1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 215 - Good Time

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by europe1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

[​IMG]
    Our Directors
    Safdie Brothers
    [​IMG]
    Stars

The Dauphin
    [​IMG]

Film Overview

Premise:
    After a botched bank robbery lands his younger brother in prison, Connie Nikas embarks on a twisted odyssey through New York City's underworld to get his brother Nick out of jail.

Budget: $2 million

Box Office: $4.1 million

Trivia
    (courtesy of IMDB)
    * After a while, Robert Pattinson's hair started falling out in chunks, due to the many times they bleached it. After dyeing it black first (to make him look more like Benny Safdie who plays his brother), they peroxided it to blonde and had to bleach it back and forth several times until they got all the scenes and the required color. They shot scenes in the bathroom where he actually applies the hair dye in front of the mirror, but the scene didn't make it to the final film because it slowed down the pace of the movie. When shooting wrapped, he shaved it all off, which led to the mugshot photo of him on TV, which was taken a day after filming finished.

* The Safdies hired real cops for the mall chase scene. The crew filmed during regular business hours while the mall was open to the public, so reactions in the final cut are genuine, from real customers. Some mall customers even tried to stop the cops from chasing the actors.

* The scene in the subway was shot during rush hour with real passengers on the 7 train. In order to shoot unnoticed, they directed Pattinson by text messages while the camera and crew was filming in the same wagon.

* As part of the character development, the make-up went through different stages to get the required look of Pattinson. They tested fake prostate noses and Robert interacted with people from the street to see if it looked realistic. As a final result, they created fake pockmarks to get the greasy skin. An inspiration for this was Tommy Lee Jones who portrayed Gary Gilmore.

* Josh Safdie about visiting jail for preparation: "When we were developing the look of Connie, we brought Rob (Pattinson) to an active jail. I had become friends with the warden, this woman Raylene, who is actually in the movie as the voice of the operator at Elmhurst. And I befriended through this interesting character who I knew, the commissioner of jails. So we had this unfettered access and when we brought Rob there, he didn't say a word because his accent wasn't down yet, but he'd be able to walk around and see what a real jail looks and feels like and what it's like to be going through the system. We had like notepads and stuff and everybody kind of thought we were from the city and asked for their lawyers. Rob went in an oversized hoodie, so nobody could recognize him and he looked a bit like a teenager. I think someone actually asked if he was there for Scared Straight." (laughs)

Members: @europe1 @SwampThing @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @HTTR21 @Bullitt68 @Yotsuya @jei @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @the ambush @SalvadorAllende @moreorless87 @EL CORINTHIAN @HenryFlower @Zer

Zer, HARRISON_3 and HenryFlower like this.
  2. HTTR21 Changing roosters into hens.

Okay so I went and watched this after I watched the 7th victim. dude Robert Patterson plays such a POS. Who takes their mentally retarded brother on a bank heist? This movie reminded me a lot of the people I grew up with though with the south pole jackets and shit.

The best part of the movie for me was when he was getting his “brother” out of the hospital. That was a nail biter and you could feel his anxiety while the bus was getting ready to go. Shew.

He would do anything for his brother from using a stolen credit card to forcing a bottle of liquid LSD down someone’s throat. Speaking of which that was totally fucked. Could you imagine getting your asswhooped and knocked out only to wake up tripping massive balls and getting carried away my EMTs? I kinda wanna know what that feels like since I have experience with psychedelics but I can imagine how terrifying that is because you didn’t know you were dosed.

I did enjoy the ending with his brother in class moving on. It was nice to see that.

overall 7/10. It was entertaining but the obnoxious score really bothered me. The movie itself was nothing special and I’ll probably never watch it again.

Zer and europe1 like this.
  3. HTTR21 Changing roosters into hens.

Also another thing that really bothered me was that banks rarely use ink bombs now due to it exploding before the robber leaves the bank. That made for great entertainment but it’s not authentic these days. Most banks use dummy money that can be tracked

Zer, Bubzeh and europe1 like this.
  4. Bubzeh Silver Belt

I saw this the night after Uncut Gems so it was a good opportunity to compare the two. Will do a write up when I’m at work tommorrow but I thought this was better than Uncut.

HARRISON_3 and europe1 like this.
  5. HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

I'm a huge fan of the flicks that come out of A24.

Really off the wall, unique and interesting films.

I thought Good Time had really good pacing and a lot of wtf moments.

This was the first movie I've actually seen with Robert Pattinson and I thought he knocked it outta the park. Totally believable as a self centered pos.

I was hoping he'd get away with it, though. Crazy how he just kept fucking up everybody's life who came into contact with him.

That one dude that he got outta the hospital...oof.

The brother did kinda piss me off for some reason, but I guess it wasn't his fault.

I actually dug the score.

Almost felt like it had a sci-fi feel to it. Kinda reminded me of Scanners.

Quality flick, IMO

Zer, europe1, HTTR21 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MusterX Titanium Belt

Finding out you broke your brother out of a hospital with armed police guards only later to realize its not your brother. --- Priceless.

It only gets more hilarious from there though because the guy he broke out of the hospital, Ray, just got out of prison and immediately slammed a bottle of whiskey, took a huge dose of Xanax, and then dropped some acid. His story only becomes more convoluted as he meets a guy at a game arcade who just robbed a Radio Shack...a Radio Shack. Half the people watching this film don't even know what a Radio Shack is. I don't know what amused me more, the story above or the fact that Connie made out with a 16 year old like a pedo to prevent her from seeing the news of his bank robbery then drove her around town and told her, you wait here, I'm going to go in this guys house and take a shit.

This movie could be divided into Bank Robbery, Bail Bondsman, Hospital, Stranger's house, Carnival, Conclusion. Although the film is watchable, it seemed to me that with each passing scene we traveled further and further from the object of Connie's mission, which was to free his brother Nick from jail. In fact, we traveled so far from Nick that at one point I found myself watching Connie careen from scene to scene toward his predictable and inevitable end and wasn't even thinking of Nick. I'm not even sure what Connie's plan was if he actually had freed his brother, they both would have still been wanted by the law and likely captured.

Other problems include why were they robbing a bank to begin with, how did Nick get off free, and what happened to Connie? These are things we just don't know. That said, it was still a watchable 6.5 or 7/10.

Special mention to Security Guy who had 300 hits of acid poured down his throat. That guy is still tripping balls right now.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Zer, europe1, Yotsuya and 3 others like this.
  7. Scott Parker 27 Your Mom's Box

I remember liking this when I first saw it. Still pretty good. Pattinson, I always thought he was just a teenage ass, but it seems like he is turning the curve and actually becoming a legit actor. What else has he been in that has been good?

europe1, Bubzeh and HARRISON_3 like this.
  8. Bubzeh Silver Belt

As a non-American, I always love seeing New York in movies and this one was no different. I thought it was shot and filmed really well. As mentioned, I liked this much more than Uncut Gems. I didn't know too much about these directors prior to these two films, but after watching both, I can appreciate what they have done, even if I don't love their style.

I thought it was pretty gripping and at the end I had sympathy for both. Not just the brother that kept being dragged into things. That scene with the dog though. 2 or 3 straight minutes of trying to listen to the scene but there's a bloody dog going wild all the way throughout. Drove me mad.

Story and plot etc got a bit messy and silly in patches as it went along imo. Few unrealistic things that Pattinson's character did, including stealing the wrong brother.......... But the dude just kept digging that deep hole he was in, deeper and deeper. Really liked the ending. Was surprising to an extent but I think it was a good way to end this one.

7/10 for me. Wouldn't watch again but a good enough time killer.

Forgot about that scene. Agreed.

The Rover has been on my to-watch list since its release. Still never got round to it so I'm tempted to give that a shot when I can find a method for doing so!

Zer, HARRISON_3 and Scott Parker 27 like this.
  9. HTTR21 Changing roosters into hens.

The lighthouse is the shit

10. HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

Gonna watch that one this weekend.

Been on my radar.

11. Yotsuya Purple Belt

Like with Uncut Gems I spent most of the time wondering if the movie was crap or not, but towards the end got into it’s groove and the climax scene was a pay-off that made the experience well worthwhile.

Main thought after seeing the movie: Pouring a bottle of LSD down someone’s throat is the most fucked up thing I’ve seen in a movie this year. One dose is about 0.1 ml. So if it was a 1 dl bottle, that’s 1000 doses of acid! Good luck with that.
    upload_2020-6-25_19-20-3.jpeg

HARRISON_3 and europe1 like this.
  12. KOQ24 Gold Belt

My fave Film of 2017.

Pattinson is owning that role.
    He might be dumb and pathetic, but he genuinely cared for his Brother.He just couldn't get over his stupidity.
    Safdie Bros. always do a great job of letting their Films climax at the right time.They always build up until exploding at the very End.
    Feels a lot like Sidney Lumet used to do it.
    I loved the soundtrack & cinematography too.

Zer, HARRISON_3 and Yotsuya like this.
  13. Yotsuya Purple Belt

This was the biggest mind fuck of the movie. He did all that and in the end we see the brother starting to do pretty well in the institution.

HARRISON_3 likes this.
  14. moreorless87 Straba

You could argue I spose such a person might view his brothers condition as somehow reflecting negatively on himself but also perhaps going against what seems like a right wing individualist view were admitting weakness is shunned. That really seemed to be the story of the film, seeing such a character come though all these situations showing quite a high degree of intelligence and self confidence inline with that mindset but ultimately end up moving further and further from his goal, he can't rise above his situation or the vagaries of chance. The last shot of him in the police car even brings to mind the end of Long Good Friday with Harold Shand suffering a similar kind of fate.

The main appeal of the film for me though besides Pattinsons performance would be how effectively it builds its acid trip rabbit hole atmosphere, as events get more and more out of hand. It standards off pretty standard arthouse shallow focus closeups but becomes ever more colourful and disconcerting.

europe1 likes this.
  15. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

This movie sucked two big fat nuts. Why don't people know how to write scripts anymore? And why work so hard to make a movie with a two million dollar budget look like it was made for two thousand dollars? "Film School Chic" isn't a thing you no-talent assclowns.

This was just a mess of a movie narratively speaking, and aesthetically speaking it was trying so hard, with its indie handheld camerawork and especially that God awful techno-sounding-nails-on-a-chalkboard-equivalent "score," to force a feeling of intensity that so clearly wasn't there that it made the lack of intensity all the more laughable and pathetic. After trying to do the O'Reily brothers shtick from Oz - and OG Emerald City inmate Poet even showed up as that ambulance driver - and doing it very badly, this movie turned into a shitty version of Judgment Night. I almost tapped out when the bandaged-not-brother went through that interminable flashback. Shoving in a new character who I couldn't give less of a fuck about - and giving me more information and backstory about him than the ostensible main fucking characters! - when I'm supposed to be investing everything into the brothers was the worst decision in a movie full of retarded decisions. When he jumped to his death (or fell - I was beyond caring by that point) I was relieved that I at least got one win out of this terrible movie.

[​IMG]

Zer and europe1 like this.
  16. Yotsuya Purple Belt

I think it was brotherly love thing. Connie hated the idea that Nick would be labeled and institutionalised. That way he would pretty much loose a brother, so he had probably gotten the idea into Nick's head, that therapy was abuse and that's how Nick got so agitated in the first scene. With Connie gone, Nick adjusted to environment that suited him way better than life of crime.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    europe1 likes this.
  17. Yotsuya Purple Belt

This was my reaction too most of the time and I might have given up on this if I wasn't watching it on recommendation by Brett Easton Ellis. In the end Good Time manages to achieve awkward catharsis thanks to it’s giddy script when the down spiral hits rock bottom very far off from where it started and the institutionalised brother seems to do better regardless.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    europe1 likes this.
  18. moreorless87 Straba

The closest we get to Connie's world view is his rant to Ray which seems of the right wing libertarian variety, to that mindset a life being supported by others would be looked down on greatly. I would agree its not the most weighty of films but that does seem to be were its substance is to me, seeing Connie is both highly manipulative to those around him but ultimately ineffective as well, he's just a small time crook and however smart he thinks he is he can't avoid his fate. Him and Ray are following an ideology that will never give them success.

In terms of the visuals I found the opening scenes rather by the numbers modern indie with shallow focus closeups abounding but again as it progressed I did think they became very effective, not sure I'd put it up there with something like Under the Skin but there was an effective atmosphere of events getting more and more out of control. The prolonged sky shot of the car traveling to the theme park especially I felt worked very well.

europe1 likes this.
  19. Yotsuya Purple Belt

Importance of self-resilience among blood relatives is a very common theme in similar stories, so calling it libertarian or right wing seems overblown. @Bullitt68 pointed out a good comparison in O'Reily brothers in Oz.

20. KOQ24 Gold Belt

[​IMG]

HARRISON_3 and Yotsuya like this.