• Theme 3: How to Beat the High Cost of Living / 9 to 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.
Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

2f3urq.jpg

Special event week for the second time in a row, everybody!

Hey, does anyone remember that one time when Cubo De Sangre said that he wanted to do a Double-Feature week and asked if everyone was cool with it? Using the Cool / Not Cool system of counting, no one objected. Well... the Pingwin has finally come to collect.

Yes, people. We've finally entered the Cubo-zone. I'm scared too.

The Pingwin speaks!

Since it took me two weeks to get my turn this time, I'm gonna make you sucka's watch two flicks. So there. :p

Theme 1: Words & Music

There's lots of great songs in cinema. Some are made specifically for the films and some are merely selected from the pantheon of music. Few though are "performed" in the movie. And the fewest of the few are those created for a movie about a fictitious band that needs original material to perform in the film. Enter John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band Eddie Wilson. I submit to thee the greatest of those few few.

Eddie and the Cruisers

Director: Martin Davidson

Premise: A television newswoman picks up the story of a 1960s rock band whose long-lost leader - Eddie Wilson - may still be alive, while searching for the missing tapes of the band's never-released album.

Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!

Director: Jean-Claude Lord

Premise: A Montreal construction worker joins a band and turns out to be a long-lost rock star from 1960s New Jersey - none other than Eddie Wilson, who mysteriously disappeared after a road accident.

Theme 2: Fucking with the system (from boys to men)

Who doesn't harbor some hatred for the man? Somebody else's rules keeping us chained & imprisoned. I say fuck that! Fight the fuckin' system! And what better way to do that than from the safety of our couches?

Over the Edge

Directed by: Jonathan Kaplan

Premise: A group of bored teenagers rebel against authority in the community of New Granada after the death of one of their own.

Convoy

Directed by: Sam Peckinpah

Premise: Truckers form a mile long "convoy" in support of a trucker's vendetta with an abusive sheriff...Based on the country song of same title by C.W. McCall.

[/QUOTE]

Theme 3: Bitches be bad (old-school style).

Well before this current trend in cinema where we see more women in roles generally associated with men, the year 1980 provided a glimpse of girl power with these two films. Who doesn't enjoy watching the ladies make the world a better place by robbing & kidnapping?

How to Beat the High Cost of Living

Director: Robert Scheerer

Premise: Oregon, 1980: Jane, Elaine, and Louise are all feeling the effects of inflation and cannot afford, as the title states, the high cost of living. The local mall is having a contest that features a giant money ball that states it will help fight the inflation. Elaine comes up with a plan to steal the money out of it and split it three ways with Jane and Louise. Of course, one catastrophe after another tries to keep them from achieving their goal.

9 to 5

Director: Colin Higgins

Premise: Three female employees of a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot find a way to turn the tables on him.

Theme 4: War Reporting

God bless the First Amendment and those with the balls fighting to expose the truth. Two great actors in two of their best roles. One bringing it from a dramatic angle and the other more comedic, but equaly impactful. Since most of you losers didn't vote for Garp, I'm giving you another chance to show Mork some love. You're welcome. Woods, he don't care. He's busy snortin' coke, banging some young thing, and pissing off half of the twitter-sphere.

Salvador

Director: Oliver Stone

Premise: An American photojournalist gets caught in a political struggle at El Salvador in 1980.

Good Morning, Vietnam

Director: Barry Levinson

Premise: In 1965, an unorthodox and irreverent DJ named Adrian Cronauer begins to shake up things when he is assigned to the U.S. Armed Services radio station in Vietnam.

And yes, you must watch in the order given. Because I said so. :cool:

List of the week is your top 5 songs that share the same name as the movie they're in.

And for good measure, here's a non-cinematic selection to capture much of the overall tone for the week.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @PommyBen @Deus Ex Machina @ArtemV @Bullitt68

Last edited:
Truly, Cubo is the Sultan of Madness...

Just to reiterate the club rules, there are no compulsions in here. If you feel like (or only have time for) watching one movie and discussing that, then that's no problem too.;)

First.

That was actually tough to pick. Some of these look awful and the possibility of having to watch them fills me with dread; if my picks win, on the other hand, I'll be genuinely interested to watch and discuss them.

tenor.gif

Truly, Cubo is the Sultan of Madness...

Just to reiterate the club rules, there are no compulsions in here. If you feel like (or only have time for) watching one movie and discussing that, then that's no problem too.;)

Those who skipped last week should have to watch both to make it up this week. :D

Also, check your PM's for the edit.

This was a very easy choice for me, i dont really like the idea of going to 2 movies but hey, its not my rules. There was certainly one pick that lept out even though i had never heard of it and i'm actually really looking forward to seeing them.

As for your list...thats tough, but just to get the conversation started i'll throw out roxanne by the police

This was a very easy choice for me, i dont really like the idea of going to 2 movies but hey, its not my rules. There was certainly one pick that lept out even though i had never heard of it and i'm actually really looking forward to seeing them.

As for your list...thats tough, but just to get the conversation started i'll throw out roxanne by the police

Was that in the Steve Martin movie? What a fun movie that was.

I feel bad, but I have only seen and heard of one of these films: Good Morning Vietnam...

So I pick this

Top 5 list:
  • See the OP.

Whoa. Forgot about the Top Theme. I'm not 100% sure whether we're listing songs that just so happen to share titles with movies or if the lists have to be title songs explicitly made for the movies in question. The following list is based on the assumption that @Cubo de Sangre meant the latter, mainly because that seems more likely and because it's much harder and I was up for a challenge:

1) Against All Odds - Phil Collins

No, that's not a typo. Genesis/Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins is virtually all that I listen to. Not a great movie (lame version of Out of the Past, which is itself a slightly overrated film noir) but a characteristically awesome offering from the characteristically awesome Phil Collins.

2) Singin' in the Rain - Gene Kelly

I mentioned that I was a huge classic film fan. Well, this one's a no-brainer for any classic film fan.

3) Yankee Doodle Dandy - James Cagney

See above.

4) Men in Black - Will Smith

Not exactly a Will Smith fan, and I'm even less of a fan of Will Smith the rapper than I am of Will Smith the actor, but damn it if this isn't a catchy ass song that I always end up singing after I rewatch Men in Black.

5) Footloose - Kenny Loggins

I prefer "I'm Free" from Loggins, but this list just wouldn't have seemed right without "Footloose."

Whoa. Forgot about the Top Theme. I'm not 100% sure whether we're listing songs that just so happen to share titles with movies or if the lists have to be title songs explicitly made for the movies in question. The following list is based on the assumption that @Cubo de Sangre meant the latter, mainly because that seems more likely and because it's much harder and I was up for a challenge:

"...top 5 songs that share the same name as the movie they're in."

The idea is that the song is in a movie it shares the same title with. As you can see though, I already cheated on my list. :cool:

You're clearly operating under the misapprehension that people with PhDs are capable of making sense of written text.

giphy.gif

That was a difficult choice, but I went with one that has a movie I've already seen, just so I can thwart cubo's plan to force me to watch two movies :cool:

Yesus man, whenever you grasshoppers start talking about music my reaction is always like:

Marty-McFly-Confused-In-Back-To-The-Future-Gif.gif

This really isn't a Top 5. More like a "Top 5 Songs that I know exist". As usual, whenever a crocodile asks me about noise, I instantly go to my stalwart buddy Ennio Morricone for assistance, since he is undoubtedly the GOAT among his peers. This truth I hold to be universal and self-evident in it's nature.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly -- Morricone

For a Few Dollars More -- Morricone

Django -- Luis Bacalov (was originally going to do Morricone's Svolta Definitiva but D'oh that isn't the title of the actual film:mad:)

Blue Velvet is a movie that exists! -- Bobby Vinton

They Call Me Trinity -- Franco Micalizzi (was originally going to go for The Big Gundown's theme but apparently that doesn't share name with its film either.

4 out of 5 are Spaghetti Westerns... that's all I know, alright!?

Was that in the Steve Martin movie? What a fun movie that was.

I'm 90% sure it was

The idea is that the song is in a movie it shares the same title with. As you can see though, I already cheated on my list. :cool:

Yeah, this would have been so much easier if it was just shared titles...that said i'm still not 100% sure if my choice of roxanne was actually in the movie....

Maybe we should have a thread for best song with a movie title that wasnt actually anything to do with the movie?

Back