SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 144 - Ready Player One

I will say the reason I joined this club was to find movies to add to my dvd/blueray collection. I'm a crazy collector but feel my collection is lacking a bit. I only have like 20ish movies in it, some sports stuff which I won't quantify because it only relates to STL sports, and the first season of True Detective. One day I'll add the whole Game of Thrones Series. That said I haven't found a single movie to add to my collection by joining this club and this doesn't change that. That said I'm like 50/50 if I want to buy Dr. Strangelove (that was before I joined the club but not long before). I'll probably buy it.

Super long story short, this movie wouldn't make the club. I enjoyed the ride though and would probably give it a 7/10.

On the surface it seems like it, but in the movie they touch on how the Oasis is destroying society since no one wants to leave. In the book it's a lot more pronounced and the main character is very conflicted with his choice in the end. It was a lot to cram into a movie, so they only touched on it.

As someone who loved the book, I thought the movie was really fun. There was some things from the book I would have loved to see in the movie, but trying to cram everything into a single movie was tough. I would have loved to see it as a Trilogy with each movie tackling one of the Keys/Gates, but I don't think they wanted to take the risk of the first movie in a trilogy tanking and not getting the steam for the follow ups.

I liked the movie. Can't imagine watching 3 of them though haha. It's a lil corny for me to invest more time than I already did.

First impression, ten minutes in:

Seems like a movie for nerdy young teenagers.
Some interesting visuals, but I really don't care for the characters..

Aech's voice is just awful.

"How do we mash every movie ever into one movie? VR!"

My movie stopped working 40 minutes in and I had no desire to fix it.
Looks like this game just wasn't mine to play...
giphy.gif

In conclusion, I could not stand the narration.
Definitely felt like the narration of a children's movie.

I will say the reason I joined this club was to find movies to add to my dvd/blueray collection. That said I haven't found a single movie to add to my collection by joining this club and this doesn't change that.
I know you haven't been in the club since day one, but I find it hard to believe that after 145 films, you haven't found a single one you'd want to own. What's your favorite film of all the ones you've watched with us to date? I'm pretty sure you joined officially in Phase 8 so there's a good 100+ films to look back on, but still, there's been some very solid selections since last July. Go through the Google Doc on the first post (a more detailed examination) to look through them all.

That said, this week was definitely not the one to accomplish that (adding a film to your library). I'll have a lot more to say about this soon, but I wanted to mention the point you raised first.

I will say this about the movie

It made me read the book which I enjoyed more

The book is not as fast paced as the movie is so you have time to let things happen

Wade does more in the book. He has more responsibility

I know you haven't been in the club since day one, but I find it hard to believe that after 145 films, you haven't found a single one you'd want to own. What's your favorite film of all the ones you've watched with us to date? I'm pretty sure you joined officially in Phase 8 so there's a good 100+ films to look back on, but still, there's been some very solid selections since last July. Go through the Google Doc on the first post (a more detailed examination) to look through them all.

That said, this week was definitely not the one to accomplish that (adding a film to your library). I'll have a lot more to say about this soon, but I wanted to mention the point you raised first.

If I had a 4k player and a 4k tv I'd add this to my library

It has enough eye candy in it

Its like Speed Racer. Not a great movie but worth watching for the visuals

Okay so I believe I joined at movie 114 which was Coherence. I missed quite a few weeks too when I was busy but I'll look through and give myself a recap. Three Billboards was excellent and I'd probably rate it an 8/10 but I'm not sure about me re-watching it so I wouldn't buy it. Birdman was a great movie but same thing as Three Billboards. I'd probably rate it an 8/10 as well. Cindarella Man was my week and I already own it because it's by far my favorite boxing movie. Before I joined you guys watched a lot of ones I need to see. You also watched Dr. Strangelove which like I said I'm 50/50 on buying that, great movie and the comedy still translates. Ya'll also watched Prisoners which is probably in my top 10-15 movies and I already own it. I'm stingy, I don't want it in my collection unless I think it's amazing and I'll re-watch it numerous times.

I want to watch a ton of ones ya'll watched though cuz you guys picked some real interesting ones before I joined.

Better cgi scenes than any of the avengers movies or disney shit that has been out the last few years.

What a huge disappointment. The entire thing was a wink or nod or reference. I'm a serious purveyor of references but this was exhausting.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it sounds like the Oasis is a positive spin on what's been shown as a pretty negative upcoming trend in society. I read that whole Mother Horse Eyes thing recently for example and one of its plot threads is that in the future people will just hook up into a virtual reality and stay there indefinitely while their bodies fester and decay in the real world. It's told from the perspective of workers who have to recover and clean up after these people when their life-support equipment starts malfunctioning. I suppose The Matrix is dat more popular presentation of people being blissfully ignorant and sort of abandoning their physical bodies (Not willingly in most cases there but you get the idea). I'm sure there are other depictions in media that I'm not thinking of right now. Gonna be interesting comparing the two different perspectives on dis shit

As a non streamer I admit I don't consider it worth the new DVD price so it will probably take until I pickup a cheaper used one to see it and then dredge up this thread.

Personally my view is in the future your doing to see a shift in demand from human resources away from the kind of bureaucracy management class that exists today towards a mix of the physical and the creative. Robotics is really lagging behind computing power(not to mention far more expensive) when it comes to advances and the result I suspect will be a lot of white collar work will end up being automated and replaced with blue collar jobs that aren't possible to easily automate. I suspect that will keep much of the population in the real world for a good amount of their lives even if a very immersive online experience exists.

Nostalgia wise it does seem strange that certain decades take off and others don't, I would say from a UK perspective you had a strong 60's nostalgia starting sometime in the mid/late 80's lasting until sometime around the early 00's. The 70's never really seemed to come back as much and the 80's revival started soon after the 60's one ended. I remember singing this ironically over TFC/Halflife voice coms circa 2001 which was closer to its release than we are to that time today.

I spose you could argue that a more unified mainstream culture is really whats most important, the 70's would arguably be my favourite decade for music and perhaps for cinema as well yet the "good stuff" was generally somewhat more outsiderish or at least aimed at adult audiences.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting I'd like this film since it sounded like very cheap fan service and I'm always happy to hate on Spielberg, but it was fine I guess.

One thing that's weird is that I thought Ready Player One was some ancient, prophetic book from like the 60's or something. I'd heard nothing about it when it actually released in 2011, and I'd heard it spoken of with dat reverence usually reserved for old time classics. I must have gotten it confused with something else.

I can't say I was too rustled by the references because the movie had a dumb innocence about it. They do hold the movie back though and it never rises above being a fluff piece. I thought a lot about the book Snow Crash, which is a classic from 1992 that also fucked with virtual reality in similar ways to RPO. Fans of RPO would dig Snow Crash I think. It's from a pre-nostalgia time I guess, and back then they were trying to forget the 80's rather than remember them so it's making a lot of shit up as it goes rather than dredging up memories.

One thing I will say about the nostalgia - for the most part it at least fit aesthetically into the movie but the soundtrack didn't at all.

I had a sense that a lot of RPO was bad by design. Like I said before, there's a dumb innocence to it that was cold showering me the entire time and I couldn't really be mad at it and perhaps this was a calculated move? Some of the dialogue is atrocious and some of the voice acting is amateurish. I don't watch many modern movies at all but I want to say the cast was fresh outta some Hollywood pool party, inexperienced and a bit terrible, possibly all getting their first big breaks? I'm not a Spielberg fan but he's pretty savvy. A lot of 80's nostalgia pieces coming out these days are deliberately bad and avoid taking themselves seriously, and I guess Spielberg took some cues from this.

Overall I'd call the movie disarming I suppose. I was ready to blast it but despite my problems it won me over on some levels.

^ I felt similarly. It wasn't good enough to heap praise on but wasn't bad enough to take the time to shit on.

How about a shrug and a smile

<Fedor23>

Fans of RPO would dig Snow Crash I think. It's from a pre-nostalgia time I guess, and back then they were trying to forget the 80's rather than remember them so it's making a lot of shit up as it goes rather than dredging up memories.
While both take the subject matter of delving into online alter egos, I think the books could not be more different. RPO is a love letter while Stephenson tends to fall into the genre of premonitory satire -- and both density of story as well as mastery over language are far superior to that of RPO. SNOW CRASH is just a better book, and its man-child fantasy is less precious and conspicuous. They hide it better with more evocative scenes and characters.

I'm glad the film jettisoned much of the novel's plot and scope.

I'll finally throw my hat in the ring for real discussing this. I read the book a few years ago, and the film deviated from it in many ways needlessly and frustratingly. I won't be a purist since I know films aren't made from books verbatim, but to change massive moments like Art getting captured (in the books, it's Wade that gets taken), or entire key hunts, or anything related to Blade Runner, or the fact that they didn't actually meet each other for real until the very end of the book took away from it a lot. I won't continue on the book vs film discussion and will just dive in to the film as a whole. So, if I address plot moments initially from the book, that's just what happens. This review's going to be a beast.

This was a profoundly sad film. Like, even when the good guys won in the end, it was just a long chain of depression, misery and sadness. Of course it's fictional so the horrible things can be amplified because after all, it's a rebellion vs evil empire situation. The world is garbage so everyone is forced to live in a virtual world and doesn't know how to interact with each other. Instead of improving the world, there's nothing more we can do with it and oh well, just escape because that's all we have. That's so sad to me as a concept. I guess I'm glad it was a little realistic in one simple aspect - the kids won and took over the company, but nothing else really changed besides shutting down the Nexus (that's what I call it) for a day or two a week, besides shutting down those obviously unconstitutional and illegal and plenty of other things slavery centers. At the end, nothing really changed, other than the lives of a couple kids and the limiting of that IOI corporation along with the removal of the head and chief of security. Did Wade use the powerful company he ran along with the others to start fixing the world? Nah. He just got a deluxe apartment in the sky at the cost of his family (ok, his aunt and his not-uncle), his privacy, his safety, and almost his life. Cool cool cool.

But think of all that was lost along the way for the entire world. Every character that got involved in the battle on that planet lost everything from that nuke. People put in their lives to build up those characters because that was validating for them, and in an instant, it was all nixed. I'm sure in their world, many people spent real money and a whole lot of time and energy, and were all wiped out. I don't know if I missed a line saying everything was reset, but since it wasn't an item from the system and instead from a third party (the IOI company) I don't know if they'd fix it. I mean maybe they handled it like the White Belt Uprising, we had to reset everything back several days because white belts gained admin powers and started deleting the forum itself. Or, maybe it was just one of those clean sweeps, I think like that game Everquest, when they wiped everything and every character started from scratch. I only know of that game because I had a family member that built and sold characters for it, so maybe I misremembered it but I think they hard reset the entire universe of that game. Either way, did the people stop playing the game and live their lives normally? Nope, they went back to playing except on the off days.

This felt like a kids film to me, but it couldn't be a kids film because it was jam packed with references and content made for people like me in my 30s. That's a massive problem with this picture: they didn't know who their target audience was. The plot was simplified and dumbed down, so it didn't make me think. It was chock full of forced emotional moments that it didn't resonate, it was just a long chain of bad things happening to somewhat good people because that's the way life is or something. And then we got the terrible teen romance, with the guy trying to save the girl and eventually winning her heart. Yawn. The whole third act of this extremely long picture (seriously, two hours and 20 minutes was too much for what little they had to offer) was just a mess. It juggled so many balls, and yet it was so lackluster in the resolution. Despite all that, there was no social commentary to speak of, no real takeaways, and nothing beyond "wow that must have been expensive to make with all that CGI." It was all just pop culture references jammed down our throats.

References. I love references, I make more of them than I should realistically, but it's part of the game. This film was just stuffed to the rafters with them that it made me get tired of them. Seeing the 60s Batmobile crash during the race in the beginning wasn't a "tee hee it's the Batmobile" moment as much as it was the kind of reaction Tony Stark made when he exaggeratedly rolled his eyes. Yeah, I feel gross referencing a bunch of references with yet another reference, but that's the state that this movie put me in. It wasn't nostalgic for me. It didn't make me miss the Ninja Turtles (which I could rant about because they used the NEW ninja turtle concepts from the garbage remakes instead of the ones from the original films) or Goldeneye on N64 or anything else. They threw them at us so fast and so aggressively that we'd have to pause the film to catch them all. Seriously, that final battle where everyone's rampaging, what was the point of throwing dozens of little references that we couldn't possibly all catch at once? It was an overload, plain and simple. When an article written after the film came out is legitimately titled "Ready Player One: 101 References You Might Have Missed" and takes several minutes to read through, you know you've gone too far. When the Iron Giant gave the thumbs up while falling into the lava, I wanted to shout at my TV, but the film was mercifully almost over.

An issue with the plot as a whole for me was that basically everything it would take to win the game required basically nothing about knowledge of these references that they abused us with, and instead with an esoteric throwaway line in some video journal he made 30 years ago. It'd be like if the secret of the ownership to the UFC after Dana died fell to us having to root through his old horrible vlogs he used to make. Remember those? I sure do. A buddy of mine even drunkenly sent an email to Loretta Hunt after the infamous vlog where he trashed on her piling on, and she responded with a well-measured and very reasonable response. I don't know if they continued to talk after, but my point lies with the bizarre obscurity that makes basically no sense. This guy Halladay (sp?) loved his games so much, they were all he lived for. He made this alternate reality because he hated the one he lived in, and despite that, winning the ultimate prize had nothing to do with understanding his love for all things pop culture. It had to do with some girl he had a crush on all those years ago. Are we to believe that he lived the rest of his life pining for the one that got away, one that he took to supposedly see "The Shining"? Probably one of the better scenes in the movie, the authenticity they put into the Overlook, but it was all about some girl that married his best friend. That's pretty messed up.

I discovered a drinking game for this film, and it was pretty basic. Drink when people say someone's name, when they get a key, when they go to the Nexus and so on. They also had what they called "hard mode," which makes you drink every time a character is killed or "zeroed out." Now, the end of that film, if you took a drink for everyone that croaked, you'd die. So, that's something. Since I'm not planning on ever watching this again, I won't know how bad it gets.

5.5/10, getting that half point bump above a flat 5 because it was visually intriguing.

Also, that poster is a trainwreck. Why spoil some of the most interesting moments in the film for those unfamiliar with the story by putting the real actors portraying the characters? Why feature them so large but the characters so small, given their relative screen time? The main Avatar posters as well as the Blu Ray cases didn't have pictures of the real guy on it, just the blue people.

I'll finally throw my hat in the ring for real discussing this. I read the book a few years ago, and the film deviated from it in many ways needlessly and frustratingly. I won't be a purist since I know films aren't made from books verbatim, but to change massive moments like Art getting captured (in the books, it's Wade that gets taken), or entire key hunts, or anything related to Blade Runner, or the fact that they didn't actually meet each other for real until the very end of the book took away from it a lot. I won't continue on the book vs film discussion and will just dive in to the film as a whole. So, if I address plot moments initially from the book, that's just what happens. This review's going to be a beast.

This was a profoundly sad film. Like, even when the good guys won in the end, it was just a long chain of depression, misery and sadness. Of course it's fictional so the horrible things can be amplified because after all, it's a rebellion vs evil empire situation. The world is garbage so everyone is forced to live in a virtual world and doesn't know how to interact with each other. Instead of improving the world, there's nothing more we can do with it and oh well, just escape because that's all we have. That's so sad to me as a concept. I guess I'm glad it was a little realistic in one simple aspect - the kids won and took over the company, but nothing else really changed besides shutting down the Nexus (that's what I call it) for a day or two a week, besides shutting down those obviously unconstitutional and illegal and plenty of other things slavery centers. At the end, nothing really changed, other than the lives of a couple kids and the limiting of that IOI corporation along with the removal of the head and chief of security. Did Wade use the powerful company he ran along with the others to start fixing the world? Nah. He just got a deluxe apartment in the sky at the cost of his family (ok, his aunt and his not-uncle), his privacy, his safety, and almost his life. Cool cool cool.

But think of all that was lost along the way for the entire world. Every character that got involved in the battle on that planet lost everything from that nuke. People put in their lives to build up those characters because that was validating for them, and in an instant, it was all nixed. I'm sure in their world, many people spent real money and a whole lot of time and energy, and were all wiped out. I don't know if I missed a line saying everything was reset, but since it wasn't an item from the system and instead from a third party (the IOI company) I don't know if they'd fix it. I mean maybe they handled it like the White Belt Uprising, we had to reset everything back several days because white belts gained admin powers and started deleting the forum itself. Or, maybe it was just one of those clean sweeps, I think like that game Everquest, when they wiped everything and every character started from scratch. I only know of that game because I had a family member that built and sold characters for it, so maybe I misremembered it but I think they hard reset the entire universe of that game. Either way, did the people stop playing the game and live their lives normally? Nope, they went back to playing except on the off days.

This felt like a kids film to me, but it couldn't be a kids film because it was jam packed with references and content made for people like me in my 30s. That's a massive problem with this picture: they didn't know who their target audience was. The plot was simplified and dumbed down, so it didn't make me think. It was chock full of forced emotional moments that it didn't resonate, it was just a long chain of bad things happening to somewhat good people because that's the way life is or something. And then we got the terrible teen romance, with the guy trying to save the girl and eventually winning her heart. Yawn. The whole third act of this extremely long picture (seriously, two hours and 20 minutes was too much for what little they had to offer) was just a mess. It juggled so many balls, and yet it was so lackluster in the resolution. Despite all that, there was no social commentary to speak of, no real takeaways, and nothing beyond "wow that must have been expensive to make with all that CGI." It was all just pop culture references jammed down our throats.

References. I love references, I make more of them than I should realistically, but it's part of the game. This film was just stuffed to the rafters with them that it made me get tired of them. Seeing the 60s Batmobile crash during the race in the beginning wasn't a "tee hee it's the Batmobile" moment as much as it was the kind of reaction Tony Stark made when he exaggeratedly rolled his eyes. Yeah, I feel gross referencing a bunch of references with yet another reference, but that's the state that this movie put me in. It wasn't nostalgic for me. It didn't make me miss the Ninja Turtles (which I could rant about because they used the NEW ninja turtle concepts from the garbage remakes instead of the ones from the original films) or Goldeneye on N64 or anything else. They threw them at us so fast and so aggressively that we'd have to pause the film to catch them all. Seriously, that final battle where everyone's rampaging, what was the point of throwing dozens of little references that we couldn't possibly all catch at once? It was an overload, plain and simple. When an article written after the film came out is legitimately titled "Ready Player One: 101 References You Might Have Missed" and takes several minutes to read through, you know you've gone too far. When the Iron Giant gave the thumbs up while falling into the lava, I wanted to shout at my TV, but the film was mercifully almost over.

An issue with the plot as a whole for me was that basically everything it would take to win the game required basically nothing about knowledge of these references that they abused us with, and instead with an esoteric throwaway line in some video journal he made 30 years ago. It'd be like if the secret of the ownership to the UFC after Dana died fell to us having to root through his old horrible vlogs he used to make. Remember those? I sure do. A buddy of mine even drunkenly sent an email to Loretta Hunt after the infamous vlog where he trashed on her piling on, and she responded with a well-measured and very reasonable response. I don't know if they continued to talk after, but my point lies with the bizarre obscurity that makes basically no sense. This guy Halladay (sp?) loved his games so much, they were all he lived for. He made this alternate reality because he hated the one he lived in, and despite that, winning the ultimate prize had nothing to do with understanding his love for all things pop culture. It had to do with some girl he had a crush on all those years ago. Are we to believe that he lived the rest of his life pining for the one that got away, one that he took to supposedly see "The Shining"? Probably one of the better scenes in the movie, the authenticity they put into the Overlook, but it was all about some girl that married his best friend. That's pretty messed up.

I discovered a drinking game for this film, and it was pretty basic. Drink when people say someone's name, when they get a key, when they go to the Nexus and so on. They also had what they called "hard mode," which makes you drink every time a character is killed or "zeroed out." Now, the end of that film, if you took a drink for everyone that croaked, you'd die. So, that's something. Since I'm not planning on ever watching this again, I won't know how bad it gets.

5.5/10, getting that half point bump above a flat 5 because it was visually intriguing.

tenor.gif

I don't think the movie deserved the time you put into this write-up, but, for my sake reading it, I'm glad you put the time in anyway.

tenor.gif

I don't think the movie deserved the time you put into this write-up, but, for my sake reading it, I'm glad you put the time in anyway.

Same! Good job @jei! You summed up my thoughts beautifully.

The world is garbage so everyone is forced to live in a virtual world and doesn't know how to interact with each other. Instead of improving the world, there's nothing more we can do with it and oh well, just escape because that's all we have. That's so sad to me as a concept. I guess I'm glad it was a little realistic in one simple aspect - the kids won and took over the company, but nothing else really changed besides shutting down the Nexus (that's what I call it) for a day or two a week, besides shutting down those obviously unconstitutional and illegal and plenty of other things slavery centers. At the end, nothing really changed, other than the lives of a couple kids and the limiting of that IOI corporation along with the removal of the head and chief of security. Did Wade use the powerful company he ran along with the others to start fixing the world? Nah. He just got a deluxe apartment in the sky at the cost of his family (ok, his aunt and his not-uncle), his privacy, his safety, and almost his life. Cool cool cool.

But think of all that was lost along the way for the entire world. Every character that got involved in the battle on that planet lost everything from that nuke. People put in their lives to build up those characters because that was validating for them, and in an instant, it was all nixed. I'm sure in their world, many people spent real money and a whole lot of time and energy, and were all wiped out. I don't know if I missed a line saying everything was reset, but since it wasn't an item from the system and instead from a third party (the IOI company) I don't know if they'd fix it.
Nicely stated, all around. However, this part above sits a little weird with me because the reason life sucks is because people neglected it for nostalgia, entertainment, and escapism. Destroying their loot clarifies its (non-)value, and shutting down the OASIS a few days a week further incentivizes actual interaction, so real people can regain equilibrium with themselves and each other.

The book is about nostalgia but the movie isn't, and that's a tough divergence especially how it cloaks itself.

Back