SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 15 movie!

Sherdog Movie Club Week 15: Let's pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tons-of-Rabbits-in-Rabbit-Island-in-Japan-GIF.gif
What's the story behind this?

@Zer did you know I'd identify with Paris, Texas -- how did you know my real name? (it's not Hunter, fwiw). If you didn't, why did you recommend it? That was a good movie.

Hit me with another recommendation.

@Zer did you know I'd identify with Paris, Texas -- how did you know my real name? (it's not Hunter, fwiw). If you didn't, why did you recommend it? That was a good movie.

200.gif

Bruh have you seen All About Eve?

200.gif

Bruh have you seen All About Eve?

From 1950? Nope.

Downloading. Another choice so I can pick? I'll probably watch that one at some point tho, it looks good.

Have you watched the show Hannibal, bro? I think you'd REALLY like it. It's so real, there's so much good human psychology and understanding... from what you're recommending to me, I think you'd really like it. Plus, it's hilarious and beautiful and amazing and exciting... best show ever.

What's the story behind this?

It's from a youtube about a tourist from Hong Kong @ a japanese 'rabbit' island:

From Description: The original Rabbit Stampede- woman chased by hundreds of cute rabbits. A tourist from Hong Kong captures this amazing video at Okunoshima ("Rabbit Island") in Japan - quite possibly the cutest video of all time. The island is home to thousands of bunnies that were introduced during WWII and quickly populated the island. Now tourists visit the island to see the rabbits and the cuteness.

It's where all the bunnies from Watership Down retired to at the ending of the film.

From 1950? Nope.

Downloading. Another choice so I can pick? I'll probably watch that one at some point tho, it looks good.

With All About Eve it'd just be cool to hear your take on it, since you're crazy about Black Swan. But don't expect Black Swan. AAE is about performance and celebrity and the complexities of women though

As for another recommendation idk I'm gonna watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie tonight. Sounds good

Have you watched the show Hannibal, bro? I think you'd REALLY like it. It's so real, there's so much good human psychology and understanding... from what you're recommending to me, I think you'd really like it. Plus, it's hilarious and beautiful and amazing and exciting... best show ever.

I haven't seen it brah. I guess it'd be interesting to see another Lecter performance because I don't like Hopkins' at all. Brian Cox ftw

I haven't seen it brah. I guess it'd be interesting to see another Lecter performance because I don't like Hopkins' at all. Brian Cox ftw

Trust me, you should watch it. It's SO good. It's wayyyy better, deeper and more complex than any of the Hannibal movies. They're not even close. Silence of the Lambs is a good movie, but Hannibal the show is a masterpiece and the level of psychological insight... I've never any other show with that level of writing in it. I had to watch it many times to understand all the things that were going on. It doesn't rely on cheap-scares or whatever, IDK. Also, this portrayal is not just about a cannibal, they're portraying Hannibal Lecter as Lucifer personified, like the actual devil as a human being and all that implies. I can't recommend it enough.

Also, this portrayal is not just about a cannibal, they're portraying Hannibal Lecter as Lucifer personified, like the actual devil as a human being and all that implies

That sounds pretty interesting. I hated the childishness of the Hopkins Lecter, but I guess Mikkelson's performance is a lot more suave and sophisticated (Just from looking at stills you get dat impression). I'll check it out bro

That sounds pretty interesting. I hated the childishness of the Hopkins Lecter, but I guess Mikkelson's performance is a lot more suave and sophisticated (Just from looking at stills you get dat impression). I'll check it out bro

Yay! Mikkelson is perfect as Lecter and as Lucifer. Let me know what you think! Bullitt68 and I are huge Hannibal fans and I mainly talk about it in the Serious Movie Discussion, but feel free to let me know how it's going as these threads continue! I'm gonna be asking you how you liked it, lol. Hannibal is on the same level as Black Swan for me. Maybe even greater because there's so much more material for it, but they're together at the top for me in terms of entertainment/personal-insight/quality/any-way-I-could-evaluate-something.

Blood Simple Wins! Blood Simple Wins! Fuck the bunnies!

Do you hear that Gorgonon?! I said FUCK THOSE BUNNIES!

Nah, I'm just playin' Gorg, you know I love you bro. I'm sure Watership is a fine movie and would be great for those of you who voted for it to go off and explore . . . on your own . . . without the rest of us. You can report back and let us know how it is.

Because this go around, by a final vote of 7-4, the Coen's have laid the fucking smackdown! COENS FOR LIFE!

GTFIH on Wednesday to discuss!

Blood-Simple-Movie-Poster-295x441.jpg

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @Luke Rockhard @TheRuthlessOne @EL CORINTHIAN @mb23100 @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @DaDamn @chickenluver @gorgonon @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @method115

I would have voted for Blood Simple, but it looks like the poll is closed. :(:(

@Zer -- Ok I ended up writing a bunch about All About Eve, lol.

Just started this, only 30 minutes in but I'm already loving it. Feeling a very strong relation to Eve. Since you requested, I'll try to stop and say what's on my mind every half hour or so, but I probably won't get too detailed. I was stunned when she said how many times she watched the play.... it sounded like me talking about Black Swan and you said that's why you recommended it (bc of my reaction to that movie), ahahha, I was like 'wow, I can't believe this.' I'm excited now, I can tell this is going to be good. I'm similar to Eve in the way that she becomes best friends with Margo so quick, she was everything to her, "friend, secretary, investigator, psychiatrist, and cop" -- that's what I try to do. That's how I am with people. You said this is about women - I'm a guy, but I've found that I have a pretty feminine nature and some strong feminine tendencies. Most of my favorite characters are women and they're usually the ones that stand out to me quickest. "The honeymoon was on," and I'm not sure about Eve's motives at this point, but, like I said, that's how I try to be with people except I try to keep the honeymoon going for the whole relationship and my best friends are the ones with whom the honeymoon has kept going the whole time.

Ok I might end up commenting more than I thought on this movie because I'm really enjoying it. This is only a few minutes later, but Margo is becoming upset/suspicious with Eve because Eve is doing everything too perfectly, like placing that call for Mr. Sampson, and that reminds me exactly of how it's been at my friend's house that I've been living with. I have good manners - I'm very polite - and I'm thoughtful and I work hard all day, so, at first when I got there, I could tell it was off-putting, like, we weren't used to being together all the time (we've been best friends since pre-school but I hadn't seen him in like 3 years). And I certainly have never lived with him and his family, so... how I was with them, he had to be with them, like complimenting his mom for dinner or how I was with his brother and sister, etc. And there was tension over that and I had to make it so that he knew I wasn't trying to do anything, like I'm not trying to supplant him (as if that were even possible, lol) or something, there's no agenda, I'm just being who I am and I'm still his best friend... that's just who I am. Now, we're no longer 'roommates getting used to each other', we're 'best friends' again, so obviously we got past that and everything is good, but I am strongly identifying with how Eve is being portrayed right now. If Margo doesn't want to be shown up, she should work harder and not take things for granted.

"She seemed so interested" - Mr. Sampson -- yes, just paying attention to people can get you so far.

"We know you, we've seen you like this before. Is it over or is it just beginning?" -- "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night." Lol!! I fucking love this movie, this dialogue is so good.

Concern about aging... that'd be rough. One reason I'm definitely glad I'm a guy and I have good genes, thanks mom! Haven't noticed how pretty Eve is either until this party when she asks to be the next understudy. Good directing, good casting, good acting, good dialogue. This is a great movie. Even Eve is looking catty at Ms. Casswell when she gets Max Fabian to get her a drink. That was good. This is getting even better.

Ahh!! I can't believe I'm writing so much. What have you done to me, @Zer ?!?!

Mr. Sampson talking about theater being all work-ethic and determination now with Addison DeWitt, Eve, and Mrs. Casswell and Eve is like "Monday, I grind! Tuesday, I grind! Wednesday, I grind! Thursday, I grind! Friday, I grind! Saturday, I grind! Sunday, I grind! and that's why I'm here today." (Ok she didn't say that, that's just some motivational stuff that I listen to, but she's got the same mindset). "If there's nothing else, there's applause," -- at the center of being a people-pleaser and why you would to be on stage. But, see, life is a stage, at least to me, and, now, as I realize the importance of it, even to God. And this is why I like Black Swan so much, which you were astute to notice - it being about performance and approval (and perfection).

Wow, what a great line, "Do they have auditions for television?" -- "That's all television is, my dear, nothing but auditions." -- Lol!!

"I wish someone would tell me about me." - I can so relate, but they've been telling her about herself all movie long. She just doesn't want to pay attention. Wow -- this is where I identify with women, this quote: "That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." -- not about being a woman, but about being a person as a job or an act or something you have to figure out and work on. I've always felt that because nothing ever came natural to me. I don't think I'd ever seen why I identified with women laid out so clearly. Women are fierce competitors, they just compete over different things than men do most of the time.. as the quote ends with her needing a man, and I've never felt much need for anyone.

Lol @ Eve going after Bill as soon as she could. That ho!

"That cynicism you referred to I acquired from the day I discovered I was different from little boys!" -- see that's where I'm a guy through and through, I'm not cynical like women or even cynical and suspicious at all. I'd get played just like Lloyd, or even worse.

lol @ Karen now realizing who Eve is and getting catty about it, AFTER setting up her friend Margo... unbelievable.

"Nothing is forever in the theater," but see, with God it is forever. Eve finally reveals herself as the killer she is to get the part from Karen. That was good. Lol !! Then Margo doesn't even want the part. Karen starts laughing - that was hilarious.

Karen talking about her relationship with Lloyd goes nicely with the quote from Margo a couple lines up - I added some to my commentary about it (women being competitors and all

Lol, Addison calls Eve a killer just as I did, hilarious. WOW. This ho... "Something told you to listen to what I said, didn't it? That instinct is worth millions. You can't buy it, Eve. Cherish it." -- when I say nothing ever came natural to me, I'm saying I didn't have instincts like that, which I just explained to someone earlier. @Zer are you the devil? How the fuck did you know to recommend these movies to me? Are you reading my journal? What the fuck. Seriously, you're either a genius, an evil spirit, or an angel sending me some message from God I cannot decipher. YOU MUST WATCH HANNIBAL --- I'm not even kidding you dude, YOU MUST WATCH IT. If you like the two movies you recommended to me, Hannibal must be next.

Three years, again, as was mentioned earlier. Another thing that keeps coming up in my mind, although I won't elaborate on it.

She says the party is for the award, not for her, which Addison replies, "It's the same thing, isn't it?" And she says, "Exactly." --- that's why, with God, you get to perform and be yourself because it's not a false performance and it lasts forever. Stunning. This really has been the most informative movie about myself that I've seen in years. Holy shit.. Eve's doppelganger shows up at the end. I didn't even need to see that play out. As soon as I saw her, I knew. This movie really IS so similar to Black Swan -- no one recommended it to me, no article sourced it as something Aronofsky might have borrowed from. Wow the mirrors at the end... it goes on forever, reflecting back onto themselves. Stunning.

Both of these movies have been revelations!!! Thank so much, @Zer !

You should really participate in the Serious Movie Discussion thread.

Bumping for anyone who hasn't seen that a winner's been declared.

@Zer -- Ok I ended up writing a bunch about All About Eve, lol.

Just started this, only 30 minutes in but I'm already loving it. Feeling a very strong relation to Eve. Since you requested, I'll try to stop and say what's on my mind every half hour or so, but I probably won't get too detailed. I was stunned when she said how many times she watched the play.... it sounded like me talking about Black Swan and you said that's why you recommended it (bc of my reaction to that movie), ahahha, I was like 'wow, I can't believe this.' I'm excited now, I can tell this is going to be good. I'm similar to Eve in the way that she becomes best friends with Margo so quick, she was everything to her, "friend, secretary, investigator, psychiatrist, and cop" -- that's what I try to do. That's how I am with people. You said this is about women - I'm a guy, but I've found that I have a pretty feminine nature and some strong feminine tendencies. Most of my favorite characters are women and they're usually the ones that stand out to me quickest. "The honeymoon was on," and I'm not sure about Eve's motives at this point, but, like I said, that's how I try to be with people except I try to keep the honeymoon going for the whole relationship and my best friends are the ones with whom the honeymoon has kept going the whole time.

Ok I might end up commenting more than I thought on this movie because I'm really enjoying it. This is only a few minutes later, but Margo is becoming upset/suspicious with Eve because Eve is doing everything too perfectly, like placing that call for Mr. Sampson, and that reminds me exactly of how it's been at my friend's house that I've been living with. I have good manners - I'm very polite - and I'm thoughtful and I work hard all day, so, at first when I got there, I could tell it was off-putting, like, we weren't used to being together all the time (we've been best friends since pre-school but I hadn't seen him in like 3 years). And I certainly have never lived with him and his family, so... how I was with them, he had to be with them, like complimenting his mom for dinner or how I was with his brother and sister, etc. And there was tension over that and I had to make it so that he knew I wasn't trying to do anything, like I'm not trying to supplant him (as if that were even possible, lol) or something, there's no agenda, I'm just being who I am and I'm still his best friend... that's just who I am. Now, we're no longer 'roommates getting used to each other', we're 'best friends' again, so obviously we got past that and everything is good, but I am strongly identifying with how Eve is being portrayed right now. If Margo doesn't want to be shown up, she should work harder and not take things for granted.

"She seemed so interested" - Mr. Sampson -- yes, just paying attention to people can get you so far.

"We know you, we've seen you like this before. Is it over or is it just beginning?" -- "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night." Lol!! I fucking love this movie, this dialogue is so good.

Concern about aging... that'd be rough. One reason I'm definitely glad I'm a guy and I have good genes, thanks mom! Haven't noticed how pretty Eve is either until this party when she asks to be the next understudy. Good directing, good casting, good acting, good dialogue. This is a great movie. Even Eve is looking catty at Ms. Casswell when she gets Max Fabian to get her a drink. That was good. This is getting even better.

Ahh!! I can't believe I'm writing so much. What have you done to me, @Zer ?!?!

Mr. Sampson talking about theater being all work-ethic and determination now with Addison DeWitt, Eve, and Mrs. Casswell and Eve is like "Monday, I grind! Tuesday, I grind! Wednesday, I grind! Thursday, I grind! Friday, I grind! Saturday, I grind! Sunday, I grind! and that's why I'm here today." (Ok she didn't say that, that's just some motivational stuff that I listen to, but she's got the same mindset). "If there's nothing else, there's applause," -- at the center of being a people-pleaser and why you would to be on stage. But, see, life is a stage, at least to me, and, now, as I realize the importance of it, even to God. And this is why I like Black Swan so much, which you were astute to notice - it being about performance and approval (and perfection).

Wow, what a great line, "Do they have auditions for television?" -- "That's all television is, my dear, nothing but auditions." -- Lol!!

"I wish someone would tell me about me." - I can so relate, but they've been telling her about herself all movie long. She just doesn't want to pay attention. Wow -- this is where I identify with women, this quote: "That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." -- not about being a woman, but about being a person as a job or an act or something you have to figure out and work on. I've always felt that because nothing ever came natural to me. I don't think I'd ever seen why I identified with women laid out so clearly. Women are fierce competitors, they just compete over different things than men do most of the time.. as the quote ends with her needing a man, and I've never felt much need for anyone.

Lol @ Eve going after Bill as soon as she could. That ho!

"That cynicism you referred to I acquired from the day I discovered I was different from little boys!" -- see that's where I'm a guy through and through, I'm not cynical like women or even cynical and suspicious at all. I'd get played just like Lloyd, or even worse.

lol @ Karen now realizing who Eve is and getting catty about it, AFTER setting up her friend Margo... unbelievable.

"Nothing is forever in the theater," but see, with God it is forever. Eve finally reveals herself as the killer she is to get the part from Karen. That was good. Lol !! Then Margo doesn't even want the part. Karen starts laughing - that was hilarious.

Karen talking about her relationship with Lloyd goes nicely with the quote from Margo a couple lines up - I added some to my commentary about it (women being competitors and all

Lol, Addison calls Eve a killer just as I did, hilarious. WOW. This ho... "Something told you to listen to what I said, didn't it? That instinct is worth millions. You can't buy it, Eve. Cherish it." -- when I say nothing ever came natural to me, I'm saying I didn't have instincts like that, which I just explained to someone earlier. @Zer are you the devil? How the fuck did you know to recommend these movies to me? Are you reading my journal? What the fuck. Seriously, you're either a genius, an evil spirit, or an angel sending me some message from God I cannot decipher. YOU MUST WATCH HANNIBAL --- I'm not even kidding you dude, YOU MUST WATCH IT. If you like the two movies you recommended to me, Hannibal must be next.

Three years, again, as was mentioned earlier. Another thing that keeps coming up in my mind, although I won't elaborate on it.

She says the party is for the award, not for her, which Addison replies, "It's the same thing, isn't it?" And she says, "Exactly." --- that's why, with God, you get to perform and be yourself because it's not a false performance and it lasts forever. Stunning. This really has been the most informative movie about myself that I've seen in years. Holy shit.. Eve's doppelganger shows up at the end. I didn't even need to see that play out. As soon as I saw her, I knew. This movie really IS so similar to Black Swan -- no one recommended it to me, no article sourced it as something Aronofsky might have borrowed from. Wow the mirrors at the end... it goes on forever, reflecting back onto themselves. Stunning.

Both of these movies have been revelations!!! Thank so much, @Zer !

You should really participate in the Serious Movie Discussion thread.

I'm happy you liked it bro. We're both dudes in touch with our feminine sides and films like Black Swan and All About Eve are learning experiences for us

Back