Sherdog P4P Rankings- Some Weirdness

obroin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Inb4 rankings don't matter.

So I was looking through Sherdog's new rankings and I noticed some things that made me shake my head. For those who haven't seen it, their current rankings are:

1 Jon Jones
2 Jose Aldo
3 Cain Velazquez
4 Chris Weidman
5 Mighty Mouse
6 Anthony Pettis
7 Anderson Silva
8 Johnny Hendricks
9 Benson Henderson
10 Gilbert Melendez

So after one loss, Barao-someone many people were considering one (if not the best) fighters in the world, drops off entirely. Furthermore, TJ doesn't make an appearance on the list. I'm all for the P4P list being more than just "a list of the current champions", because there are a few number 2's in some divisions that deserve mention. But after the shellacking he put on Barao, it's surprising he needs "a few more wins" to make the list. So he just has to defend a few times, right?

Except Hendricks and Pettis are on the list. They haven't defended. In Hendricks last fight, he was taken down to the wire against Lawler, and a close fight against GSP before that. Compare that to absolutely smoking a guy that many felt was one of the scariest fighters on the planet. Pettis had a beautiful sub of Henderson, but he hasn't had a defense either.

And Benson and Gil on there? What the shit. Benson hasn't had a dominant win since Diaz, and got subbed in the first by Pettis before barely slipping by Thomson. Melendez lost to Henderson, and then went on to almost get knocked out by Diego (to be fair, Gil was easily winning that fight until the knock down). But how do 3 LW make the list, and Dillashaw, who had one of the best performances ever against a guy some people thought was invincible, not make the cut?

I usually like Sherdog's rankings more than the UFC's offical rankings, but I really feel they dropped the ball here. There's several fighters I would put ahead of Benson and Gil on the list (Vitor, Gus, Cormier, Lawler, and Barao still come to mind. Rousey maybe if you make it a Pound for Pound for Gender discusssion), and discarding Dillashaw when you have Pettis and Hendricks on the list, and Anderson in some ways, seems a little crazy to me.

pff what the fuck is this shit?

we all know Ronda is #1 rofl lmaozofhd !!1

There needs to be some body of work to get there, imo. Otherwise they could make Sonnen fight Weidman and with a win, they'd both be in there.

Or just leave them both out since their streak/time fighting top comp isn't long enough, and save those spots for Benson, DC, JDS, Melendez and Benavidez: guys who aren't champs but have been consistently elite for years.

He lost to Dillashaw. No way he's even close to top 10 p4p.

Benson and Gil over T.J. and Barao?
Fuck off, Sherdog.

Sherdog (and I know you're reading this).

You guys should honestly be ashamed and embarrassed of yourselves for putting up that list.

Jones
Aldo
Mousey
Cain
Rousey
Weidman
Pettis
Hendricks
Dillashaw - joining the 'new champion crew' at the bottom
pick 'em for 10 but I'll say Dangerous Hollywood Decision Dan Cormo Cormier.

This looks accurate to me.

Renan Barao should never have been on the list. Take Gilbert and Benson out and put Joseph Benavidez and Frankie Edgar in and it would be a good list.

Silva, Bendo and Melendez are really only considered at all because of seniority. Which is really the problem when looking at these types of rankings, actually analyzing shit like how would Mighty Mouse do against Cain if he was 240lbs is too abstract and frankly ridiculous, so it really becomes more of a list of the top 10 most accomplished fighters recently competing at a top level.

There needs to be some body of work to get there, imo. Otherwise they could make Sonnen fight Weidman and with a win, they'd both be in there.

Or just leave them both out since their streak/time fighting top comp isn't long enough, and save those spots for Benson, DC, JDS, Melendez and Benavidez: guys who aren't champs but have been consistently elite for years.

I agree that just because your a champion, you shouldn't be a top 10 P4P fighter. Let them build a resume. What I was arguing is that it's ridiculous that TJ needed "more fights" when Pettis and Hendricks have defended the belt just as many times.

I agree that just because your a champion, you shouldn't be a top 10 P4P fighter. Let them build a resume. What I was arguing is that it's ridiculous that TJ needed "more fights" when Pettis and Hendricks have defended the belt just as many times.

Hendricks/ Pettis have accomplished much more than Dillashaw. Hendricks narrowly "lost" to a GOAT, has been fucking people up in main event/ co main fights for some time. Same for Pettis, especially considering WEC background and his flashy style. Congrats to Dillashaw, shy is limit, but he hasn't done shit yet compared to ANYONE on the list

well Pettis & Hendricks have a nice resume (or Johny has a nice one, while Pettis has a decent one, and TJ has a slim one).

TJ's best win after Barao is Mike Easton, who's not a bad fighter, but doesn't hold up to Fitch, Kampmann, Condit, Lawler, Cowboy, Benson twice, or even Lauzon.

Dillashaw should be on list before/ over Hendricks, Pettis, and Silva?

GTFO

He has the exact same amount of title defenses as the first two, so I don't see the issue. As for Silva, he's coming off two losses. He shouldn't be on a p4p list at all, unless it's the p4p greatest legacies.

Who knew the p4p rankings could ever be wrong..?

When are they ever right?

Hendricks/ Pettis have accomplished much more than Dillashaw. Hendricks narrowly "lost" to a GOAT, has been fucking people up in main event/ co main fights for some time. Same for Pettis, especially considering WEC background and his flashy style. Congrats to Dillashaw, shy is limit, but he hasn't done shit yet compared to ANYONE on the list

well Pettis & Hendricks have a nice resume, while TJ's best win after Barao is Mike Easton, who's not a bad fighter, but doesn't hold up to Fitch, Kampmann, Condit, Lawler, Cowboy, Benson twice, or even Lauzon.

True. Overall his career is much smaller than the other guys. I guess my argument is that, traditionally, these top 10 P4P lists have been a ranking of the champions, and it's interesting to note that this is the first time in a while that a champion hasn't been included on the P4P list. I would say that right now, TJ deserves to be above Benson and Melendez.

Dillashaw should be on list before/ over Hendricks, Pettis, and Silva?

GTFO

Not saying he should have been above them at all. Just funny that, in the case of Hendricks and Pettis, he's as accomplished *as a champion* as them, yet not good enough to make it on. Silva stays given his career, completely true.

Definitely do not agree with Benson and Gilbert being on there over Barao and TJ, TJ should be 9 and Barao should be 10. The rest of it is debatable but not too bad.

Back