SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 16 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 16 Movie!

Poll closed Aug 12, 2016.
  1. Black Swan (2010)

26.7%
  2. Pi (1998)

46.7%
  3. The Fountain (2006)

13.3%
  4. Predestination (2014)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Spring Breakers (2012)

13.3%
  1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Confused about what's going on in here? See the following thread:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/could-a-sherdog-movie-watching-club-work.3237221/

Since our beloved @HUNTERMANIA is back from the dead, we're going to go ahead and do his week this time around. And that, of course, means Aronofsky shit (sans a couple of titles, interestingly enough).

So let's get to it!

Here are our candidates!

Black Swan (2010)

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Stars: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel

Premise: A committed dancer wins the lead role in a production of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" only to find herself struggling to maintain her sanity.

Why @HUNTERMANIA picked it: The best movie I've ever seen, my favorite movie of all time, etc. I love this movie and I feel like it hits on many deep elements about life, personal development, what we pursue, why we pursue it, the nature of obsession, family relationships, etc. Truly an amazing film.

Trailer:

Pi (1998)

Stars: Sean Gullette, Mark Margolis, Ben Shenkman

Premise: A paranoid mathematician searches for a key number that will unlock the universal patterns found in nature.

Why @HUNTERMANIA picked it: Another Aronofsky film that I absolutely love. Brilliant premise about a mathematician trying to crack the code behind the stock market. Can he do it? What are the consequences of finding something like that out? Are we even capable of handling it?

Trailer:

The Fountain (2006)

Stars: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Sean Patrick Thomas

Premise: As a modern-day scientist, Tommy is struggling with mortality, desperately searching for the medical breakthrough that will save the life of his cancer-stricken wife, Izzi.

Why @HUNTERMANIA picked it: Another Aronofsky film that blew me away. Very emotional movie. Makes you think a lot about what is valuable in life and what price you'd pay to keep it. This one makes me cry every time, in a good way.

Trailer:

Predestination (2014)

Directors: The Spierig Brothers

Stars: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor

Premise: For his final assignment, a top temporal agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time. The chase turns into a unique, surprising and mind-bending exploration of love, fate, identity and time travel taboos.

Why @HUNTERMANIA picked it: LOVED this film. Amazing study of individuals. This is one of the only movies that I watched and saw and felt like "that character understands my pain." (which is saying something). Very intriguing movie. I don't want to give anything away, but for me a lot of it is about what kind of relationship you should have with yourself, or what the effects of the relationship you have with yourself have on your development.

Trailer:

Spring Breakers (2012)

Director: Harmony Korine

Stars: James Franco, Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson

Premise: Four college girls hold up a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation. While partying/drinking/taking drugs they are arrested only to be bailed out by a drug and arms dealer.

Why @HUNTERMANIA picked it: A really interesting SATIRE. THIS IS A SATIRE --- many people don't seem to get that watching it and take it seriously... it has a serious tone but it is a satire and is not meant to be completely realistic, although there are some parts that are very realistic. Amazing music, colors, and messages pretty much in every scene.

Trailer:

[​IMG]

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @Luke Rockhard @TheRuthlessOne @EL CORINTHIAN @mb23100 @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @DaDamn @chickenluver @gorgonon @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @method115

gorgonon and HUNTERMANIA like this.
  2. HUNTERMANIA

HUNTERMANIA Always Striving. Platinum Member

YES!!!

gorgonon and Guestx like this.
  3. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

Poll up. Interested to see how this one goes, for sure. Not sure which way I'll pick this week, seen em all and know at least one on that list I'm not feeling like watching over again. And yes, I'm alive. Barry Lyndoning tomorrow, Blood Simple maybe Friday.

4. Guestx

Guestx Guest

IT'SSSS TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

HUNTERMANIA likes this.
  5. jei

I can't imagine which one Huntermania likes best, his AV doesn't give me much to work with.

europe1, Guestx and HUNTERMANIA like this.
  6. HUNTERMANIA

[​IMG]

gorgonon and Guestx like this.
  7. HUNTERMANIA

Yeah and it's not like I said in the previews which one was my favorite movie of all times, lol! The anti- @jeicex description!

No, but seriously, I like all these movies or I wouldn't have picked them. I might be down for some Pi or The Fountain bc I haven't seen them in a while and I've watched Black Swan and Predestination like 30 times each this year

8. jei

You may be the first person in human history to have watched an Ethan Hawke movie 30 times in seven months.

9. HUNTERMANIA

Gattaca is another really great movie. Could have made this list now that I think about it. Ethan Hawke is a good actor! 30 might be an overstatement. 15 wouldn't be though.

gorgonon likes this.
  10. HUNTERMANIA

and @Bullitt68 these were my choices (I didn't want to post them before the thread came out) lol I know you'll love each of them! :)

11. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

[​IMG]

I'll tell you what. Even though I'm not part of the club, if Black Swan wins, I'll rewatch it and post in the thread for it. I watched it once when it came out and thought it sucked but I'd be willing to give it a second chance for you.

HUNTERMANIA likes this.
  12. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Voted Spring Breakers. Heard it's not the greatest tbh, but Benoit Debie is the tits

HUNTERMANIA likes this.
  13. Guestx

Guestx Guest

It's a love it or hate it movie, one of those that some people get and some people just don't. I personally love it and own it on Blu-Ray.

HUNTERMANIA likes this.
  14. HUNTERMANIA

[​IMG]

15. HUNTERMANIA

It's really good... in its own way. That's why I emphasized the SATIRE part of it, lol.

16. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I'm being serious when I say that James Franco's crazy ass performance was Oscar level.

17. HUNTERMANIA

[​IMG]

Guestx likes this.
  18. jei

Wow, I'm shocked at the results so far.

Guestx likes this.
  19. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I'm the only person to vote for Spring Breakers. I look like a sick weirdo voting for the jailbait flick.

DaDamn likes this.
  20. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Me too. I've eventually just come to understand that this club is composed of a bunch of weirdos.

DaDamn likes this.