SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 34 Discussion - Ran

Lady Kaede's overall plot to destroy the Ichimonji clan was great in its reveal. and her demise was something that I'm sure inspired Quentin Tarantino for Kill Bill Vol.1

Are you thinking of Lucy Liu's character? She was inspired by another samurai movie -- the awesome flick Lady Snowblood.

MV5BYjU2ODYzYzctMWFjNS00MTJkLTk3MjYtMzZiZjY5MDhhNWExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I also thought it was interesting that after this scene where Kurogane basically defies his lord/ladies orders he emphatically tells Jiro that they will all die fighting for him...I think in any other movie Jiro would have him killed for disobeying, but this movie goes to lengths to show how respect is shown between Lords-Lords, Lords-Soldiers, and even Lords and their jesters.

I think that's one of those examples of writing human character vs writing just characters. The bond between Jiro and Kurogane brings so much to the situation and makes the moment resonate much more. One thing that separates Jiro from his brothers does seem that he's more of a grounds-levels guy, and has a more personal connection to his retinue. For example, we're introduced to him in his castle sitting on the floor next to his underlings, discussing what to do about his father arriving there, as if he were some sort of equal to them! I don't think his status-obsessed father or older brother would ever have done something like that. Hell, his father couldn't even stomach sitting one inch lower than his son did!

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

Not sure if better than Rashomon though....really tough to pick...

I wouldn't dare to touch that subject with a yard stick either. Such diffrent movies but still among Kurosawa's best.

Fuck ya, this was a great movie sherdog. Even at close to 3 hours this movie kept my attention the whole time. This was my first Akira movie, I have heard of the seven samurai before but never much about the director. Loved the whole thing with all the huge battle scenes, and I was never sure what was going to happen next. Great pick, thanks, now I have to watch all of his movies....Any recomendations for which I should see 2nd?

Fuck ya, this was a great movie sherdog. Even at close to 3 hours this movie kept my attention the whole time. This was my first Akira movie, I have heard of the seven samurai before but never much about the director. Loved the whole thing with all the huge battle scenes, and I was never sure what was going to happen next. Great pick, thanks, now I have to watch all of his movies....Any recomendations for which I should see 2nd?

LOL Jesus, I didn't realize you were going to go so far back in what I'm guessing is an attempt to catch up. But I respect it!

As for other recommendations, the only other Kurosawa film I've seen is Roshomon (on the recommendation . . . nay, not recommendation, outright insistence of @MusterX), but it was very good and I'd definitely recommend it. It's a much smaller movie than Ran--smaller in scope and also about half the length--but a worthy watch.

LOL Jesus, I didn't realize you were going to go so far back in what I'm guessing is an attempt to catch up. But I respect it!

As for other recommendations, the only other Kurosawa film I've seen is Roshomon (on the recommendation . . . nay, not recommendation, outright insistence of @MusterX), but it was very good and I'd definitely recommend it. It's a much smaller movie than Ran--smaller in scope and also about half the length--but a worthy watch.

Its a good flick, especially for the time period it was made, impressively good for 1950.

Back