Sherdog opinion: How long will McGregor stay at 145?

CPH

street lethal
@Gold
Reaction score
Given that:

- he's one the biggest weight cutters in the division
- has looked ragged in his two last weigh-ins
- IV ban takes effect towards the end of this year

How long do you feel he has before the move to LW becomes necessary?

A. will announce move after TUF
B. immediately after fighting Aldo
C. stays at 145 for at least 6 more fights

Can he make 145 with the IV ban?

If not, then obviously as soon as the IV ban comes into effect.

I don't think he's moving up as long as the fight against Aldo is next. Which it (most likely) still is.

I guess I could see him moving up after that fight.

In other words: B.

How he looks at the weighins doesn't matter coz he always looks awesome come fight night.

I think he will beat Aldo, defend the belt once in Dublin and then move up to leightweight

Given that:

- he's one the biggest weight cutters in the division
- has looked ragged in his two last weigh-ins
- IV ban takes effect towards the end of this year

How long do you feel he has before the move to LW becomes necessary?

A. will announce move after TUF
B. immediately after fighting Aldo
C. stays at 145 for at least 6 more fights

Until the entire top ten lines up and begs for his forgiveness

Personally, I feel that B is most likely, but there are some indications that A might be a possibility as well.

Reason I'm making this poll is because I feel like it's a very pertinent topic, and one that should give us all a different perspective on matchup discussions, fighter comments, etc..

How he looks at the weighins doesn't matter coz he always looks awesome come fight night.

I think he will beat Aldo, defend the belt once in Dublin and then move up to leightweight

Edgar gets his shot at CM and then he moves up.

Personally I believe if he beats Aldo, he will have a rematch with him depending on how dominant he was or have a defense against Frankie or Holloway. He would probably then move up to fight Nate Diaz.

If he loses to Aldo, I think he would then move up to 155. The UFC would then rebuild him and say he was cutting to much weight at 145lbs and that at 155 he is more dangerous and less drained etc etc.

Either way the UFC will br rolling in the money Conor brings in.

somewhere between B and C, I see him moving up after 3-4 more fights...

Immediately after fighting Aldo

I agree with this.

I reckon he fights one more time (maybe two if there is an Aldo rematch) at FW and the moves up.

I think Aldo will retire and will not fight McGregor. McGregor will fight Edgar/Holloway/Faber and defend the FW title and then move up to LW.

Forever, barring a novelty fight.

Aldo has the TDD to compete with the bigger boys at LW. Conor does not. Any top LW would easily grapplefuck him.

That's not even counting rangier strikers like Cowboy and Nate. Conor uses his height and reach advantage excellently, once he's faced with rangy giants like those guys he will become the nail instead of the hammer.

It just isn't a division he would have success in.

Probably for as long as he's winning fights and collecting those gigantic pay cheques. Once he loses, I can see him bolting straight to lightweight, whether he loses in a few months or a few years is anyone's guess.

I think the severity of his weightcut is overplayed a bit. He seems to have it dialled in very well. He made 145 championship weight against Siver when it was completely unnecessary. He does look like shit at the weigh ins but he has no lack of energy, he goes out there screaming and flexing and going crazy towards his opponent.

No more than 3 fights. 2 against Aldo and 1 against Edgar, most likely.

I think the severity of his weightcut is overplayed a bit. He seems to have it dialled in very well. He made 145 championship weight against Siver when it was completely unnecessary. He does look like shit at the weigh ins but he has no lack of energy, he goes out there screaming and flexing and going crazy towards his opponent.

Sure, he is screaming and flexing for 30 sec during the weigh in but just watch the post weigh-in interviews. He can barely string words together. I don't know about you but I've never seen a UFC fighter so out of it during these types of interviews.

And we still haven't seen him in a single high paced fight that goes longer than 2 rounds.

if he beats aldo, he'll defend against edgar. if he wins again, he moves up.
if he loses to aldo, he'll move up right away.

I can see him staying for 5 fights including the Aldo Mcgregor 1. I would imagine there will be a clamour for Mcgregor Aldo 2 and Mcgregor Mendes 2, Mcgregor Holloway 2, Mcgregor Edgar(The New Wr4stl3r) maybe Uriah too.

Back