1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 194 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by europe1, Jan 15, 2020.

?

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 194 movie!

Poll closed Jan 17, 2020.
  1. Marketa Lazarova (1967)

20.0%
  2. Wings of Desire (1987)

10.0%
  3. Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998)

30.0%
  4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

40.0%
  1. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

The theme of @moreorless87's week can best be summarized with this Simpsons clip.

Candidates:

Marketa Lazarova (1967)

[​IMG]

Director: Frantisek Vlácil

Stars: Josef Kemr, Magda Vásáryová, Nada Hejna

Premise: A grim portrayal of the shift from Paganism to Christianity in medieval Czechoslovakia - as a young virgin promised to God is kidnapped and raped by a marauder who her religious father seeks to kill in return.

Wings of Desire (1987)

[​IMG]

Director: Wim Wenders

Stars: Bruno Ganz, Solveig Dommartin, Otto Sander

Premise: An angel tires of overseeing human activity and wishes to become human when he falls in love with a mortal.

Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998)

[​IMG]

Director: Aleksey German

Stars: Yuriy Tsurilo, Nina Ruslanova, Mikhail Dementyev

Premise: Military doctor General Klenski is arrested in Stalin's Russia in 1953 during an anti-Semitic political campaign accused of being a participant in so-called "doctors' plot"

Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

[​IMG]

Director: Béla Tarr, Ágnes Hranitzky

Stars: Lars Rudolph, Peter Fitz, Hanna Schygulla

Premise: An innocent young man witnesses violence break out after an isolated village is inflamed by the arrival of a circus and its peculiar attractions: a giant whale and a mysterious man named "The Prince."

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @sweetviolenturg @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @HenryFlower @Zer

2. Bubzeh Silver Belt

Can't wait to watch these trailers later. Needed a real pick me up after the day I've had...

3. moreorless87 Straba

@europe1

Not all as deadly serious as the trailers make them look, Marketa has the voice of god get into an argument with a character and accuse him of shagging his pet sheep and Khrustalyov is arguably even more circus like than Hard to Be a God, entertaining even if you have fuck all idea whats going on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  4. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

all fantastic movies. idk what to pick.

5. MusterX Titanium Belt

I have it narrowed down to 2, still haven't decided. I'm wondering if these films are too...heady, for this club.

6. moreorless87 Straba

I actually looked to pick stuff that wasn't "heady" in terms of demanding paragraphs of in-depth discussion about philosophy ala say Stalker or Persona, I would say really there pretty simple films in that respect but obviously have quite strange styles to them.

7. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

i do think they will turn off some members, but for the members who do connect w/ them, it will be a worthwhile experience watching & discussing any of these films.

i think i have to go be my favorite out of the four because it’s also the one that i haven’t seen as recently as the others. maybe i should just watch all four again & then decide on my vote lol

8. moreorless87 Straba

Hopefully none of them are that difficult to track down, did consider going with Damnation instead but that's quite hard to get in the US isn't it? Khrustalyov is actually on amazon prime for streaming relatively cheaply.

9. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not a big fan of "slow cinema." A little too slow for me. (Get it?) That said, the musical score of Werckmeister Harmonies is one of the GOAT and probably (off the top of my head, at least, it is) the non-Ennio Morricone GOAT. In fact, since I'm already here and posting this, I'll go out on a limb and say that the top 3 GOAT music scores are Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Werckmeister Harmonies.

10. europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

We Have A Winner!

[​IMG]

Congratulations fellow Sherdog Movie Club member! We've reached the pinnacle of arthouse. No kidding, this director has a 7h 30min film on his resume. He's that artsy! :D

Personally, I'm just glad neither Wings of Desire nor Marketa Lazarova won since I'm not a fan of either movie (especially not Wings of Desire)

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @sweetviolenturg @FrontNakedChoke @chickenluver @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @HARRISON_3 @Bubzeh @moreorless87 @HenryFlower @Zer

11. JayPettryMMA Danger Zone Aficionado Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

Bring on Warhol's Empire!

12. Gurglevox Banned Banned

lol simpsons clip used to make me laugh so hard as a kid

13. Bubzeh Silver Belt

I narrowed it down to the bottom two and forgot to vote. Fml.

14. MusterX Titanium Belt

Damn, I wanted to see Dude, Where's My Car?

15. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

LMAO @ the Worker and Parasite reference