SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 215 - Good Time

It had a style and aesthetic like an all-action sploogefest through a grimy neon underworld but in terms of ideas/writing/plot it was really lame. I thought it really called for a Crank style plot especially when you threw in a (really enjoyable) tightly wound, single minded performance from Pattinson. The hospital scene and its payoff for example felt like a sitcom bit. I felt like it should've been something like his bro gets exploded out of a 50th story window during a shootout with a SWAT team, but it ends up being ok because he sees some blonde hair on some skull so he had the wrong guy. I get that it probably didn't have the budget for shit like that but the writing and script feels very sober and lacking any kind of flair or charisma. Plus there's an awful lot of padding and plot convenience too. This need for some silly, spectacular violence wasn't helped when midway through Connie started looking like a whitewashed Kakihara from Ichi the Killer

Serpentine-Forked-Axolotl-size-restricted.gif

But I did like Pattinson and Safdie as a duo and I think one reason I ended up so disappointed is that I got invested into the film and the bros early on. I've only seen Pattinson in one other movie (Map to the Stars) and I've been pretty impressed with him tbh. I liked the O'Reily from Oz comparison ITT except I looked at it far more kindly. I like the fast talking petty criminal shtick

Back