Sherdog psychologically damaged from Rousey's antics

I get my power from feasting on fanboy tears. Sorry, I'm an asshole.

There's reasonable criticism, unreasonable criticism, and below that is ...
personal criticism motivated by jealousy and dislike.

And yes, it much more a reflection of the critic's character than the criticized.

That said, this is where the intersection of showbiz vs athletics fucks things up. TUF did Rousey no favors. It was edited to show up the least admirable sides of her character. If the UFC was the WWE, this would be writing the storyline to make Rousey a 'heel'. (I apologize to everyone for whom that reference makes no sense.)

If the max amount of exposure you have to Rousey is her TV interactions with Meisha Tate, she's a very easy person to dislike. With Tate, she's literally the worst thing in competitive sports. A bad sport who wins all the time, and lords it over the beaten opponent afterward. OTOH, if you draw your conclusions from her interactions with Carmouche or McMann or Davis or Zingano or Holm, she's been generally respectful of opponents, if not the warmest, fuzziest person. A bigger Jędrzejczyk, if you will.

So you can't entirely blame posters for reacting to the marketing department version of Rousey. It's what they've been sold. However, one would think by now that fans realize that they ARE, in may cases, being sold marketing creations as people's actual character. Not always. But I very much doubt Conor McGregor, for example, is an overbearing asshole in his personal life. But he sells that in public, because it sells tickets. The only thing you can be generally sure of is what fighters do in the octagon.

So hate on Rousey all you want to, but unless you're personally acquainted with Rousey, and have spent extended time with her, you're spending your hate on marketing department fiction.

Back