SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 15 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Sherdog Movie Club Week 15: Let's pick the movie!

Poll closed Aug 5, 2016.
  1. Blood Simple (1984)

22.2%
  2. Upstream Color (2013)

16.7%
  3. Watership Down (1978)

22.2%
  4. The Road (2009)

27.8%
  5. The Elephant Man (1980)

11.1%
  1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Confused about what's going on in here? See the following thread:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/could-a-sherdog-movie-watching-club-work.3237221/

@gorgonon is master and commander this week and I think he's got some good stuff for us. In his own words: "I chose these films because they either made me feel something emotionally I wasn't expecting or have the distinct possibility of expanding my experience and challenging what I'm normally comfortable with."

Here are our candidates!

Blood Simple (1984)

Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen

Stars: John Getz, Frances McDormand, Dan Hedaya

Premise: A rich but jealous man hires a private investigator to kill his cheating wife and her new man. But, when blood is involved, nothing is simple.

Why @gorgonon picked it: Coen Brothers first film, and I chose it for the heavy atmosphere and, looking back, it has high level film techniques that make it a suspenseful and deliberate film. You could tell these guys were going to be something special by how masterfully they used the camera and shots in an ambitious yet stylish effort. It was the kind of film that surprised me quickly and drew a kinship with. I liked to watch it inebriated, as it had that heft to draw me in and get lost in it's sensibilities and bravado. Smart film. Watch it drunk, though.

Trailer:

Upstream Color (2013)

Director: Shane Carruth

Stars: Amy Seimetz, Frank Mosley, Shane Carruth

Premise: A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives.

Why @gorgonon picked it: This one is an enigma. It's the kind of film where you get a gut reaction from it and either go with it and let it speak to you on a very personal level, or you reject it and it all seems fake. Suspension of disbelief is challenged here, but I believe if you give it an honest chance, it's worth the extra effort. I really enjoyed it unexpectantly and was that kind of film where I honestly needed to watch the entire credits to just collect myself and move on. Usually I just ditch the credits and get out before the crowds amass.

Trailer:

Watership Down (1978)

Director: Martin Rosen

Stars: John Hurt, Richard Briers, Ralph Richardson

Premise: A group of rabbits flee their doomed warren and face many dangers to find and protect their new home.

Why @gorgonon picked it: Haven't seen this film, but I hear it's an emotional journey and something I should have seen as a youth. I want to see it now so as to challenge myself. I mean, it's just a cartoon, right? It was either this or Plague Dogs, so consider yourself lucky! I saw Animal Farm, the animated film, as a youth, and that was very earth shattering, so hope this meets that level of authenticity in message that only animated animals can give us.

Trailer:

The Road (2009)

Director: John Hillcoat

Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron, Kodi Smit-McPhee

Premise: In a dangerous post-apocalyptic world, an ailing father defends his son as they slowly travel to the sea.

Why @gorgonon picked it: Another one I've heard of as a challenge emotionally and really bordering on horror/suspense, which I normally can't handle. I would be willing to suffer to see this experience I've been missing out on as well as a sense of pride in getting through it. It's a Post-Apocalyptic ethical journey that brings you into the shock and awe of a very possible reality like a film version of playing Cards Against Humanity. I heard it's well done, too, so not as manipulative.

Trailer:

The Elephant Man (1980)

Director: David Lynch

Stars: Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, Anne Bancroft

Premise: A Victorian surgeon rescues a heavily disfigured man who is mistreated while scraping a living as a side-show freak. Behind his monstrous facade, there is revealed a person of intelligence and sensitivity.

Why @gorgonon picked it: A David Lynch film about a deformed individual that will again, pull at the heartstrings and makes you wonder what life is all about and if we're really living it to the fullest. Black and white, too, I saw it when I was younger, and always wondered how it would hold up if I ever went back to it. John Merrick always seemed pitiful and idealistic, and I wonder if he has anything new to tell me all these years later about the world or even about myself.

Trailer:

[​IMG]

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @Mondo Freaks @Luke Rockhard @TheRuthlessOne @EL CORINTHIAN @mb23100 @HUNTERMANIA @iThrillhouse @Zer @DaDamn @chickenluver @gorgonon @jeicex @INTERL0PER @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @BeardotheWeirdo @Caveat @method115

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
    Sir Galahad, gorgonon and Zer like this.
  2. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I've seen Blood Simple and The Elephant Man. They're both pretty great choices @gorgonon

Guestx and gorgonon like this.
  3. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Normally I vote for a movie I've never seen before, but this week my vote is going to one that I've only seen once and have been meaning to re-watch.

There's also one on the list that I really do NOT want to be chosen but I'll refrain from saying which one. We'll see what fate decides.

gorgonon likes this.
  4. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

Thanks Bullitt for the poll.

Guestx and gorgonon like this.
  5. gorgonon

gorgonon Hyeri Belt Platinum Member

I know I've been behind on contributing, but I just finished the Virginia Wolfe, and had a little movie marathon during the weekend. I'm writing up Shane as we speak and will definitely contribute to Barry Lyndon to catch up!

EDIT: Just finished write up on Shane! Soon as you know it, I'll be back to being current. :p

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Tycho Brah, Zer, Guestx and 1 other person like this.
  6. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt Yellow Card

You and me both

gorgonon likes this.
  7. Guestx

Guestx Guest

The voting so far is not going anything like I expected. I literally expected the current leader to get 0 votes.

gorgonon likes this.
  8. Guestx

Guestx Guest

UFC 201 is over. Get your shit together, son!

gorgonon likes this.
  9. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt Yellow Card

The ending of 201 gave me post traumatic stress disorder

Seriously tho I got barry Lyndon playing right now

10. AgedFlatus

AgedFlatus Banned Banned

True story. Last movie I saw was "Taledega nights", in the theater when it came out.

gorgonon likes this.
  11. chickenluver

chickenluver Bookmobile Driver

Brilliant picks @gorgonon

Two are films I really like, the rest I've been meaning to watch, in fact I had one almost set up to watch soon so I gotta vote for that one.

gorgonon likes this.
  12. Guestx

Guestx Guest

That's a sad tale.

TheRuthlessOne and gorgonon like this.
  13. AgedFlatus

AgedFlatus Banned Banned

eh, no idea if its classed as a good comedy/movie, but enjoyed it. Just can't get into movies/shows for prob the same amount of time. I envy those that can though.

14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

gorgonon and chickenluver like this.
  15. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

I miss everyone's old avatar. That's how you remember folks. When avatar changes -- identity changes, you don't remember them anymore.

At least TheRuthlessOne has that Ruthless One theme going.:D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  16. Guestx

Guestx Guest

That's why I have never changed my avatar. I've considered avatar changes in the past, and even screen name changes, but I knew it would probably be more trouble than it was worth.

17. HUNTERMANIA

HUNTERMANIA Always Striving. Platinum Member

Loved The Road -- I want to watch that right now!

gorgonon likes this.
  18. Guestx

Guestx Guest

A Huntermania sighting!

BTW not sure if you saw my last post on the topic but we're doing your Aronofsky fest next week.

19. HUNTERMANIA

HUNTERMANIA Always Striving. Platinum Member

YAY!!!!

[​IMG]

chickenluver, gorgonon and Guestx like this.
  20. chickenluver

chickenluver Bookmobile Driver

I once changed my avatar to a different picture of chickenfucker oops I mean chickenluver (sorry kids) but that's as far as I would go.

@europe1 who's in your av? Is it you?

gorgonon likes this.