Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was going to go with a 1080ti, i'd go with this one. it's the only one that doesn't look terrible
14-125-955-Z01.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125955
Dude, that's butt ugly lmfao. But in all seriousness, it's white which I'd have loved to have for my first build, but my current build is black and red, even the cables, so I can't go for this one.

Dude, that's butt ugly lmfao. But in all seriousness, it's white which I'd have loved to have for my first build, but my current build is black and red, even the cables, so I can't go for this one.
I don't understand the big obsession with angles lately on video cards.

I really liked the old EVGA FTW shape but even they went to putting a bunch of angles on there cards
660_SIG.png

2773-2774-3772-3773-3776.png

06G-P4-6268-KR_XL_1.jpg

EVGA-GTX-1080-Ti-FTW3.jpg

I'm thinking of updating my computer because I built it nine years ago, and it's just not enough to do anything. For reference, I can only run Fallout 4 on the lowest settings for everything and drop the resolution to 1280xwhatever to even play and it's still laggy. My end goal is to be able to run Fallout 4 on high settings/60 fps, I think that's a good benchmark. I don't have anything better because I knew I wouldn't be even able to sniff turning it on.

What I have now is
AMD Phenom X4 955 quadcore 3.2
8 gigs of DDR3 ram
GT 730 video card

And that's the most my motherboard will support, I've maxed out its capacity in ram/processor/video card.

I'm looking at pre-built PCs now because they may be a bit cheaper, and I've found this one on newegg, so if any of you have any advice or thoughts on it I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795662

It's cheap ($415), comes with a 240g SSD drive and a 2TB HDD, i5 3470 3.2g processor, 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, and Win 10 Pro. I would plan on updating the video card to this MSI Radeon RX 480:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137082&cm_re=480_rx-_-14-137-082-_-Product

With a budget under $600, can I do better?

I'm thinking of updating my computer because I built it nine years ago, and it's just not enough to do anything. For reference, I can only run Fallout 4 on the lowest settings for everything and drop the resolution to 1280xwhatever to even play and it's still laggy. My end goal is to be able to run Fallout 4 on high settings/60 fps, I think that's a good benchmark. I don't have anything better because I knew I wouldn't be even able to sniff turning it on.

What I have now is
8 gigs of DDR3 ram
GT 730 video card

And that's the most my motherboard will support, I've maxed out its capacity in ram/processor/video card.

I'm looking at pre-built PCs now because they may be a bit cheaper, and I've found this one on newegg, so if any of you have any advice or thoughts on it I'd really appreciate it.

It's cheap ($415), comes with a 240g SSD drive and a 2TB HDD, i5 3470 3.2g processor, 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, and Win 10 Pro. I would plan on updating the video card to this MSI Radeon RX 480:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137082&cm_re=480_rx-_-14-137-082-_-Product

Well if you want to keep your RAM, HDD and Case you could go this route.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $587.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-09 17:27 EDT-0400

What the hell NVidia? This is kinda screwed up.

Great video, thanks for that. I'm glad what he described didn't happen to me. I'm using a 1070 but when I upgrade I'll remember this video.

What I have now is
8 gigs of DDR3 ram
GT 730 video card

I'd go with something like this over that lenovo
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...1tb-hard-drive-silver/4826902.p?skuId=4826902

You'll get a smaller hard drive, no ssd, and less ram, but you have an upgrade path. The i5-3470 is on a dead platform. The one I listed you could upgrade to the newest processors later on.

or you could build this and have an option to upgrade processors in the future

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($107.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($53.87 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $469.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-09 18:38 EDT-0400

The Asus rog strix is at least fairly neutral, as it's all black, but even then it manages to be ugly. Of course, I don't really care since I don't have a window in my case, so all cards look the same.
I kinda want to download the software to turn off the LEDs even though I can't see them, just out of protest. Really can't stand the whole gamer esthetic.

I won a Varmilo Switch tester off of ebay but it doesn't come with caps. Has anyone replaced their keycaps on a Cherry MX board? Are they hard to remove? Is a cheap set good enough for testing?
I found a cheap set of 9 for $7. The cheapest set that would cover all 12 is double the price and it seems a waste for a one time use.

If it's a SATA III, would it be better to get it in the regular form factor instead of M.2 because with the latter it will be sitting under my graphics card.

If you are worried about heat you could go with a SATA version. It will be a bit slower, but for every day tasks you are not really going to notice a difference. Really it comes down to how much airflow you are going to have through your case.

If you are worried about heat you could go with a SATA version. It will be a bit slower, but for every day tasks you are not really going to notice a difference. Really it comes down to how much airflow you are going to have through your case.
Is there much of a difference in gaming?

Is there much of a difference in gaming?

No. In fact for gaming any SSD is going to decrease loading times and can reduce a slight bit of stutter now and then but that is about it. They really don't affect FPS.

No. In fact for gaming any SSD is going to decrease loading times and can reduce a slight bit of stutter now and then but that is about it. They really don't affect FPS.
Sorry I meant in terms of loading times, will the m.2 be much faster than the SATA?

So my G.Skill Tridentz have a height of 44m, and the NH-D15 only allows 32mm. You can supposedly move up the second fan and make more room, or alternatively I could go for the NH-D15S.

This will look better, but I don't know if that's worth dropping the extra fan for. Kinda wish I took that into consideration before I bought the sticks, but it is too late to return them now.

So my G.Skill Tridentz have a height of 44m, and the NH-D15 only allows 32mm. You can supposedly move up the second fan and make more room, or alternatively I could go for the NH-D15S.

This will look better, but I don't know if that's worth dropping the extra fan for. Kinda wish I took that into consideration before I bought the sticks, but it is too late to return them now.

If you have the room you could move the front fan to the back, just have it in a pull configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back