Adam Lanza, and James Holmes, more than the last 500+ U.S. servicemen to have died in the Middle East combined.

That's the wrong way to go about things. We're doing it wrong.

C'mon, are you serious? You honestly think the context in which the media and the people they interview use the word "monster" is the same as your example?

They are treated as scumbags posthumously and that is shaming. It's more shaming than shooping their likeness into funny pictures which is what YOU suggest. You talk about not giving them attention in a thread where YOU suggest giving them an assload of attention by shooping them.

C'mon, are you serious? You honestly think the context in which the media and the people they interview use the word "monster" is the same as your example?

They are treated as scumbags posthumously and that is shaming. It's more shaming than shooping their likeness into funny pictures which is what YOU suggest. You talk about not giving them attention in a thread where YOU suggest giving them an assload of attention by shooping them.

There is a difference in the mentality, which is what I don't think you're capable of understanding.

These kids (generally kids) want to be seen as monsters. They want to be bad guys, they want to do something grand.

Calling them monsters, showing their pictures, reading their manifestos on air, it plays into the fantasy.

They have shallow egos, they feel small and insignificant, they feel neglected. Particularly by women. They want everyone to notice them. They want people to fear and discuss them.

The two things they likely hate the most are being mocked and ignored. Two things we seem unwilling to do.

I think "Red Dragon" nailed it, when they baited the serial killer out by calling him an impotent homosexual, nicknamed him the "Tooth Fairy" in the newspaper. If we begin a campaign of targeting their egos, we can deter this behavior.

Back