SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 140 - Wild Tales

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

I much prefer to see this as a Documentary about Argentinians.

wild_tales_LVUC.jpg

Our Director
Damian Szifron

MV5BNzQ2NTYyODAzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM1NDUxNDE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Damián Szifron was born on July 9, 1975 in Ramos Mejía, Buenos Aires, Argentina. He is a writer and director, known for Wild Tales (2014), Los simuladores (2002) and Tiempo de valientes (2005).

Our Stars
All of these people (and some more)

Captura-de-pantalla-2015-01-08-a-las-13.45.55.png

Premise: Six short stories that explore the extremities of human behavior involving people in distress.

Budget: $4 million

Box Office: $27 million

Trivia
(Courtesy of the IMDB)

* The site of the bridge, in which the tale "The Strongest" was filmed, is actually the 60th kilometer on the route between Cafayate and Salta, as the character in the tale mentions. This place has become a kind of a tourist attraction nowadays, as can be seen in Google Street View at coordinates (-25.730669,-65.6967926).

* Shot in 8 weeks.

* Official submission of Argentina for the 'Best Foreign Language Film' category of the 87th Academy Awards in 2015.

* Each tale is increasingly longer than the previous one.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @IGotAHugePeckah @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Nailgun @Rimbaud82 @BeardotheWeirdo @Zer

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-9_20-9-51.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-9_20-9-51.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
giphy.gif

@AndersonsFoot! Good fucking job this week! I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. I'm at work so will post more later, but I laughed my ass off yesterday. Had I participated in the top 5 anthology list, this movie would now top it! Loved, loved, loved it! Original, hilarious, over the top and entertaining!

This movie ruled. Totally hilarious. Don't even think there was a weak link here. My ranking would probably go like this.
  • The road rage story
  • Airplane crash
  • The wedding
  • Car bomber
  • Hit & run
  • Food poisoning
Now this is what I'd call a successful dark comedy. So much to laugh at as things go wrong for about everyone. Then it all ends on a happy note. Great stuff.

giphy.gif

@AndersonsFoot! Good fucking job this week! I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. I'm at work so will post more later, but I laughed my ass off yesterday. Had I participated in the top 5 anthology list, this movie would now top it! Loved, loved, loved it! Original, hilarious, over the top and entertaining!
I didn’t participate in the top 5 exactly for this reason. Wild Tales is an all time great anthology gem

The Prologue: Neat appetizer! I think it serves well as an intro into the style and black brand of humor that dominates this anthology. Pretty funny and concise, especially with the plane landing on old people.

First story: Not much to say. Classical ethics of murder saga where the companion is much more into the murdering than the main perpetrator herself. It's alright.

Second story: This was a neat "crime of passion". One of those stories about tempers flaring and escalating into full-on warfare. The parts where the rich guy was stuck in his car while being assaulted really captured the intensity and claustrophobia of the situation. Rednecks gonna redneck, even in Argentina?

Third story: Easily the worst. Very predictable and route in how it escalates. You know it's going to end with a frustration-bomb from the get-go. Also, the wife's spite feels very unearned. She wants to deprive him of parentage just because he's vexed with society and late to get home and doesn't have a job this month despite being a freaking engineer? She didn't seem that mad at him at all, more unfulfilled if anything. Yeah, not buying that one. This one really lacked a sense of rawness and intensity that, say, the second story had. Which was also kind of predictable but at least brought some attitude.

Forth Story: Aaaa... here's where the delightful black comedy truly sets in! Nothing opens up an opportunity to make money like murder! The whole thing transitions into being full-on business negotiation, complete with pull-out tactics and everything. Kinda fitting that it ends with an aggrieved one just punting the situation to death. Also, when the boy did not respond to his father's outcries, I fully expected him to have hanged himself or something

Fifth: A very funny one. You open with this very hyperbolic scene of newlywed bliss (is this a marriage or a sweet-sixteen?) Then BOOM! Lightning-bolt of infidelity out of the sky! I love how it contrasts with the overt, giddy sense of happiness beforehand. The bride's spiral into maniacal revenge is very entertaining -- how she tortures him and indulges in every vice. The carousel wheel into a mirror was really fun and suitably chaotic. The husband ended up being rendered so pathetic that mommy had to step in for him.

Honestly, I found the turnaround to be bad. I get that we're supposed to intune that the trauma has shocked these people into drastically reassessing their priorities. However, the hyperbolic happiness of the early scenes felt like just that, hyperbolic. I didn't get the impression that these people truly loved each other in any intimate and non-superficial way, that they were soulmates or something. A personality-warping trauma feels more likely to pull them apart than pull them together.

Her torturing him into suicide, now that would have been comedy.

Ranking:
1. Wedding
2. Hit and Run
3. Road Rage
4. Aeroplane Crash
5. Food Poisoning
6. Car Bomber
7. Three Billboards

Last edited:
She wants to deprive him of parentage just because he's vexed with society and late to get home and doesn't have a job this month despite being a freaking engineer?

I agree that the relationship didn't make much sense. At first I thought they were separated. Everything else about the story was so much fun though. Who hasn't experienced bureaucracy and the desire to blow shit up?

I agree that the relationship didn't make much sense. At first I thought they were separated. Everything else about the story was so much fun though. Who hasn't experienced bureaucracy and the desire to blow shit up?

During the first part of the short, they showed that the male protagonist had some pretty consistent personality quirks. He complained about the cost of things frequently, and gave me the sense that he was somebody who was constantly worried about getting ripped off. He also had major issues with bureaucracy and complained several times about how inept the government was. In his original conversation with his wife, you can see that she is concerned over his ability to pick up the birthday cake and get it to the party on time. This makes me think that the wife was used to life getting in the husband's way and that she was frustrated with his inability to be reliable and make logical decisions when this happened. When he chose to go get the car, I immediately thought, why wouldn't he take a cab home with the cake and sort out the car later. He struck me as one of those people who is so concerned with being right that he looses sight of what is important, which in this case was been being present with his family during his daughter's birthday. The wife expressed frustration with him after the party and referenced the fact that this was the sort of thing that happened all the time. I don't think she asked for a divorce because of what specifically happened in the movie. I think she asked for one because the events in the movie were the final straw in a lifetime of having to deal with those types of situations.

During the first part of the short, they showed that the male protagonist had some pretty consistent personality quirks. He complained about the cost of things frequently, and gave me the sense that he was somebody who was constantly worried about getting ripped off. He also had major issues with bureaucracy and complained several times about how inept the government was. In his original conversation with his wife, you can see that she is concerned over his ability to pick up the birthday cake and get it to the party on time. This makes me think that the wife was used to life getting in the husband's way and that she was frustrated with his inability to be reliable and make logical decisions when this happened. When he chose to go get the car, I immediately thought, why wouldn't he take a cab home with the cake and sort out the car later. He struck me as one of those people who is so concerned with being right that he looses sight of what is important, which in this case was been being present with his family during his daughter's birthday. The wife expressed frustration with him after the party and referenced the fact that this was the sort of thing that happened all the time. I don't think she asked for a divorce because of what specifically happened in the movie. I think she asked for one because the events in the movie were the final straw in a lifetime of having to deal with those types of situations.

You picked up on more than I did. That certainly fleshes things out more.

That was awesome! It has been a while since I have watched a film that has entertained me this much. I now need to find his other two films to watch. I literally laughed out loud the entire movie. Some would even say that I guffawed with gusto!

Pasternak (name of the antagonist in the short) My ranking: #3
I loved this short. It was my third favourite. As soon as I saw the old couple, it made total sense that they would be the parents. What a hoot!

Las ratas (The Rats) My ranking: #6
I was excited to see

giphy.gif

PSA - do not give Yerba Mate to babies! Waaaaaaay too much caffeine. I don't think parenting was a thing this child experienced though, coz it looks like he gets hit with a large ball at the end.

I liked this short as well. I'd rank it my second to last favorite. I was glad the prick died in the end, and had quite an uncomfortable laugh when his son got sick from eating the French fry. I really enjoyed the cook in the short. She was clearly over douchebags and relished the idea of engineering at least one comeuppance. I was particularly amused by her description of how life in jail wouldn't be too bad. I loved the question: When poisons expire does that make them better or worse? :D The end scene where the waitress winds up with her face in the blood was brutal. But still funny. Oh my. She is going to need some blood tests. I wouldn't doubt that asshole had all sorts of hepatitis.

El más fuerte (The Strongest) My ranking: #1
This one was my favorite. It was so totally over the top. The constant power shift and resulting inability not to react was hilarious. Each time it escalated I hooted and hollered even more loudly. Talk about building to a climax.

I have a bit of a hard time watching films in Spanish with English subtitles (for the benefit of @Cubo de Sangre, who despite his name, needs assistance understanding.) I find myself getting distracted with, or engaged by, bad translations, and I loose track of what is happening in the movie. In this short, I noticed that the original insult hurled through the window was: negro resentido, but the translation was redneck. Negro resentido translates as resentful black person. The second protagonist was not black, but he clearly had indigenous blood. Combine that with the wrecker he was driving, and the fact that he would not let the newer shinier car (driven by a white dude) pass, and there was clearly some racial/class driven prejudice being shown on both sides. I guess redneck works..... but it didn't feel right to me. It made much more sense in Spanish. Another example of this in this short is that in Spanish the insult cabrón (bastard) was used (I can't remember who used it though. I think it was the white guy), but in English they translated it as pussy. I don't think this was the best choice. They should have gone with bastard if they wanted to truly reflect the original dialogue.

I loved everything about this short though, all the way until the end when the official wonders if it was a crime of passion because they appeared to die with their arms around each other. The most surprising scene to me was the pooping. What is even funnier is @Cubo de Sangre had been calling out predictions all movie and had been nailing them all. You didn't see the poop coming, though, did ya Cubo?!!:p (to be fair to him, he then proceeded to correctly call out the rest of the movie too.)

Bombita (little bomb) My ranking: #4
This was probably my third to last favorite. The cake box was stunning! I could see why old boy's wife eventually left him. His lack of flexibility made it seem like he might be on the spectrum. The insults he wielded towards the towing and the parking people were beautiful. I really wished I would have jotted them down. They were eloquent and beautiful and used sophisticated adjectives. In this short I found it interesting that his nickname became bombita. It means little bomb. Bomb is a feminine noun (bomba), so it isn't possible to say bombito but you are still left with a diminutive that is grammatically feminine ascribed to this social media character. It was like his nickname identified him, made him famous, but also reduced him to a childlike female character at the same time. I also noticed the use of flaco (skinny) as a nickname in this short. You gotta love how Hispanic culture with just as easily call. skinny person flaco or gordo (fat) and vice versa. Spouses often call each other Viejo and vieja as well (old man / old woman).

Pelotudo was the most frequently used insult in the film. It translates as stupid or asshole. In Spain we would have used gilipollas, in Mexico probably pendejo.

La propuesta (The Proposal) My ranking: #5
I enjoyed this one, especially when the gardener overheard the negotiations and upped his price. It pulled him out of the victim role and instead made him complicit. He had been with the family for 15 years, and it did make me sad that that was how little he meant to the family. He was described as the casero, which translates more as house manager. I don't remember what they called him in the subtitles. I noticed that he was the one to calm the son down when the son had a moment of strength and wanted to own his behavior. He was clearly an important part of the household who was deemed expendable as soon as they needed a scapegoat.

I thought it said a lot that the dad was comfortable not overextending himself to save his son. And it didn't say good things, like the dad wanted to teach the son a lesson. It was more, I'm not gonna pay that much! But I was also amused that the dad got tired of feeling totally ripped off, and decided he was done. Does that make him a good businessman? I guess so, since instead of dropping over $2.5 million + $30k, he wound up only spending $1 million. Cubo called the ending, and I anticipated it too. It felt very cavalier to just assume the casero would take the blame and everything would play out the way it was planned.

Hasta que la muerte nos separe (Until Death Do Us Part) My ranking: #2
This was my second favourite. I loved the energy of the intro wedding scene. It was like a compilation of the best part of every wedding I have ever been to. It felt authentic up until the point where at one point they show a stereotypical hotel hallway with the ugly carpeting. A+ for authenticity. While a little over the top, it did a lovely job of setting up a contrast to the drama that followed.

The bride lost her shit and it was glorious. She stressed old boy out until he puked! How many people can say that about their wedding? It was dark but funny, even when the lover got sling shot into the mirror. The groom's character was not as fully developed, so it was a little harder to see him in a sympathetic light. I enjoyed the scene where he was crying with his mom and the bride insisted that the photographers record it. I did buy into the reconciliation. He did very bad things, but she certainly made up for it and got some nice revenge. At this point the wedding itself was a total shit show. I loved it when the groom finally saw her crying and realized that they had both suffered and decided to try and move forward. For the party to have been so over the top jovial at the start, and for the bride to have felt that kind of anger, there must have been passion in the relationship. I laughed over everyone freaking out when he grabbed the knife. It was obvious he just wanted some of the cake he was going to have to pay for anyway. It felt honest to me when he held his hands out to her to help her up. It felt realistic when she swatted his hands away when he invited her to dance. It was her final show of annoyance before taking them and dancing with him. The kissing that led to them banging on the table by the cake was awesome. If your wedding turns into that kind of shit show, all bets are off, do what you want!

I did like that the movie ended on a happy note!

The original title of this film is Relatos Salvajes. Wild translates as salvaje when you are talking about animals or nature. It usually translates as savage or brutal when referring to human behavior. I don't think the title is as effective in English since this movie is riddled with savagery.

You picked up on more than I did. That certainly fleshes things out more.

There was a lot of personality presented through the dialogue. When he picked up the cake, he made a super snarky comment about the cost. They showed the shop attendant just looking confused and seeming to feel awkward without knowing how to respond to him. He did this a lot. There was not a person he interacted with that he was not snarky to in some way, usually related to money. He did not come across as remotely likable to me.

You guys have a strange view of "comedy." I liked this film but not sure what I can say about it right now.

1. Guy makes a "fuck you" list then acts on it, killing everyone that he felt ever did him wrong, taking out some little old retired couple as well. Why? Because fuck you.
2. Old lady stabs mafioso, violently, with a butcher knife, leaving a huge pool of blood and going back to prison. Unfortunately this happens a lot in real life. An institutionalized person will fuck you up faster than you can say, "Arrgghhh!!!"
3. Road Rage taken to the N'th degree. Homey shit on his windshield, it was more than he could handle, so he attempted to run the guy down and ended up locked in mortal combat. The phrase, "why don't you two get a room" never so cogent as when the two of them were found burnt to a crisp in an embrace, branded as homosexual lovers.
4. Demolition man blows up the impound yard, becomes a hero. Why? Because fuck you impound yard.
5. Drunk driving accident with a twist. As the father, attorney, and D.A. argue over the price of fixing the case, the real price was the gardener getting murdered as he left the house. Some bastard is going to argue I don't know he was killed. Yes, he was killed you troglodyte. That was the twist, the price to be paid, and it wasn't money. The extra hitting sounds after the screen faded out was to let you know, it was a death.
6. I felt the Wedding story was the highlight of the film. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Why? Because fuck you you cheating bastard, fuck you.

I give this film Fuck You/10.

I have a bit of a hard time watching films in Spanish with English subtitles (for the benefit of @Cubo de Sangre, who despite his name, needs assistance understanding.)

Mike+Woodson+Face.gif

Since we're sharing...

As soon as I saw the old couple, it made total sense that they would be the parents.

You mean it made sense after I suggested it? :D

She is going to need some blood tests. I wouldn't doubt that asshole had all sorts of hepatitis.

Here you steal my joke and don't even tell it well. :eek:

What is even funnier is @Cubo de Sangre had been calling out predictions all movie and had been nailing them all. You didn't see the poop coming, though, did ya Cubo?!!:p (to be fair to him, he then proceeded to correctly call out the rest of the movie too.)

It never crossed my mind up until it happening. Gave me that same squirmy laughter feeling that so much of Bad Taste did. Fuckin' nasty! lol

I liked what you pointed out while watching it, how they kept trading the upper hand as things escalated. Definitely an exercise in bad karma (which seemed to be the central theme). Didn't think about it at the time, but it's probably no coincidence they burn up after rich guy empties the fire extinguisher into redneck's face. The film could have used a number of props to beat redneck over the head with, but they chose that one.

1. Guy makes a "fuck you" list then acts on it, killing everyone that he felt ever did him wrong, taking out some little old retired couple as well. Why? Because fuck you.

Towards the end, the shrink (who was on the plane) said that the folks on the plane were innocent and the blame belonged to the parents, who I am sure were the old couple. Definitely dark humor!

Towards the end, the shrink (who was on the plane) said that the folks on the plane were innocent and the blame belonged to the parents, who I am sure were the old couple. Definitely dark humor!

It never occurred to me that was his parents. He was an excellent shot with that plane though. The psychiatrist is saying its his parents fault while he takes aim on his parents?

giphy.gif

2. Old lady stabs mafioso, violently, with a butcher knife, leaving a huge pool of blood and going back to prison. Unfortunately this happens a lot in real life. An institutionalized person will fuck you up faster than you can say, "Arrgghhh!!!"

Here I think it is important to remember that this short took place in Argentina, and they had a very violent political history not that long ago. Over 30,000 people disappeared after getting tortured and then murdered at the hands of the government. The cook in the short was old enough to have lived through that. It is even possible (and in my opinion feasible) that her earlier incarceration was political in nature and unjust. I would bet that she had witnessed many men (like the client) who were total douchebags. After hearing the description by the waitress of all the horrible things this man did to her family, it made sense to me that she wanted to take matters in her own hands and experience some truly personal revenge. I would theorize that he came to represent all of the evil she had dealt with in her life, and that she found joy in finally being able to get payback. Her actions were premeditated. At no point did she show any kind of hesitation. I don't think she was the way she was because she had been previously jailed, however.

4. Demolition man blows up the impound yard, becomes a hero. Why? Because fuck you impound yard.

The becoming a social hero felt more like a commentary on social media. The fact that the fame brought his family back into the fold seems to support that theory. Admittedly, he faced a lot of unreasonable bureaucracy both at the towing company and at the DMV. Both times he explained it was not clearly marked that it was no parking, nobody cared and he was offered no possible way to follow up on the situation. At one point he was told to memorize where it is legal to park in the city, which is totally unreasonable. I could see how people would embrace his bombing as an act of protest.

You guys have a strange view of "comedy." I liked this film but not sure what I can say about it right now.

3. Road Rage taken to the N'th degree. Homey shit on his windshield, it was more than he could handle, so he attempted to run the guy down and ended up locked in mortal combat. The phrase, "why don't you two get a room" never so cogent as when the two of them were found burnt to a crisp in an embrace, branded as homosexual lovers.
5. Drunk driving accident with a twist. As the father, attorney, and D.A. argue over the price of fixing the case, the real price was the gardener getting murdered as he left the house. Some bastard is going to argue I don't know he was killed. Yes, he was killed you troglodyte. That was the twist, the price to be paid, and it wasn't money. The extra hitting sounds after the screen faded out was to let you know, it was a death.
6. I felt the Wedding story was the highlight of the film. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Why? Because fuck you you cheating bastard, fuck you.

I give this film Fuck You/10.

Were there any parts that amused you? Not judging in any way, just curious. This flic totally appealed to my sense of humor, which admittedly can be very dark (and honestly a lot of times juvenile. I love to laugh so I usually just go with anything that tickles my funny bone). There are some things (like rape or child abuse or racially motivated violence) that will never be funny to me under any circumstances, but I can handle violence if isn't too graphic. Part of what made it easy for me to laugh in this film is that since they were shorts, you had limited exposure to the characters so you didn't become emotionally invested in anyone's well being. And so much of it was totally over the top, that it was triggering that uncomfortable "did that just fucking happen" kind of belly laughter.

Follow up questions - what is your favourite comedy?

Back