SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 36 movie!

Cycle 2 / Week 10: Pick the vampire movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah I think the original is on Netflix. Not 100% sure tho.

It's on there. I think the last time I tried to watch it it tried to make me watch the dubbed version.

I'm sure this is obvious, but don't fall into that trap.

We have a winner!

thirst-uk-movie-poster-2009.jpg

With a finally tally of 5-3, Thirst wins! We're doing vampires, Korean-style.

Even though I personally wanted Dracula to win because I've been meaning to watch that movie for YEARS, I really enjoyed Oldboy and am interested in seeing more of Park Chan-wook's work.

See you guys on Wednesday!

Attn: @europe1 @EL CORINTHIAN @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @DaDamn @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @In The Name Of @Coolthulu @AndersonsFoot

WTH @shadow_priest_x

I was pretty convinced going into this that Let the right one in would win and Thirst would come in last. In fact the exact opposite happened. What does this teach us? Never include an Asian flick in the SMC unless you intend on it winning.

WTH @shadow_priest_x

I was pretty convinced going into this that Let the right one in would win and Thirst would come in last. In fact the exact opposite happened. What does this teach us? Never include an Asian flick in the SMC unless you intend on it winning.

Ha ha. I also thought that Thirst would at least trail Let The Right One In and Dracula, if not come in last place.

What other Asian movies have won? I remember Hard Boiled won. But Chinese Cop Movie lost a few weeks ago.

@shadow_priest_x had asked me which one I wanted to win and I don't really care but I think Let the Right One In would have been pretty cool. Since we won't have a discussion on that now I'll just post my initial response to that film here. If you haven't seen it then warning, spoilers ahead.

Let The Right One In was the most original take on Vampirism I've seen since maybe Dracula itself was first written. The little girl vampire in the movie, who really wasn't a little girl she was just trapped in a little body, needed a keeper to protect her. Sort of like you see in nature when one organism helps the other survive like a remora fish hitching a ride on a shark.

The guy committing the murders for her was getting older but she wasn't aging. It didn't occur to me until the very last scene of the movie that she always picks a child to be her new keeper because the only way she could be sure that her keeper wouldn't kill her during the day time would be if that person was in love with her. So she finds a troubled youth and she seduces them and they take care of her until they grow old and die and then she gets a new one.

Just IMO, the most fresh take on a Vampire movie in a very long time.

@shadow_priest_x had asked me which one I wanted to win and I don't really care but I think Let the Right One In would have been pretty cool. Since we won't have a discussion on that now I'll just post my initial response to that film here. If you haven't seen it then warning, spoilers ahead.

Let The Right One In was the most original take on Vampirism I've seen since maybe Dracula itself was first written. The little girl vampire in the movie, who really wasn't a little girl she was just trapped in a little body, needed a keeper to protect her. Sort of like you see in nature when one organism helps the other survive like a remora fish hitching a ride on a shark.

The guy committing the murders for her was getting older but she wasn't aging. It didn't occur to me until the very last scene of the movie that she always picks a child to be her new keeper because the only way she could be sure that her keeper wouldn't kill her during the day time would be if that person was in love with her. So she finds a troubled youth and she seduces them and they take care of her until they grow old and die and then she gets a new one.

Just IMO, the most fresh take on a Vampire movie in a very long time.

It's a great film. I've seen it . . . maybe three times already, so I wasn't super hyped to watch it again, but it's awesome.

The interesting thing is that the film makes you sympathetic toward Eli, but when you really think about the character, she's actually pretty horrific. Woe be to any young boy who falls under her sway!

BTW, did you ever see Let Me In?

It's a great film. I've seen it . . . maybe three times already, so I wasn't super hyped to watch it again, but it's awesome.

The interesting thing is that the film makes you sympathetic toward Eli, but when you really think about the character, she's actually pretty horrific. Woe be to any young boy who falls under her sway!

BTW, did you ever see Let Me In?

No I have not seen Let Me In yet but I'm going to. Yea, I didn't put everything together until the very last scene of the movie that Eli was finding a new human to look after her and move her around and that she chooses children because she looks like a child and then when they fall in love with her then she can be sure they will be loyal. The man that was killing for her had likely been with her since he was a boy and he knew what was coming because he asked her, "please don't go see that boy tonight." I couldn't put it all together though until the last scene of the film.

No I have not seen Let Me In yet but I'm going to. Yea, I didn't put everything together until the very last scene of the movie that Eli was finding a new human to look after her and move her around and that she chooses children because she looks like a child and then when they fall in love with her then she can be sure they will be loyal. The man that was killing for her had likely been with her since he was a boy and he knew what was coming because he asked her, "please don't go see that boy tonight." I couldn't put it all together though until the last scene of the film.

Check out Let Me In. I prefer the original, but it's a very competent remake that has a lot of respect for its source material.

Check out Let Me In. I prefer the original, but it's a very competent remake that has a lot of respect for its source material.

Now you have my interest. I may watch 2 vampire flicks this week.

Now you have my interest. I may watch 2 vampire flicks this week.

If you check it out, I'd be very interested to hear your take on how it compares.

And I may watch two as well: Dracula and Thirst. Hell, if you're going to watch Let Me In maybe I'll go ahead and watch three, and then we could discuss that one as well.

@BeardotheWeirdo @shadow_priest_x

I went ahead and watched Let me in. I really like both versions. After watching the original I was able to closely compare the scenes and watch for how they were different. One thing I noticed is the remake, Let Me In, actually builds on the original. For example, Eli's guardian in the original fucks up the kill and she gets mad at him and he apologizes and she storms off. In the remake he explains to her maybe I'm tired of doing this shit, maybe I want to get caught. So that character gets fleshed out some more.

I also noticed the remake was more violent. The kill that Abbey got on the guy in the tunnel using some CGI of her flipping around the tunnel really drove home that this isn't a little girl, its a stone cold killer. In the original Eli's guardian didn't get caught until almost the end of the movie so it was a bit unexpected in the remake that he flips the car about half way through the movie. That scene was filmed well. At first I thought he was just whipping the car around to escape but then you notice the car is rotating from the inside.

The story was fleshed out again some when he went to see Abbey after her guardian died and he found a picture of her with her guardian when he was just a kid. These conclusions had to be drawn by the viewer in the original. So I already knew that but seeing it was a nice twist. Then at the end there was the scene where Abbey kills the detective, much more violent and real than the original.

At the end on the train it seemed like a good last line to have Owen eat his favorite candy Now or Later and sing the song, "Eat some now, save some for later."

I went ahead and watched Let me in. I really like both versions. After watching the original I was able to closely compare the scenes and watch for how they were different. One thing I noticed is the remake, Let Me In, actually builds on the original. For example, Eli's guardian in the original fucks up the kill and she gets mad at him and he apologizes and she storms off. In the remake he explains to her maybe I'm tired of doing this shit, maybe I want to get caught. So that character gets fleshed out some more.

I also noticed the remake was more violent. The kill that Abbey got on the guy in the tunnel using some CGI of her flipping around the tunnel really drove home that this isn't a little girl, its a stone cold killer. In the original Eli's guardian didn't get caught until almost the end of the movie so it was a bit unexpected in the remake that he flips the car about half way through the movie. That scene was filmed well. At first I thought he was just whipping the car around to escape but then you notice the car is rotating from the inside.

The story was fleshed out again some when he went to see Abbey after her guardian died and he found a picture of her with her guardian when he was just a kid. These conclusions had to be drawn by the viewer in the original. So I already knew that but seeing it was a nice twist. Then at the end there was the scene where Abbey kills the detective, much more violent and real than the original.

At the end on the train it seemed like a good last line to have Owen eat his favorite candy Now or Later and sing the song, "Eat some now, save some for later."

Nice. So you thought it was a worthwhile remake, it sounds like.

How did you feel about Chloe Grace as Eli/Abby?

Nice. So you thought it was a worthwhile remake, it sounds like.

How did you feel about Chloe Grace as Eli/Abby?

The remake was more violent than the original. It mixed in some CGI and a more Hollywood type vampire. Abby was a beastly little vampire and I think she kicks Eli's ass. The remake fleshed out the story and told us what we were already thinking after watching the original, like Abby's guardian saying he is getting tired of doing it. Then later showing a picture of Abby with him as a child so you know she picks a child guardian each time. Its one of the few times when I think the remake is as good as the original.

The remake was more violent than the original. It mixed in some CGI and a more Hollywood type vampire. Abby was a beastly little vampire and I think she kicks Eli's ass. The remake fleshed out the story and told us what we were already thinking after watching the original, like Abby's guardian saying he is getting tired of doing it. Then later showing a picture of Abby with him as a child so you know she picks a child guardian each time. Its one of the few times when I think the remake is as good as the original.

Indeed. So I assume then, beyond the character, you also liked Chloe Grace's performance?

BTW did you see the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the remake?

Indeed. So I assume then, beyond the character, you also liked Chloe Grace's performance?

BTW did you see the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the remake?

I've seen the original but not the remake.

I've seen the original but not the remake.

I think you'd find that, much like with Let Me In, the remake (or really, it's a re-adaptation of the original novel if we want to be accurate) is quite good and stands on its own. In both cases I prefer the original, but the remakes are more than capable of standing on their own.

I haven't seen "let the right one in" yet so I can't compare them, but I thought "Let Me In" was brilliant, so I always planned to watch the original. I'll try and get to it this week

The violence definitely helped sell the horror of their existence in "Let Me In", without it I think it would be a much lesser movie, so I;m quite curious to see how they match up after reading your comparison

Back