1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 195 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by europe1, Jan 22, 2020.

?

Let's pick the Week 194 movie!

Poll closed Jan 24, 2020.
  1. Chronicle of a Summer (1961)

11.1%
  2. Pina (2011)

11.1%
  3. Close Up (1990)

44.4%
  4. Minding the Gap (2018)

33.3%
  1. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

[​IMG]

Yes people! We're in for another non-fiction week! HenryFlowers *claims* that he has had these Nominations planned out ever since making his previous sleaze-week. But we all know his REAL reason for making this list! Straight up Europhobia! That's right, it's a personal attack against me! Coldhearted, no!?
    Candidates:

Chronicle of a Summer (1961)

[​IMG]

Director: Jean Rouch & Edgar Morin

Stars: Angelo, Nadine Ballot, Catherine

Premise: A documentary about the everyday lives of ordinary Parisians, done in the style of cinéma vérité.

Why HenryFlower picked it: Chronicle of a Summer (cinéma vérité doc that is a reflexive experiment in deconstructing the “cinematic form and moral engagement that underlie the very genre, the very idea of nonfiction film.”)

(Can't find a trailer on Youtube but it's here)
    https://mubi.com/id/films/chronicle-of-a-summer/trailer

Pina (2011)

[​IMG]

Director: Wim Wenders

Stars: Pina Bausch, Regina Advento, Malou Airaudo

Premise: A tribute to the late German choreographer, Pina Bausch, as her dancers perform her most famous creations.

Why HenryFlower picked it: Pina (a love letter that takes an experimental approach meant to mirror the subject’s choreography style.)

Close Up (1990)

[​IMG]

Director: Abbas Kiarostami

Stars: Hossain Sabzian, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Abolfazl Ahankhah

Premise: The true story of Hossain Sabzian that impersonated the director Mohsen Makhmalbaf to convince a family they would star in his so-called new film.

Why HenryFlower picked it: Close-up (a masterpiece of docufiction. Kiarostami expertly stitches together truth & fiction to blur the lines between documentary & narrative filmmaking.)

(I can't find a trailer with English Subtitles at all but the movie is up on Youtube)

Minding the Gap (2018)

[​IMG]

Director: Bing Liu

Stars: Keire Johnson, Bing Liu, Zack Mulligan

Premise: Three young men bond together to escape volatile families in their Rust-Belt hometown. As they face adult responsibilities, unexpected revelations threaten their decade-long friendship.

Why HenryFlower picked it: Minding the Gap (the most “straightforward” documentary of the bunch, but what it lacks in genre bending it makes up for tenfold in telling a very personal, captivating story that was years in the making.)

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @sweetviolenturg @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @HenryFlower @Zer

2. JayPettryMMA Danger Zone Aficionado Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

Just as I'm getting ready to catch back up in the club, it comes to a screeching halt again.

3. JayPettryMMA Danger Zone Aficionado Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

I actually really wanted to see one of these though, so let's cross our fingers.

4. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

5. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

also, for what it’s worth, i chose three movies that stretch the boundaries of “nonfiction” & one that highlights the strength of it.

6. FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Documentary week?
    [​IMG]

7. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

8. FrontNakedChoke ____________________

9. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

We Have A Winner!
    [​IMG]

Hey the Documentary I voted for won! Even though it's a docufiction, hornswoggling Iranian families is one of my favourite sources of entertainment. So I think I'll give it a try anyhow. And I won't even be doing it on a balcony while freezing (cough @Yotsuya)

As a reminder, the entire movie is available on Youtube

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @sweetviolenturg @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @Fugitive Pete @HenryFlower @Zer

10. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

ofc you cowards would vote for the most non-documentary documentary!

idc that this is one of my all time favorites & i think you’ll all love it! cowards!

11. Yotsuya Brown Belt

Baby steps and some day you’ll be watching Shoah while climbing the Everest.