SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: WEEK 118: Over the Edge and Convoy

My only complaints are the diegetic, dramatic underscore was a bit too "after school special", and they seemed to abandon the rock music in the latter half.

That's quite funny considering how this movie makes fun of After School Specials. :D

I enjoyed me some fine blotter acid during my formative teenage years. I'm guessing that explains some things about me :cool:

I shall quote this whenever you state a movie opinion that I do not approve of.

too many meeting w adults w their heads up their ass.

Everyone has gone to school. Therefore, everyone considers themselves an expert at school/teaching/and everything else. Lovely attitudes. :D

back home kids were a part of who we were, our future, members of society who were appreciated and loved.

Eh, we're from different parts of the continent, chica.

I have said that just about every week I have been a part of the club,

Boys in Blue play by Different Rules:cool:

It's a trucksploitation film.

Of all the weird -sploitation genres, trucksploitation has to end up somewhere... in the middle.

I mean, what's so special about driving trucks?

They said this is based on actual events, but what events were they? The kids getting a little crazy because they're bored, but they're still just kids? I found a Vice article about this if someone hasn't posted it yet: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wdz5bb/over-the-edge-134-v16n9

None has posted that article, but I summarized some info I found about the film in a book in this thread.

Using my presidential-levels of influence as the SMC-leader, I dug up some background info on Over the Edge.

* New Grenada was based on Foster City, California, which had the highest levels of youth vandalism in the country. Just like in the film, a bunch of kids rioted after a policeman shot a 14-years old to death. They didn't lock-up the parents in the school though.

* During the Foster City riot, the kids destroyed 150 cars, burned down a condominium complex, and knocked out the town's power supply. The incident where policeman Doberman was shoot with a shotgun and killed while driving his car near the ending was based on a similar real-life event, where an officer was assaulted and grievously injured at a gas station (but didn't die).

* Kaplan and the two writers of the film visited Foster City and interviewed the participants of the riots for 2 weeks before starting production on the film. Afterward, they claimed that they both loved the kids and were fucking terrified of them.

* Purportedly, this movie was made as a pessimistic-take on Rebel Without A Cause. This I can totally see, as both films deal with youth delinquency due to adult disinterest and neglect. Only in Over the Edge the tone is even more nightmarish and seemingly insurmountable. Basically saying that the situation for youths in America has become even worse since the 50's.

* The filmed the movie in Greeley, Colorado... and the only reason they were allowed to film there was because the school system desperately needed money.

* The film was originally promoted as a horror movie (wtf?). After the fact, the distributor claimed that he initially was going to market it as a gang-film but couldn't due to the controversy that The Warriors had caused.

We're supposed to root for these kids, making mistakes and doing stupid things

Considering how dejected the protagonist is at the ending, and the forlorn ending-note, I don't think it's exactly "rooting for them". I think it's more about observing a situation that has spiraled out of control, bad parenting leading to a worse and worse situation until the keg explodes. If they made it as a film merely about rooting for the kids, they wouldn't have elements like the cop shooting the kid in self-defense, since that obviously muddies the waters morally about whats happening.

I shall quote this whenever you state a movie opinion that I do not approve of.
giphy.gif

Finally got around to this double-header. In terms of writing up reviews, I'm not going to get into anything too extensive for two reasons: First, I didn't like either movie enough to justify digging into them (which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy them), and second, I don't think they're deep enough to be dug into anyway (which isn't to say that they don't have interesting things going on).

That said, rather than write shit out here, I'm going to be reactive for this discussion and work my way through most of your guys' posts instead. I will, however, start off by going through some of my own general/random thoughts.

Over the Edge: For general thoughts, the look, the feel, and the time of this movie instantly made me think of Billy Jack. Are you a fan of that film, Cubo? Nowhere near as good, or as cool, or as coherent, but definitely in the same 70s "movie family" as Billy Jack, with the isolated kids disconnected from their parents and from the town taking refuge at an off-site spot but failing to escape trouble as it nips at their heels at every turn. Having been born in 1989, the time and the events of the film were way before my time. This is more a film for/about my parents than me. But it was still interesting to see the way they worked through the familiar coming of age themes in that particular context with respect to the juvenile delinquency problem. In fact, with respect to juvenile delinquency, this film displayed quite a kinship with the 50s juvenile delinquency films like The Wild One, Blackboard Jungle, and Rebel Without a Cause.

For random thoughts: Holy shit, the dad is Andy Romano (aka Admiral Bates in Under Siege and the Undersecretary of Defense in Eraser).

Extra holy shit, Doberman is the soldier who loses his shit in Mean Streets.

On the whole, it was exactly what I was expecting. I wasn't blown away, as it was no masterpiece, nor was I disappointed, as I wasn't expecting one. To me, it was a cinematic time capsule; it was interesting to the extent that it provided a glimpse into that era.

Convoy: For general thoughts, this was much better than I remembered it being. When I first watched it, I was watching Straw Dogs and The Getaway like a fiend and I think I was just bummed that it was nothing like either of those two and wasn't trying to be. But rewatching it, it's actually a pretty damn good movie. Unlike some of you, I wasn't at all into it for the first third and was thinking that maybe my memory wasn't so fuzzy about this movie being a turd, but then, once the convoy got going and once the social commentary stuff kicked in, I realized that it's not a bad little movie. Not top shelf Peckinpah, for sure, and it had its share of problems (Kris Kristofferson, for one thing; Ali MacGraw's hair, for another), but if you didn't enjoy this movie, then you missed out.

For random thoughts: We got to talking in the Bruce Lee poll thread about fights where they totally destroy the place. Well, that trucker versus cops fight sure as shit qualifies. And seriously, who's the slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker who had the idea to turn the beautiful Ali MacGraw into Cory Matthews?

giphy.gif

Over the Edge is one of those movies about the snowball effect, and in this film, the snowball really has rolled so far and grown so large that there is no stopping it even when the film begins. That's overwhelmingly what I like most about this movie. It's not like the uprising is orchestrated or anything. It's just a situation spiraling out of control, bad decisions piling up one after the other until there is no turning back. For example: The sheriff is an inept asshole -- but he isn't some evil villain who wants to kill anyone, only doing so when an unloaded gun is pointed at him. And it's not like Carl wanted to see the Sheriff dead, it was just some other kids acting on their own.

Nothing that I felt about this movie was felt overwhelmingly, but that aside, I'm on board with this.

So a bunch of inept parents with no idea how to raise kids congregate in one newbuilt city. They're economically secure but really have no idea about how to deal with young teens.

While watching Over the Edge, my thoughts drifted more than once to The Village. At first, that might seem like a preposterous juxtaposition, but honestly, those two films have a lot of similarities in terms of parents dealing with kids and trying to create a utopia without any idea WTF they're doing. Except that, in The Village, you could make the argument that it "works out," whereas Over the Edge ends in catastrophic failure (how else are 70s movies supposed to end :D).

That really arrives at this movies biggest flaw: the kids. It's just so fucking laughable that these whitebread youngsters are supposed to come off as uber-hardened criminals.

I never got an "uber-hardened criminals" vibe. I just got a "bored little knucklehead shits" vibe.

But really, I think that was supposed to be the entire selling-point of the film, seeing young, mostly clean-cut looking suburbanites acting "bad". I mentioned this back when we watched Tuff Turf (week 85), why is it in American movies that when they want to show hardened, street-smart "badass-kids" they still show them living prim and proper in sumptuous homes? The contrast just makes everything so tacky and garish.

I'd say that the contrast is the point. That is, the point that I got was that there's no reason for these kids to be "bad," however you want to define that concept, and that the only reason that they were turning bad was because of that ridiculous pressure-cooker environment. You're making it seem like the point with the depiction of the kids in Over the Edge was meant to be on par with the depiction of the kids in Dangerous Minds, but I don't think that's accurate.

Honestly, this movie came off as a big propaganda scare piece to me. “Hey, parents. Do you want to keep your kids away from criminal mischief? Then build them a bowling alley. There’s no way they’ll migrate their deviancy there. We’re sure of it. Or else your children will become devils.”

I felt that a lot, too. Very much of a piece with the 50s juvenile delinquency cycle, only with the 70s brand of didacticism.

I got the message of the movie that if you don’t listen to and be involved in your children’s lives, then they’ll become drug-addicted criminals that wreck the town, but this message wasn’t handled with much grace.

The answer to this question doesn't invalidate this entirely valid criticism, but, out of curiosity: Did you expect there to be an abundance of grace in a movie like this?

For a film taking a stand about mistreatment from authority, it really offers no solutions.
Why does it need to? Maybe there aren't any. Sometimes people just observe shit.

This issue places the film squarely in the nihilistic 70s tradition. There's no solution at the end of Taxi Driver. ...And Justice for All just fucking stops, you can't really say that the movie even has an ending. There was a 70s brand of didacticism, as I mentioned above, but more often than not, in 70s movies, nihilism is at the thematic wheel.

Btw, I know I poked fun at this film for the way cars exploded, but the original Walking Tall might hold the title for most ridiculous car explosion meant to be in a serious manner.

It just blows up in mid-air. I die every time I see it.<45>

Best spoof of that trope:

Maybe the end ain't so fun when reality creeps back in after shit gets out of control, someone dies, and kids are sent to spend a little time with the state. But to me what wins out is his friends on the bridge letting him know he's not alone. That's a happy ending in my book and a positive message to boot. This movie is about the importance of friendship in a way. When you're a kid this nothing more important than your buddies.

Hmm. I didn't get a "happy ending" vibe. I wouldn't bridle at the word "triumphant" being applied, but "happy" is a stretch. What you're describing is better suited to Stand by Me or The Sandlot. Over the Edge was more in the Billy Jack vein with a show of solidarity despite the shittiness of the situation. It pulls back from full-on nihilism, it doesn't hang its head, it's not morose or defeatist, but at the same time, I didn't leave it with an urge to merrily skip down a rainbow road.

And before you ask: Yes, I often feel the urge to merrily skip down a rainbow road.

I believe it is true that in their case Oooo Child things are gonna get easier someday when the world is much brighter..... is QFMFT

tumblr_oi8l5dtkoZ1twhnq8o4_r1_400.gif

I think I had some expectations for Burt Young, but this was sort of the beginning of a string of movies not in the Rocky series where he suddenly stopped delivering memorable and interesting supporting characters.

I'm not going to pretend that Burt Young is some unsung genius, but I want to make sure that you're not including in this string his stellar supporting work in Once Upon a Time in America and The Pope of Greenwich Village. In the former, though the movie is four hours of gold, he's memorable for the "Cock Insurance" story:

What did you take from Lyle laughing?
His exasperation that Duck was still alive. It’s one of those moments when you’re so angry at something, but you can’t help but laugh at the situation. It was there for comedic effect though.
I thought the laugh was him letting go of his anger.

FWIW, I'm 100% with Cubo on this. After all the shit, he's just so exasperated, he just can't fucking believe it, he doesn't even need to "let his anger go": It just goes. It's gone. There's nothing left to do but laugh. It's like John Huston busting up at the end of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. There's nothing left to say, there's nothing left to do. You've just got to laugh.

I was also annoyed that Dick didn’t let Ali out when she wanted off the truck

First, I like the Freudian slip there from "Duck" to "Dick." Second, it's not that he didn't let her out, it's that she didn't want to get out bad enough to be willing to jump out.

*Insert Seinfeld clip of George's "tuck and roll" idea in "The Limo"*

I think with Convoy Peckinpah wanted to make another positive movie like Ballad of Cable Hogue (which was his personal favourite), but was too coked up to get it done properly. Really sad, because BoCH is one of my absolute favourites too. I love it how it plays with one’s pessimistic expectations at times, but turns things on their head in positive note. The balladlike storyline reminds of Convoy’s country song momentum.

Even though I think Wild Bunch is a masterpiece, it’s also a good example of how relatively easy it is to do a compelling movie that plays with negativity and Convoy on the other hand is an example of how hard it is to try to create something with positive note without being lame or obvious. Convoy avoids those pitfalls, but also towards the end fails to get the good vibes delivered.

What you're talking about here is why Straw Dogs and The Getaway are my favorites of his. Those two movies aren't just dark, they aren't just violent, they're fucking mean, they're nasty, vicious movies with evil and despicable people in them...and yet they both end happily and beautifully. For me, that's Peckinpah shining at his brightest, when he has both poles of darkness and light working at max capacity in the same film and succeeding in the end at illuminating the darkness.

From the trivia out there it sounds like the bulk of Sam's social commentary got cut when someone else was brought in to chop his final version down from 220 minutes to 110. :eek:

Jesus Christ, he got the Orson Welles treatment. That's a whole lot of fucking movie on the cutting room floor.

The early scene between Kris Kristofferson and the waitress/girlfriend was super weird. The girl looked like she was crying the entire time, and she was so uncomfortable.

This, this, and more this. Definitely a weird scene that had me going "WTF?" all the way through.

I've always taken issue with films about a group of kids doing something they shouldn't be doing. I'm not talking like loitering and hanging around the rec center, I'm talking about pulling guns on cops and trashing places. From a legal standpoint, who cares whether the gun was loaded, the cop couldn't have reasonably known. A kid on drugs stole a car and ran from the cops, crashed his car, ran away and after the cop asked him to stop, the kid pulled a handgun on him. It's tragic and unfortunate, but what was Matt Dillon thinking? And no, I am drawing zero historical or political parallels with this, either.

[...]

Final thoughts - the kids brought what happened to them on themselves. They're old enough to understand the risks and dangers of what they're doing. Some of them were young high schoolers, but they got violent fast. Shotguns, explosives, and mayhem. Are we supposed to root for them? I sure didn't. And then one shot the cop while driving in the head. That's a riot.

I'm with you on all of this. Wrong is wrong. Nobody came out looking too good, but nobody gets to be on any moral high horses, either.

I'm not going to pretend that Burt Young is some unsung genius, but I want to make sure that you're not including in this string his stellar supporting work in Once Upon a Time in America and The Pope of Greenwich Village. In the former, though the movie is four hours of gold, he's memorable for the "Cock Insurance" story:

When Burt Young is on, he is great. When he is off, he is forgettable and occasionally confusing. He has a bit of a habit of falling into laughter when he doesn't know what else to do in a scene.

His lesser work around the time I'm talking about is stuff like Convoy and Lookin' to Get Out.

He still did some good stuff in this time period. You named some. He was good in Back to School.

But in the 70s, he delivered big on a minute-for-minute basis. Even leaving out Rocky (1 to 6), he left impressions in The Gambler and Chinatown and Across 110th Street and The Killer Elite with much smaller roles.

In the late 70s and into the 80s, his roles got bigger (deservedly so) but he stopped bringing the pound-for-pound oomph in his scenes and characters some of the time.

Last edited:
For general thoughts, the look, the feel, and the time of this movie instantly made me think of Billy Jack. Are you a fan of that film, Cubo?

I might have seen that when I was a kid but don't remember. Or it was just something I heard of way back when.

for sure, and it had its share of problems (Kris Kristofferson, for one thing; Ali MacGraw's hair, for another),

I liked Kris. Suave dude. Great demeanor. Smooth voice. My problem with Ali wasn't the hair (which I liked), it was the lack of skinshots past the opening scene. :(

Hmm. I didn't get a "happy ending" vibe. I wouldn't bridle at the word "triumphant" being applied, but "happy" is a stretch.

Happy is a bit vague. How about promising? Knowing "Things are gonna get easier." is fairly uplifting on the heels of what transpired. So in that sense there's triumph over the trials and tribulations. Ok, I'm back to "happy". :D

FWIW, I'm 100% with Cubo on this. After all the shit, he's just so exasperated, he just can't fucking believe it, he doesn't even need to "let his anger go": It just goes. It's gone. There's nothing left to do but laugh. It's like John Huston busting up at the end of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. There's nothing left to say, there's nothing left to do. You've just got to laugh.

{<redford}

I thought it was a great touch. The Duck fucked Lyle's wife and broke him.

When Burt Young is on, he is great. When he is off, he is forgettable and occasionally confusing. He has a bit of a habit of falling into laughter when he doesn't know what else to do in a scene.

His lesser work around the time I'm talking about is stuff like Convoy and Lookin' to Get Out.

He still did some good stuff in this time period. You named some. He was good in Back to School.

But in the 70s, he delivered big on a minute-for-minute basis. Even leaving out Rocky (1 to 6), he left impressions in The Gambler and Chinatown and Across 110th Street and The Killer Elite with much smaller roles.

In the late 70s and into the 80s, his roles got bigger (deservedly so) but he stopped bringing the pound-for-pound oomph in his scenes and characters some of the time.

He was great in Last Exit To Brooklyn by bringing much-needed comic relief.

Nothing that I felt about this movie was felt overwhelmingly, but that aside, I'm on board with this.

Ah, the peculiarities of your fiendish Anglo-Saxon tongue has confounded my Scandinavian brain once again. I didn't mean to say overwhelmingly as in "A Strong Emotional Response", more like "That's the majority of what I liked about this movie".

the feel, and the time of this movie instantly made me think of Billy Jack

You were just fantasising about Steven Seagal again and naturally drifted into his hat-wearing predecessor.

And seriously, who's the slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker who had the idea to turn the beautiful Ali MacGraw into Cory Matthews?

Peckinpah gets accused of misogyny from time-to-time, but this is clearly his most vile and vitriolic desecration of the feminine sex so far!

It was much, much better underbuilt in Sierra Madre though. Here it feels rather underserved.

I never got an "uber-hardened criminals" vibe. I just got a "bored little knucklehead shits" vibe.

I was thinking mostly about that scene where everyone thinks Carl gets shot and then 2 seconds later he capitalized on it so to make a joke. Even kids in war-zones shit their pants when they think that they've been mortally wounded.

In fact, with respect to juvenile delinquency, this film displayed quite a kinship with the 50s juvenile delinquency films like The Wild One, Blackboard Jungle, and Rebel Without a Cause.

Yeah, the director specifically mentioned this being a pessimistic take on Rebel Without a Cause.

I'd say that the contrast is the point. That is, the point that I got was that there's no reason for these kids to be "bad," however you want to define that concept, and that the only reason that they were turning bad was because of that ridiculous pressure-cooker environment. You're making it seem like the point with the depiction of the kids in Over the Edge was meant to be on par with the depiction of the kids in Dangerous Minds, but I don't think that's accurate.

I think my disapproving reaction came from the fact that it feels like there is an exploitative aspect to these scenes that jars with the more serious, didactic "this is a pressure-cooker enviorment". Basically, "See the lurid world of 13-year old junkies!!!... but also pay attention to this societal message we wish to convey".

I'm with you on all of this. I just had to stick up for two of my favorite movies.

And you know, speaking of him, I remember being surprised a while back that he was not only still alive (I hate to say that but it's true) but still acting when he showed up in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. He was good in it, too, which made it even cooler.

I might have seen that when I was a kid but don't remember. Or it was just something I heard of way back when.

Oh, man, based on Over the Edge, you've got to check out Billy Jack. You'd probably even like The Trial of Billy Jack, though I'd recommend not trying to tackle that three-hour behemoth until you've tried Billy Jack first ;)

I liked Kris. Suave dude. Great demeanor. Smooth voice.

That was too much of a Paul Newman type of role, just looking the part with no actual acting substance (in case you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of Paul Newman). He didn't have Steve McQueen's vulnerability, or Charles Bronson's steely reserve, or Clint Eastwood's simmering anger. He was just...blah.

Happy is a bit vague. How about promising?

I'm good with promising.

Knowing "Things are gonna get easier." is fairly uplifting on the heels of what transpired. So in that sense there's triumph over the trials and tribulations. Ok, I'm back to "happy".

giphy.gif

I didn't mean to say overwhelmingly as in "A Strong Emotional Response", more like "That's the majority of what I liked about this movie".

From the context, I thought you might've meant something like this, but I gambled the other way.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

You were just fantasising about Steven Seagal again and naturally drifted into his hat-wearing predecessor.

Actually, that time I was strictly fantasizing about Billy Jack :D

It was much, much better underbuilt in Sierra Madre though. Here it feels rather underserved.

Oh, no question that The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is in every last respect VASTLY superior. Same in kind ≠ Same in quality.

I think my disapproving reaction came from the fact that it feels like there is an exploitative aspect to these scenes that jars with the more serious, didactic "this is a pressure-cooker enviorment". Basically, "See the lurid world of 13-year old junkies!!!... but also pay attention to this societal message we wish to convey".

I get what you're saying. It's tough to walk the line of "I want to criticize this...but I also want you to get enjoyment out of it before/while I criticize it," whether it's enjoying the spectacle of The Running Man while the spectacle is supposed be what the film is critiquing or enjoying the debauchery of The Wolf of Wall Street when the point is to reject that debauchery. It's a delicate balancing act, and if you don't have a delicate touch, the act doesn't come off (as) well (as it could/should).

I'm with you on all of this. I just had to stick up for two of my favorite movies.

And you know, speaking of him, I remember being surprised a while back that he was not only still alive (I hate to say that but it's true) but still acting when he showed up in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. He was good in it, too, which made it even cooler..

He was also good in an episode of regular Law & Order about ten years before that. Very memorable creep.

For random thoughts: We got to talking in the Bruce Lee poll thread about fights where they totally destroy the place. Well, that trucker versus cops fight sure as shit qualifies.

Funny enough, this scene was the highlight of the film for me.

The answer to this question doesn't invalidate this entirely valid criticism, but, out of curiosity: Did you expect there to be an abundance of grace in a movie like this?

No, but I was expecting it on a hammy level, and not on a getting high on its own farts, phony sincerity level. Watching this movie try to convey its point is like listening to somebody drone on about something they don’t really know what they’re talking about. If the film played itself more tongue-in-cheek, I probably would have liked it a lot more.

This issue places the film squarely in the nihilistic 70s tradition. There's no solution at the end of Taxi Driver. ...And Justice for All just fucking stops, you can't really say that the movie even has an ending. There was a 70s brand of didacticism, as I mentioned above, but more often than not, in 70s movies, nihilism is at the thematic wheel.

For sure. Although, I don’t think Taxi Driver was trying to browbeat us with a point like Over the Edge was. Taxi Driver was more a showcase of the life of a depressed, lonely misanthrope who is pent up with rage towards society, and he’s on the cusp of unloading himself in a misguided manner, as we see him contemplate killing the politician. He then decides to purge himself by shooting up the brothel and saving a child prostitute, which gets him deemed as a hero in the news. But what’s funny is that the general public doesn’t know that he’s really a dangerous nutcase who needs help, and lauding him as a hero will only fuel his desire to act out his vigilante rage. Hence, the final shot of him looking at something in his mirror. This path may very well lead him to actions that won’t deem him a hero, but to the very same criminal element that he despises. This movie doesn’t beg a concrete solution. It’s more a showcase of an entralling, amoral character type that Scorsese is known for.

I should also note that I haven’t seen Taxi Driver in probably 10 years, so I very well might be misremembering an important detail.

Best spoof of that trope:

The horse blowing up always gets me.

I tried reciprocating with a Simpsons clip of Chief Wiggum rolling in a trash can which hits a tree and causes him to blow up, but I can’t find it. (@europe1 help me out, dude.)

Oh, siding with Cubo, are you? Well, this is my completely emotionally mature response to that.

kxq4i0cmtgmy.gif

No, but I do concede that this reading is probably more accurate. Although, I thought the film was hinting at a moment of redemption from Sheriff Cabbie with how he didn’t condone the way the other police force beat up Spider Mike, and he told him he’d let him know about his kid if he heard anything. Later, we come to a head with him trying to mow down Duck with an automatic weapon. I thought, “Nevermind about the redemption angle.” So now I couldn’t trust the Sheriff’s emotions, and I saw his laughing as a deranged, “I’ll get you next time, Gadget!” He basically was a cartoon character, so why not?

I tried reciprocating with a Simpsons clip of Chief Wiggum rolling in a trash can which hits a tree and causes him to blow up, but I can’t find it. (@europe1 help me out, dude.)

I can't find that gif at all (and not even sure I remember it). So in true Simpson fashion, I reply with something else trash can related.

1034325.gif

Back