SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 155 movie!

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 155 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sci-fi? But hey, not as odd as Henry being called a comedy.

"Sci-Fi" pretty much meant "Weird" to them, so they threw in a Cronenberg amidst the creatures, the aliens, and the homicidal tires :D

Segura never registered on my stand-up radar.

If by "never registered" you mean you've seen him and he didn't make an impact, then I'd be curious to know what you watched. On the other hand, if by "never registered" you mean you'd never heard of him, then there are three steps available to you:

Step 1: Go to Netflix.

Step 2: Type in Mostly Stories.

Step 3: Become a Tom Segura fan.

He has three specials on Netflix - Completely Normal, Mostly Stories, and Disgraceful - and while I love them all I think that Mostly Stories is his strongest special to date (though Completely Normal has a hilarious bit on Seagal). He's also done two episodes of This Is Not Happening, a phenomenal series on Comedy Central and viewable on Youtube where comics tell horrifying/embarrassing stories; episodes of Hot Ones and Truth or Dab on the First We Feast Youtube channel; and, of course, other people's podcasts, most notably a bunch of JRE appearances, sometimes with his wife, sometimes solo, or sometimes with Bert Kreischer and/or Ari Shaffir and/or Joey Diaz.

In short, the dude's got plenty of content out there and I'd recommend it all. He and Bill Burr are probably my two favorite comics currently working. Brian Regan is the shit, but his last special wasn't at the level Tom and Bill are operating at right now. And then I saw today that Anthony Jeselnik's got a new special coming to Netflix at the end of the month, and if it's just at the same level as Thoughts and Prayers then he's definitely in the conversation, too.

Anyway, I have to cut myself off now or I'll just keep rambling about stand-up.

If by "never registered" you mean you've seen him and he didn't make an impact, then I'd be curious to know what you watched. On the other hand, if by "never registered" you mean you'd never heard of him, then there are three steps available to you:

I'll check him out. Thanks.

I'll check him out. Thanks.

giphy.webp

LOL, stay in there too long and you will see that the War Room is in fact, cancer causing. When I first registered an account I used to frequent the War Room and I can tell you that virtually none of the same people are in there now as when I was in there. Some of them are still on Sherdog but they avoid the War Room. I'll drop by occasionally to see whats going on but man, talk about wrapped up tight in the left/right paradigm. Its tough conditioning to break.

I don't know man. I mean, what kind of person joins a Movie Club anyways? You pretty much have to be a sexual degenerate to even consider doing something like that in the first place.

giphy.gif

I just watched that scene. That bitch is cold as ice. Her face is expressionless as she contemplates the moment when the boy will drown. And those eyes, cold and dead.
200.gif

Made me think of Breaking Bad when Walter watched Jessie's girl OD.

I'll be opting out of this week. I like evil movies. I don't like movies that tell a story as ugly as this one that is based on reality...sorry. I watched it a long time ago when I was young enough to be fascinated by serial killers without feeling empathy for their victims. I'm no longer that person. I read the synopsis to see if there was a chance I could get through it, and I didn't make it through the entire recap...so with that

giphy.gif

I'll be opting out of this week. I like evil movies. I don't like movies that tell a story as ugly as this one that is based on reality...sorry. I watched it a long time ago when I was young enough to be fascinated by serial killers without feeling empathy for their victims. I'm no longer that person. I read the synopsis to see if there was a chance I could get through it, and I didn't make it through the entire recap...so with that

giphy.gif

Why did you let @Cubo de Sangre do this? I think I hear him driving by now...

giphy.gif

@europe1 - what happened to @sickc0d3r?

You remember that scene in Misery when that woman hobbled James Caan's foot with an hammer and its all mangled and he's screaming and it hurts really bad?

That didn't happen to sickc0d3r. But something much worse did. He left the movie club. He hadn't contributed since Interstellar so we parted ways. I know that I allow some people to go inactive for pretty long (especially if they're longstanding members). Normally if they express a continued interest in the SMC I allow them to stay on. But his week was comming up so it seemed necessary.

RIP @sickc0d3r Week 76 - Week 154 one of our most loyal and longstanding notables.

I just hope that his soul has gone to a better place...

*Lets check his post history and see if his soul has gone to a better that...

Oh My God!

OH SWEET JESUS NO!

He's posting in the WarRoom!:eek::eek::eek:

OH GOD NO WHY GOD WHY GOD WHY GOD SWEET JESUS NOOOOO!!!

aldo.gif%3Fw%3D1000

You could argue theres generally a tendancy for cinema(especially in the UK/US) to link sex into some kind of dysfunction, its the domain of abuse, serial killers and the mentally unbalanced. As I said in my Nom thread I think part of the reason Blue is the Warmest Colour got such a negative reaction from some quarters relative to something like Shame was that its sex wasn't dysfunctional. Not that many films that show it in such a fashion aren't worthwhile but I do think there's some Christian sexual guilt at work in the preference for them, even with non religious people.

Why did you let @Cubo de Sangre do this? I think I hear him driving by now...

giphy.gif

We have a very egalitarian home....

giphy.gif

and he does what he wants! Which can sometimes lead to

giphy.gif

and some

giphy.gif

Which was more my reaction to the second most popular movie of this voting cycle when I watched the preview

giphy.gif

You remember that scene in Misery when that woman hobbled James Caan's foot with an hammer and its all mangled and he's screaming and it hurts really bad?

That didn't happen to sickc0d3r. But something much worse did. He left the movie club. He hadn't contributed since Interstellar so we parted ways. I know that I allow some people to go inactive for pretty long (especially if they're longstanding members). Normally if they express a continued interest in the SMC I allow them to stay on. But his week was comming up so it seemed necessary.

RIP @sickc0d3r Week 76 - Week 154 one of our most loyal and longstanding notables.

I just hope that his soul has gone to a better place...

*Lets check his post history and see if his soul has gone to a better that...

Oh My God!

OH SWEET JESUS NO!

He's posting in the WarRoom!:eek::eek::eek:

OH GOD NO WHY GOD WHY GOD WHY GOD SWEET JESUS NOOOOO!!!

aldo.gif%3Fw%3D1000

@sickc0d3r

giphy.gif

I saw Naked Lunch for the first and still to this day only time as one of the many films screened during a Sci-Fi Spectacular! marathon in Chicago nearly ten years ago. Not counting the marathon-capping midnight screening of Event Horizon, of the movies that I saw there for the first time, Rubber and Naked Lunch were easily the two best. Unfortunately, though, I don't remember anything about Naked Lunch beyond that I liked it, so I'd be up for a rewatch.
Rubber as in the movie about a killer tire? We actually watched that for the club a while back.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sherdog-movie-club-week-44-discussion-rubber.3481915/

Back