Sherdog Movie Club — End (Rebooted!?)

Glad that we're still friends even after what I said about Blue is the Warmest Colour.:D

Although really I care much less about agreement with my taste than I do decent discussion and there just didnt seem to be much appetite for that anymore.

Honestly I think the issue really is that 2-3 years ago there was a pretty obvious spilt between the previous discussion based group and newer members who the desired to relax watching something and post casuals reactions. The fact the former existed at all on a karate forum is one of the more surprising things I'v seen on the net, I'd probably have stopped posting on Sherdog years ago otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we'll keep it weekly for now and see how new membership adapts. So yeah, each week everyone who participated the previous week will have a dog in the race. The downside is nobody is guaranteed to have a movie viewed, but I see that as incentive to nominate more appealing films.

I see you're not on the membership list. You wanna give this new format a go?
It also means we're sort of more likely to watch the same kinds of, or at least whatever is most similar to the majority's "tastes" in, movies week to week. That's probably good on an overall enjoyment level, bad on the being exposed to different things level. I'm good with that, just pointing it out.

It also means we're sort of more likely to watch the same kinds of, or at least whatever is most similar to the majority's "tastes" in, movies week to week. That's probably good on an overall enjoyment level, bad on the being exposed to different things level. I'm good with that, just pointing it out.

You're right, and there's no perfect way of doing things. After mulling it over, I felt it better to err on the side of entertainment rather than education.

When the club was peeking a few years ago it was (imho) because we had a core group of 8-10 dudes who all enjoyed similar stuff. So most of us found the selections regularly enjoyable. Seemed like somewhere that changed and participation dwindled. I know there were weeks where I didn't want to watch anything someone nominated, and I'm sure some felt that way about my weeks. Now I'm hoping that whatever we pick has somewhat broad appeal to the club.

Also, with people being able to change their votes it allows for someone to lobby the group as to why their choice is worth everyone's time. If we trust someone has good taste then we're more inclined to step outside our comfort zones.

You're right, and there's no perfect way of doing things. After mulling it over, I felt it better to err on the side of entertainment rather than education.

When the club was peeking a few years ago it was (imho) because we had a core group of 8-10 dudes who all enjoyed similar stuff. So most of us found the selections regularly enjoyable. Seemed like somewhere that changed and participation dwindled. I know there were weeks where I didn't want to watch anything someone nominated, and I'm sure some felt that way about my weeks. Now I'm hoping that whatever we pick has somewhat broad appeal to the club.

Also, with people being able to change their votes it allows for someone to lobby the group as to why their choice is worth everyone's time. If we trust someone has good taste then we're more inclined to step outside our comfort zones.

Honestly unless those members return I don't see format changes doing much to help, the kind of casual viewing culture of mainstream(ish) cinema I just don't see the point of this group for, it could exist perfectly well in normal threads in the Mayberry.

It is a shame really as I felt the discussion here was some of the best I'v seen, maybe not the very best informed(including myself) but lacking in the cuntish cliquey arrogance of say the Criterion forum.

Does the Mayberry also have mass reporting groups that organize on discord?

Honestly unless those members return I don't see format changes doing much to help, the kind of casual viewing culture of mainstream(ish) cinema I just don't see the point of this group for, it could exist perfectly well in normal threads in the Mayberry.

It is a shame really as I felt the discussion here was some of the best I'v seen, much better than say the Criterion form thats full of posturing egostical cunts for the most part.

Don't know what you think "mainstream(ish)" is. There's more movies out there than ever before, and more coming every day. The vast majority never get a theatrical run or large advertising push. I think we can find new stuff for each other to watch without having to sit through boat anchors filmed with go-pros, or a guy taking five minutes to get out bed.

Whether the changes hold enough appeal to make this club worth the effort remains to be seen. But to me it's worth a shot and nobody who feels differently has to join or even read the threads.

I don't think I have the time or the energy to take this club through another cycle [...] But at 5 years and 268 weeks, it's been a pretty good run!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

200w.gif

ExhaustedWeightyBobcat-size_restricted.gif

As a sporadic, on-and-off member, I have no idea how many weeks I was a member versus how many I wasn't, but from day one I've loved reading these threads and following along even if just as a lurker. I also always appreciated the hospitality of the members, allowing me to chime in every once in a while even as a non-member. The SMC has a place right next to the SMD as one of the best Sherdog institutions as far as I'm concerned, and you did a great job at the helm, sir.

Aren't you... aren't you *still* supposed to respond to Bullitt's Steven Segal week, Henry?;)

tumblr_lubr8i7nSK1qmje5a.gif

I'll give @HenryFlower the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's in a coma but that one day I'll get a notification and I'll know:

DisastrousFlamboyantGossamerwingedbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

I'm leaning towards every week being where all the qualifying members can nominate a film (like the current battle royale format). The downside is we all aren't guaranteed of regularly having our movies be the viewing pleasure of the week. The upside is I believe this will increase the quality of films and level of interest across the the entire membership each week.
I'm ok with Battle Royale format....any thoughts on a weekly theme?
My initial reaction to themes is to avoid limiting the options that people want to put forth. That's an interesting idea though so if there's support we can do it. But then who comes up with the themes?

As a non-member, just to throw in my two cents: I think that the Battle Royale format is a great idea. It should definitely make it more fun for members, as they'll have skin in the game every single round. To the downside of there not being any guarantees that the nominations of individual members will get selected, themes could mitigate that. You could set it up to where the specific nominations are Battle Royale style but each round rotates which member picks the theme. That way, even if some members rarely if ever get to enjoy having their nominated films selected, every member will at least get to enjoy picking a theme. It'd make more work for you, as you'd probably be wise to make it so that the same theme can't be selected until a certain number of weeks go by, which means you'd have to keep a running log of themes, but you'd be able to avoid having three sci-fi weeks in a row; or two months where 6 out of the 8 weeks were crime movies; or, knowing the people who frequent this group, a month straight of Nicholas Cage movies :confused:

As a non-member, just to throw in my two cents: I think that the Battle Royale format is a great idea. It should definitely make it more fun for members, as they'll have skin in the game every single round. To the downside of there not being any guarantees that the nominations of individual members will get selected, themes could mitigate that. You could set it up to where the specific nominations are Battle Royale style but each round rotates which member picks the theme. That way, even if some members rarely if ever get to enjoy having their nominated films selected, every member will at least get to enjoy picking a theme. It'd make more work for you, as you'd probably be wise to make it so that the same theme can't be selected until a certain number of weeks go by, which means you'd have to keep a running log of themes, but you'd be able to avoid having three sci-fi weeks in a row; or two months where 6 out of the 8 weeks were crime movies; or, knowing the people who frequent this group, a month straight of Nicholas Cage movies :confused:

Thanks, bro. Of course your input is always appreciated.

That's a great idea on how to incorporate themes. One I'll likely implement if it feels like people are getting shut out and becoming frustrated. Since this is a fresh start of sorts, I'm thinking we should walk before we run. Another idea on the back burner is that if your film wins then you don't get to nominate in the next round of submissions. Just to help spread that wealth.

By the way, that screenplay idea I sent you the power point outline of got a first draft. Didn't do a second since I couldn't get anybody to provide constructive criticism. It was either that intense or that shitty. :eek::oops: But I technically wrote the thing so at the very least it checks "screenplay" off my bucket list. :cool:

You know you can join right now and send submissions for the first two weeks before you get booted for inactivity. :D

Hope all has been well with you.

My initial reaction to themes is to avoid limiting the options that people want to put forth. That's an interesting idea though so if there's support we can do it. But then who comes up with the themes?
We could take turns. But I also see how that could be limiting.... Let me think on it....

Hi friend!

It'll be more fun is @MusterX sticks around.

My problem is the same as @europe1 , I've been around since week 1, that's 5 years of doing this every week. I'm also not a fan of the royal rumble format, which I could get past, maybe, but then you also want to destroy that the old club ever even existed, change the name, reset the movie list, etc.

Even if I could get by all that, I'm still fatigued. Like @europe1 though, I'm a fickle bitch and I still love movies so I don't know at this point.

I can give you a strong maybe today.

Back