SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 220 - Bait (2019)

This is where the real brilliance and originality of the film lies. Its very experimental. Shot in black and white with a vintage Bolex camera on 16mm it has a very vintage look to it, complete with crackles and imperfections on the film itself.

I really dug the style of this film. Not just the raw visuals, but the blemished style reminded me a lot of some low budget horror films I used to watch back in my edgelord phase. Films like Begotten

7WA3.gif

I thought this style combined with the brief, distant interactions between people give this a very bleak mood which works really well with the plot. I sympathized with Mike as stubborn and childish as he was. I guess to me a fisherman is a very rugged and respectable job so seeing one in this state and as simple as he was made me kinda sad. But all the characters (being so basic with the bland, meaningless dialogue and the general scarcity of dialogue) ended up blending into the environment so you get a wider sense of the town and its changes and its growing divides. I really liked this. It got across its points about class divides and the weight of traditions pretty well, when so many other movies would rely on waffle and cliches for this issue.

Marked out for Simon Shepard too (The posh dude). Had totally forgotten about him. I'm gonna fire up some Peak Practice

Typing on my phone so fingers crossed this comes out okay.

Wow what a bizarre experience. I'm still not sure whether I liked it or hated it....

"A brilliant, hypnotically strange and fascinating film..

Take away "brilliant" and I think this sums up the film very nicely. Also, good review in general Rimbaud82. Anyhow....

The coastal areas of the UK and the fishing culture in general isn't really something that interests me and never has. Even from a movie perspective. This coming from a guy that's situated slap bang in the middle of the UK with no water around for at least 100 miles. Sure, Cornwall is a beautiful place but I'd probably sit down and watch a series of Doc Martin if I wanted to see that area of our country in its full glory.

I found most of the plot / story a little basic and predictable at times, which isn't a huge issue, but I just don't think it was anything special or memorable. The characters were similar too, definately not memorable and a little bit plain - but I think that's what you should expect from a movie of this nature, so that wasn't a huge shock... With that being said, the way in which it was filmed and the audio etc, definately will stick with me.

Gonna go with a 5.5/10... Maybe 6.

Typing on my phone so fingers crossed this comes out okay.

Wow what a bizarre experience. I'm still not sure whether I liked it or hated it....

Take away "brilliant" and I think this sums up the film very nicely. Also, good review in general Rimbaud82. Anyhow....

The coastal areas of the UK and the fishing culture in general isn't really something that interests me and never has. Even from a movie perspective. This coming from a guy that's situated slap bang in the middle of the UK with no water around for at least 100 miles. Sure, Cornwall is a beautiful place but I'd probably sit down and watch a series of Doc Martin if I wanted to see that area of our country in its full glory.

I found most of the plot / story a little basic and predictable at times, which isn't a huge issue, but I just don't think it was anything special or memorable. The characters were similar too, definately not memorable and a little bit plain - but I think that's what you should expect from a movie of this nature, so that wasn't a huge shock... With that being said, the way in which it was filmed and the audio etc, definately will stick with me.

Gonna go with a 5.5/10... Maybe 6.

You'd probably have been better off sticking with my inland Nates based lesbians Jacques. ;)

I do think the film is deliberately a bit of a merger of different aspects which are somewhat clichéd, the idea of the gharled old fishermen on a harsh coast exchanging looks but few words and middle class drama and insecurities. Those two aspects sitting side by side somewhat awkwardly I think sells the story well whilst there also often undermined, most obviously Martin isn't just some dignified salt of the earth character but rather has a quicker wit than his supposed "betters".

Last edited:
OrdinaryDistinctDoctorfish-max-1mb.gif

so yeah, please, take your time. maybe even skip Bait.

What!? Why!? It's one of the better films we've seen recently!:D

You seeing this @Bullitt68? This dirty scalawag is purposefully trying to lure you away from the good films the SMC is seeing!<45>

Of course saw it opening week when it was first released in the cinema. I can paste my Letterboxd review - will have a look through the thread later.

That's a really comprehensive review. ;)

As well as this the techniques the film are, as I said very experimental and add a lot to the strangeness of the film. Originally it was shot silently with voice over and sound added later. Visually it does seem like an old silent film at points. This gives the film a strange, surreal quality. Many elements seem to be lifted from film history. A perfect match of style and substance."

I thought this style combined with the brief, distant interactions between people give this a very bleak mood which works really well with the plot.

Yeah this movie really was quite a little marvel when it comes to style.

The only thing I'm unsure about would be the more... "poetic scenes". Like when the nephew dies. And I'm not saying that these are bad. More that they left me in a state of befuddlement. It was like my cortex didn't know quite what emotions to fire as this occured. A bafflement of style, I suppose you cold say.

I would say Bait and Blue almost felt like Masculine/Feminine takes on the same(generally rather ignored in "liberal" cinema these days IMHO)

You know...

I was wondering why the "class"-angle of this movie hit me so hard while in Blue is the Warmest Colour that stuff barely registered. Putting aside investment in the characters (Martin is just more interesting than Adèle). I kind of get the impression that.... the heart of Blue isn't it's class-angle, it is it's "youth-angle". The focus of the film seemed to be more about those strong and sudden passions you experience as an adolescent, when you become absolutely infatuated with someone's physical form. That blind rush of love you feel, when politics or context don't seem to matter, as well as longing for it whence it passed. In comparison, when the subject of class was introduced in Blue (like, say, in the two dinner scenes with the families), I frankly found its apparent... perfunctory. Though impressions of being perfunctory is how I'd explain a lot of that film.

Contrasted with Bait... man, Bait is just so much more hard-hitting when it comes to its handling of class. It really has a sense for the small humiliations that occur when you're culturally colonized. Martin is a proudful man. He knows what he wants to do. He knows how he wants to live. Being a fisherman is his dream and that dream stares at him every day. The sea is presented as a reverent and lovable thing, made an icon without being sentimentalized, provider of fish and calming vistas.

But society has changed. And "progression" has flushed away people like him and his ilk. He's fighting against the inexorable advance of history to preserve his rustic way of life, and as always, such things are doomed to slow extinctions.

There is that saying about The Sea being a Cruel Mistress. Well... not in this film it isn't.

You could argue as well the films also a bit of a reflection not just on the plight of the locals but also of the middle class characters, especially the men. The women come across as much more grounded and sure of themselves but Tim and Hugo are emasculated pretty ruthlessly by Martin and generally come across as very petty

That's an acute observation.

i don’t think he’s a prick at all. he’s a fisherman w/ no boat (a nice bit of absurd humor) who saves up his money for a boat in a cookie tin like a child who saves his allowance for the candy store, but is constantly dipping into that tin to help others, despite his charity constantly setting him back on his goal. he’s a little rough around the edges, to be sure, but he has a good heart.

* The main character is a prick. But his financial and ethical struggle too keep his convictions is really interesting. Aside the can/box with the few bucks he can hardly save and his limited interactions with his brother about the orientation of their business (which he "wins" at the end) there is not much development into that.

I think Martin is a very well-sketched character. You can see it in how he relate to other people. His spite towards his "traitor" brother, his "big brother"-attitude towards his nephew, his resentment towards the tourists, his friendliness towards his niece despite her being such a fuck-up, him donating daily fish to the local elders, his pride in his vanishing way of life. The nuance of lived-experience overhangs all these interactions. He's not a person of a set-pair of characteristics but someone who acts based on prior history and experiences. That's the hallmark of being good written.

This coming from a guy that's situated slap bang in the middle of the UK with no water around for at least 100 miles.

giphy-4-6.gif

britannia.gif

@HenryFlower, here is an artist's rendering of me watching Bait:

Lgk8V7T.jpg

I know what this was. This was a grand conspiracy between you, @Rimbaud82, and @Yotsuya. You three got together and cooked up a scheme to make me watch a low-budget pseudo-art film school-level piece of shit so bad that it'd actually make me want to watch The Lighthouse. And then you got @europe1 to play a Jedi mind trick on me and tell me that Henry's plan was to make me not want to watch a movie that I really should want to watch when really I shouldn't have watched it :confused:

In all seriousness, I feel bad for all the shit that I talked about The Lighthouse, because when you see a movie like Bait you realize not only that there are levels to this but how many levels there are and how bad the shit on the lower levels can really be. Maybe it's because I've seen so many shitty film school projects (I even made one), or maybe it's because I've seen so many horrendous experimental/avant-garde movies that made me want to commit seppuku, but I hated every last thing about this movie. Years after he made Fear and Desire, Kubrick was so embarrassed by his youthful artistic pretensions that he tried to have the film erased from the universe. Fear and Desire is fucking Citizen Kane next to Bait. Bait is everything that's so cringey about film school movies, or movies made by people who like to think of themselves as artistic even though they don't have any talent. The script was terrible, the acting was worse (compounded by the shitty kung fu movie level syncing), the editing made me think that someone had just got done learning about Soviet Montage. I mean, was this a film school project? Had someone just finished learning about Sergei Eisenstein and Maya Deren?

Why did you make us watch this, Henry?

vF6.gif

I know what this was. This was a grand conspiracy between you, @Rimbaud82, and @Yotsuya. You three got together and cooked up a scheme to make me watch a low-budget pseudo-art film school-level piece of shit so bad that it'd actually make me want to watch The Lighthouse. And then you got @europe1 to play a Jedi mind trick on me and tell me that Henry's plan was to make me not want to watch a movie that I really should want to watch when really I shouldn't have watched it

@Rimbaud82, @Yotsuya, @HenryFlower ... WE GOT HIM!

BrokenRespectfulHoneybadger-size_restricted.gif

lol I thought you'd relate to the theme of knowing what your passion is and struggling to achieve it.:p

the editing made me think that someone had just got done learning about Soviet Montage.

Well I think this was more an esthetic choice of the director rather than his inability to craft something more complex. He wanted to communicate an old-timey feel (and problem some might say) onto a modern setting for the disconnect that this generates.

tenor.gif

lol I thought you'd relate to the theme of knowing what your passion is and struggling to achieve it.:p

You know what a theme contained within a terrible movie is worth?

giphy.webp

This is why I think that Ozu is the most overrated filmmaker of all-time. Literally nothing about any of his movies is even good - let alone great, let alone masterpiece-level, let alone among the GOAT, let alone the GOAT - except his themes. But you've got to give me more than just a theme, man.

giphy.gif

@Rimbaud82, @Yotsuya, @HenryFlower ... WE GOT HIM!

BrokenRespectfulHoneybadger-size_restricted.gif

Well I think this was more an esthetic choice of the director rather than his inability to craft something more complex. He wanted to communicate an old-timey feel (and problem some might say) onto a modern setting for the disconnect that this generates.
i knew he would be too square for Bait.

giphy.gif

Back