SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 119 movie!

Let's pick the week 119 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wahlberg
Easily number 1
tumblr_nvnp87Sd221rfd7lko1_400.gif

tumblr_olcswvP7p71vr5m5eo1_500.gif

tenor.gif

erigqp.gif

tenor.gif

You like my list?

Mark-Wahlberg-Insult-Gif-In-The-Departed.gif

Yeah, @Coolthulu beguiled me with his awesome theme of the week, plus absurd compliments like "you seem reasonable", and then, come to find out, his pick I traded for is 4,537th. I was taken!
11-02-Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

Jokes on him, though, because I was planning to choose the EXACT SAME MOVIES. It's like I am getting two turns this round. HAH!

Dude tried to switch with me and I was like...

giphy.gif

Eric Roberts...man. Who knew the club would be around long enough that he'd be the topic of picks. I love it.

And my top five Marky Mark performances/freakouts?

1) The Departed, easy
2) Pain and Gain, while the movie was ridiculous his performance was top notch
3) The Other Guys, playing the straight man but still really funny served him well, he does a great incredulous face
4) Boogie Nights, probably a staple for everyone else's top five too
5) Ted, because I feel like that's what he'd most likely be like in real life

Honorable Mentions:

Rock Star, because I rented it from my grocery store back when it came out when I was in high school, super underrated but made for rockers/metalheads like me.
The Fighter, because it's one of the best boxing movies ever made, no joke, despite a few historical inaccuracies changed for dramatic effect. I'd put it easily in my top five boxing movies, with Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby, On the Waterfront (although more of a crime drama really), and of course Rocky IV. And yes, Raging Bull is not in my top five boxing movie list, I know, come get some.

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

IGFCQfy.gif

More week-based shenanigans! Coolthulu kidnapped sickc0d3r wife, child, dog, and even his DVD-collection! The only way for sickc to get them back was to trade weeks with that damnable squid. No doubt he will be killed like an 80's villain for this. What could possibly justify such a drastic risk? An ERIC ROBERTS APPRECIATION WEEK!

King of the Gypsies

Director: Frank Pierson

Stars: Eric Roberts, Judd Hirsch, Susan Sarandon

Premise: In the criminal and violent world of modern-day Gypsies based in New York City, their 'king' Zharko Stepanowicz passes his leadership to his unwilling grandson, leaving the skipped father resentful.

Star 80

Director: Bob Fosse

Stars: Mariel Hemingway, Eric Roberts, Cliff Robertson

Premise: A successful young model finds trouble when her obsessive manager-turned-husband becomes dangerously jealous. Based on the true story of 1980 Playmate of the Year Dorothy Stratten.

The Pope of Greenwich Village

Director: Stuart Rosenberg

Stars: Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke, Daryl Hannah

Premise: Two cousins unknowingly rob the mob and face the dangerous consequences.

Best of the Best

Director: Robert Radler

Stars: Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones, Sally Kirkland

Premise: A team from the United States is going to compete against Korea in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. The team consists of fighters from all over the country--can they overcome their rivalry and work together to win?

Members:
@europe1
@MusterX
@Scott Parker 27
@the muntjac
@Cubo de Sangre
@sickc0d3r
@chickenluver
@FrontNakedChoke
@AndersonsFoot
@Tufts
@Coolthulu
@Yotsuya
@jei
@LHWBelt
@PommyBen
@Deus Ex Machina
@ArtemV
@Bullitt68

Coolthulu's Top Theme for this Week is "Top 5 Mark Wahlberg performances/freak outs"

Did I vote just based on the movie or his hair?

giphy.gif

He was secretly a comedic genius in The Happening

He made me believe in fitness in Pain & Gain

He's a goddamn peacock and you gotta let him fly. Without hesitation. Without a doubt. There is no other way.

Profanely marvelous stuff

He was born to be a star in Boogie Nights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrxX5I5q8Ew

<Oku03>

It woulda been more coherent to make it a Wahlberg week with an Eric Roberts top five!

giphy.gif

Eric Roberts...man. Who knew the club would be around long enough that he'd be the topic of picks. I love it.

And my top five Marky Mark performances/freakouts?

1) The Departed, easy
2) Pain and Gain, while the movie was ridiculous his performance was top notch
3) The Other Guys, playing the straight man but still really funny served him well, he does a great incredulous face
4) Boogie Nights, probably a staple for everyone else's top five too
5) Ted, because I feel like that's what he'd most likely be like in real life

Honorable Mentions:

Rock Star, because I rented it from my grocery store back when it came out when I was in high school, super underrated but made for rockers/metalheads like me.
The Fighter, because it's one of the best boxing movies ever made, no joke, despite a few historical inaccuracies changed for dramatic effect. I'd put it easily in my top five boxing movies, with Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby, On the Waterfront (although more of a crime drama really), and of course Rocky IV. And yes, Raging Bull is not in my top five boxing movie list, I know, come get some.

You and i think alike. I like your walhber picks although I'd maybe throw in four brothers. I like your boxing picks as well, Cinderella man is my favorite boxing movie and i thought raging bull was completely overrated and frankly not even good.

Shooter is TOP-3 blockbuster actioner of this millennium for me.

Pain & Gain was a marvelous experience. Bay was just the right man to direct that. I bet he feels deep down that his life could have gone the same way in different circumstances.

The Gambler remake is the worst Wahlberg movie in my books. Damn that was lame. Especially as it It came after Pain & Gain.

Departed was a huge disappointment after Infernal Affairs, but maybe that was because I could not stand Di Caprio - Scorsese collaborations. I have no beef against Wahlberg in that movie.

I think I need to watch Other Guys and Broken City.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Hmm...Wahlberg movies...

Uh...

-Boogie Nights
1242990329_dirk_diggler_is_brock_landers.gif

-Ted
CgAfyEs.gif

-The Fighter
giphy.gif

-Rock Star
200.gif

-Fear
giphy.gif

I like that it's inspired by Tim "Ripper" Owens. Also, there's a beardless Zakk Wylde in the film. Say what?

@europe1, the suspense is killing me. Can I cue up the Sinatra and celebrate the winner?

beguiled me with his awesome theme of the week, plus absurd compliments like "you seem reasonable",

He told me the exact same thing. Standard psychological manipulation to make people do what you want. Obvious psychopath is obvious.

And yes, Raging Bull is not in my top five boxing movie list, I know, come get some.

thought raging bull was completely overrated and frankly not even good.

giphy.gif

Departed was a huge disappointment after Infernal Affairs,

Not sure which I like more, I think Departed. Plays it more for tension than the drama of the original.

@europe1, the suspense is killing me.

giphy.gif

Can I cue up the Sinatra and celebrate the winner?

One of these days I am going to rig the poll so that High Society wins just to turn your love for that man into pure hatred.

Last edited:
I had never heard of this film before taking part in this poll, lol. Let's go... I hope it is good!

tumblr_ode8njFEZw1qmob6ro1_500.gif

This isn't even my week but you wouldn't know it from how stoked I am. I fucking love The Pope of Greenwich Village. I've got it cued up in Netflix already. I damn near watched it last night and I still haven't even watched this week's double-header :D

tumblr_ode8njFEZw1qmob6ro1_500.gif

This isn't even my week but you wouldn't know it from how stoked I am. I fucking love The Pope of Greenwich Village. I've got it cued up in Netflix already. I damn near watched it last night and I still haven't even watched this week's double-header :D

Get to it Dr. Slacker! Homework was due yesterday!

giphy.gif

Back