SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 36 movie!

Cycle 2 / Week 10: Pick the vampire movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@shadow_priest_x had asked me which one I wanted to win and I don't really care but I think Let the Right One In would have been pretty cool. Since we won't have a discussion on that now I'll just post my initial response to that film here. If you haven't seen it then warning, spoilers ahead.

Let The Right One In was the most original take on Vampirism I've seen since maybe Dracula itself was first written. The little girl vampire in the movie, who really wasn't a little girl she was just trapped in a little body, needed a keeper to protect her. Sort of like you see in nature when one organism helps the other survive like a remora fish hitching a ride on a shark.

The guy committing the murders for her was getting older but she wasn't aging. It didn't occur to me until the very last scene of the movie that she always picks a child to be her new keeper because the only way she could be sure that her keeper wouldn't kill her during the day time would be if that person was in love with her. So she finds a troubled youth and she seduces them and they take care of her until they grow old and die and then she gets a new one.

Just IMO, the most fresh take on a Vampire movie in a very long time.
It's interesting that you say this because the author of the book, who also wrote the screenplay, heard that many people came to the conclusion that Eli was just grooming Oskar to be her new keeper all along and was horrified! He said that was absolutely not his intent and actually wrote a short story sequel about the two of them years later.

I like your take too though. I liked Thirst a lot and I'm a big Park fanboy, but I think Let the Right One is the best vampire movie period.

Never seen Thirst. Near Dark is awesome with that brilliant 80s grit and dark synth soundtrack.

Dracula is simply brilliant to the point of transcending the mere label of a genre film. Keanu and Winona notwithstanding, it was brilliantly cast and the sets were awesome. A powerful film. I remember seeing it in theaters, and that cacophonic opening score just prepared you for something epic.

Back