SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 196 movie!

Let's pick the Week 196 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

3nlpbn.jpg

That's right! Zer is taking us straight to Takeshi's Castle! But instead of rolling boulders and Jonnie Macaroni, we're getting Violent Cops and Yakuza flicks!

(Warm-up before diligent voting)

Violent Cop (1989)

Director: Takeshi Kitano

Stars: Takeshi Kitano, Maiko Kawakami, Makoto Ashikawa

Premise: A violence prone police officer discovers that his colleague is trafficking drugs.

Hana-Bi (1997)

Stars: Takeshi Kitano, Kayoko Kishimoto, Ren Osugi

Premise: Nishi leaves the police in the face of harrowing personal and professional difficulties. Spiraling into depression, he makes questionable decisions.

Outrage (2010)

Stars: Takeshi Kitano, Kippei Shîna, Ryô Kase

Premise: The boss of a major crime syndicate orders his lieutenant to bring a rogue gang of drug traffickers in line, a job that gets passed on to his long-suffering subordinate.

Brother (2000)

Stars: Takeshi Kitano, Claude Maki, Omar Epps

Premise: A Japanese gangster is exiled to Los Angeles where his brother lives with a small but respectable multi-racial gang, who he inspires to expand their influence.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @sweetviolenturg @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @Fugitive Pete @HenryFlower @Zer

Always wanted to get into Beat Takeshi but I haven't... so I just voted for the most interesting-looking trailer. ;)

@europe1 bro, is there a Swedish dub of Takeshi's Castle as well? I used to watch the American dub all the time, and went back and watched some on hulu more recently. It was called MXC, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. To this day I still think it's the funniest show I've ever seen. I know that several countries have their own dubs. I've seen some clips of the UK dub, which I assume has a different title.

Are these niche movies? Never heard of em.

They're Japanese so prob not on everyone's radar, but Beat Takeshi is a legend in Japan and IMO one of their best living directors. Don't think it's too controversial to say he's made at least a couple of films that are absolute classics of Japanese cinema (And they've had a lot of great directors)

They're Japanese so prob not on everyone's radar, but Beat Takeshi is a legend in Japan and IMO one of their best living directors. Don't think it's too controversial to say he's made at least a couple of films that are absolute classics of Japanese cinema (And they've had a lot of great directors)
Thanks, What would you recommend first?

I love that show. Watched the entire 5:23, busted a spleen, would watch again.

I remember being like 12 years old and watching that show after coming home from school, constantly wondering "How the hell are these people not getting crippled all the time!? Damn Japanese are made out of rubber."

@europe1 bro, is there a Swedish dub of Takeshi's Castle as well?

Nah we don't dub anything save children's cartoons. We had the American version. Which made it even stranger watching a Japanese show via an English dubbing while reading Swedish subtitles.

Me trying to pick between these four films.

sweating-buckets-o.gif

I remember being like 12 years old and watching that show after coming home from school, constantly wondering "How the hell are these people not getting crippled all the time!? Damn Japanese are made out of rubber."

The wipe outs are epic which makes the jokes even funnier. There was definitely some CTE to be had on that show.

Wow all 4 trailers are superb. I'm watching them all yolo. Anywhere I can catch them?

Brilliant week, well done all.

Last edited:
Lol Fernando Sucre with hair. Number 4 gets my pick for the poll. Closely followed by 2.

He's certainly a very unique mix of styles, I'v not seen much of his more straight forward comic persona outside of Takashi's castle but he gives the impression of a quite broad and deliberately puerile. His cinematic persona I would say the closest Hollywood example is perhaps Jim Carrey's artier work, a mixture of extreme drama(although generally much of stoic) and childlike innocence often mixed with extreme violence.

To get across the strange mix as well in the 90's and early 00's he was the main director that Joe Hisaishi worked for besides Hayao Miyazaki, you've probably heard....

Next week is the Battle Royale!

Battle Royale? Beat Takeshi? Geddit?

Imagine I'd nominated Battle Royale and it won, and then we'd have a Battle Royale after Battle Royale. Chaos.

Is this better than Owning Mahowney??

How about Parasite? Just saw it last night.

Battle Royale? Beat Takeshi? Geddit?

Imagine I'd nominated Battle Royale and it won, and then we'd have a Battle Royale after Battle Royale. Chaos.

He's a lot of the reason that film is more than a pulp curiosity IMHO

Back