Movies SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 198 movie!

Let's pick the Week 198 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

3p434j.jpg

As you may have heard: the oldest man in history — Kirk Douglas at 103 — died recently. Dude was actually an actor as well, whodathunkit? There is no better way to celebrate the death of a movie star than having a SMC week dedicated to them. Luckily, this guy was actually pretty darn good at the whole movie-acting part!
I'm standing by my usual rules of only nominating movies that I haven't seen, so no Spartacus or Paths of Glory! (they would inevitably have dominated the vote anyhow). That said, I've heard pretty excellent things about all these movies.
Candidates:
Ace in the Hole (1951)

220px-Ace_in_the_Hole_%28movie_poster%29.JPG

Director: Billy Wilder

Stars: Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Robert Arthur

Premise:
A frustrated former big-city journalist now stuck working for an Albuquerque newspaper exploits a story about a man trapped in a cave to rekindle his career, but the situation quickly escalates into an out-of-control circus.

Recommended to me by an actual journalist.

The Vikings (1958)

51TFi-qpesL._SY445_.jpg

Director: Richard Fleischer

Stars: Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine

Premise:
A slave and a Viking prince fight for the love of a captive princess.

One-Eyed Kirk!

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

gunfight-at-the-ok-corral-movie-poster-md.jpg

Director: John Sturges

Stars: Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming

Premise: Lawman Wyatt Earp and outlaw Doc Holliday form an unlikely alliance which culminates in their participation in the legendary Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

@Bullitt68 favourite.

Ulysses (1954)

fahrtendesodyssWA.jpg

Director: Mario Camerini

Stars: Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling, Robert Arthur

Premise: A movie adaptation of Homer's second epic, that talks about Ulysses' efforts to return to his home after the end of ten years of war.

This Italian Production is the odd-duck out... but it has Anthony Quinn, so it's in.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @HenryFlower @Zer @Wizzlebiz

Btw, we've reached the end of the cycle! Which movies were peoples favorites?

Prime Cut
In the Mouth of Madness
The Thing
The Handmaiden
The Irishman
The True Story of Jesse James
Legend
Hamburger Hill
Owning Mahoney
Wreckmeister Harmony
Close-Up
Hana-Bi
My Bloody Valentine

Also shoutout to Kirk's worst goddamn role of all time... 2000 leagues under the Sea.

source.gif

My Rankings:

4-7 are basically even.

1. The Thing
2. The Irishman
3. Owning Mahoney
4. Prime Cut
5. Hana-Bi
6. Handmaiden
7. Close-Up
8. Hamburger Hill
9. In the Mouth of Madness
10. Legend
11. The True Story of Jesse James
12. Wreckmeister Harmony

Haven't seen Valentine yet

Last edited:
voting in this one was a no brainer for me

Prime Cut
In the Mouth of Madness
The Thing
The Handmaiden
The Irishman
Legend
Hamburger Hill
Owning Mahoney
Wreckmeister Harmony
Close-Up
Hana-Bi
My Bloody Valentine

I missed a good amount of these. I'd say hamburger hill was my favorite but none really stand out that much. I'm still gona try for my bloody valentine too if I have time.

Prime Cut
In the Mouth of Madness
The Thing
The Handmaiden
The Irishman
Legend
Hamburger Hill
Owning Mahoney
Wreckmeister Harmony
Close-Up
Hana-Bi
My Bloody Valentine

My Rankings:

4-7 are basically even.

1. The Thing
2. The Irishman
3. Owning Mahoney
4. Prime Cut
5. Hana-Bi
6. Close-Up
7. Hamburger Hill
8. In the Mouth of Madness
9. Legend
10. The True Story of Jesse James
11. Wreckmeister Harmony

Haven't seen Valentine yet
giphy.gif

Man I love me some Kirk Douglas and these are some tasty picks

Good theme!

1. Hana-Bi (based on theatrical release viewing)
2. The Thing
3. Irishman
4. True Story of Jesse James
5. Handmaiden
6. Prime Cut
7. Owning Mahowny

Surprised you hated Handmaiden so much as to not even rank it :eek:

Lamo.

That was not at all my subconscious anti-chickenluver instincts coming to life! Now you're just projecting.

I'd rank it in that middle-tier. At number 6 after Hana-Bi I suppose.

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

gunfight-at-the-ok-corral-movie-poster-md.jpg
Director: John Sturges

Stars: Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming

Premise: Lawman Wyatt Earp and outlaw Doc Holliday form an unlikely alliance which culminates in their participation in the legendary Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

@Bullitt68 favourite.

Arguably the most underrated Western out there courtesy of inarguably the most underrated director of Westerns. And since I'm here, I might as well complain and say that you could've/should've made room here for Greedy - a criminally underrated, absolutely hysterical film featuring Kirk's last performance before his stroke - by getting rid of Ulysses (unless you've seen Greedy and therefore it's disqualified, in which case I will retract my complaint).

But yeah, RIP to one of the GOAT. For 50 years, from when he debuted in the mid-40s to when he had his stroke in the mid-90s, he was consistently awesome, at times - most notably IMO in The Bad and the Beautiful - reaching heights precious few other actors have ever reached. Whether we're talking about a masterpiece like Paths of Glory or a turd like The Arrangement, if Kirk Douglas is in it, it's worth watching.

by getting rid of Ulysses (unless you've seen Greedy and therefore it's disqualified, in which case I will retract my complaint).

Yeah I was kind of shopping around IMDB for that last nomination, and that 6.3 score for Greedy just made me roll right past it. Not to mention being out of Kirk's usual stardom period. Though I've heard that Ulysses is supposed to be good as well. More of a human-centric take on a mythological story.

Yeah I was kind of shopping around IMDB for that last nomination, and that 6.3 score for Greedy just made me roll right past it. Not to mention being out of Kirk's usual stardom period.

Did you check out that cast? Not only Kirk Douglas kicking ass in his last healthy role, but Michael J. Fox, Olivia d'Abo, Ed Begley Jr., Jere Burns, Colleen Camp, Bob Balaban, and Phil motherfucking Hartman. It's a fantastic script with a great cast from top to bottom all crushing their roles. I can't recommend that one highly enough. One of my favorite hidden gems unearthed in the last decade.

Though I've heard that Ulysses is supposed to be good as well. More of a human-centric take on a mythological story.

Meh. It's just a TCM dud that's receded into the foggy mist of my memory as not good enough to actually remember. I can't see the poll so I don't know where the voting is at right now, but if you have a choice of what order to go through your Kirk Douglas to-see list, I would recommend that Greedy be higher up on the list than Ulysses for sure.

I can't for the life of me figure out why @europe1 appears stuck in the 1950's.

Back