Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Fighter of the Year

Michael Bisping, Middleweight Champion

bisping.jpg

Fights in 2016:
UFC Fight Night Silva vs Bisping - Defeated Anderson Silva by Unanimous Decision, FOTN Bonus
bisping-rocks-silva-rd-1-alt-view.gif
UFC 199 - Defeated (C) Luke Rockhold by KO (Punches) in 3:36 of Round 1, POTN Bonus, Wins MW Title
ULqAHLw.gif
UFC 204 - Defeated #13 Dan Henderson by Unanimous Decision, FOTN Bonus, Defends MW Title
bisping-feint-kick-bait-head-kick-comp.gif

Donald Cerrone, #5 Ranked Welterweight and #10 Ranked Lightweight
cowboy.jpg

Fights in 2016:
UFC Fight Night Cowboy vs Cowboy - Defeated Alex Oliveira by Submission (Triangle Choke) in 2:33 of Round 1, POTN Bonus
2jk460j.jpg
UFC Fight Night MacDonald vs Thompson - Defeated Patrick Cote by TKO (Punches) in 2:35 of Round 3, POTN Bonus
tumblr_o90khiHgpE1qa33wlo9_500.gif
UFC 202 - Defeated #9 Rick Story by TKO (Head Kick and Punches) in 2:02 of Round 2, POTN Bonus
giphy.gif
UFC 206 - Defeated #14 Matt Brown by KO (Head Kick) in at UFC 206 on December 10, 2016
2016-12-11t053512z-1758932853-nocid-rtrmadp-3-mma-ufc-206-cerrone-vs-brown.jpg

Dominick Cruz, Bantamweight Champion

cruz.JPG

Fights in 2016:
UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs Cruz - Defeated (C) T.J. Dillashaw by Split Decision, FOTN Bonus, Wins BW Title
BitterWetGreatdane.gif
UFC 199 - Defeated #3 Urijah Faber by Unanimous Decision, Defends BW Title
ufc-199-highlights-watch-dominick-cruz-s-mastery-over-urijah-faber-1004271.gif
Scheduled to face #5 Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 on December 30, 2016, to defend BW Title
maxresdefault.jpg

Conor McGregor, Lightweight Champion
mcgregor.jpg

Fights in 2016:
UFC 196 - Lost to #5 LW Nate Diaz by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in 4:12 of Round 2, FOTN Bonus
giphy.gif
UFC 202 - Defeated Nate Diaz by Majority Decision, FOTN Bonus
conor-disrupts-jab-bypasses-left-hook.gif
UFC 205 - Defeated (C) LW Eddie Alvarez by TKO (Punches) in 3:04 of Round 2, Wins LW Title, Holds LW and FW Belts Simultaneously, POTN Bonus
Mcgregor-kd-alvarez.gif

Stipe Miocic, Heavyweight Champion

miocic.jpg

Fights in 2016:
UFC 195 - Defeated #2 Andrei Arlovski by TKO (Punches) in 0:54 of Round 1, POTN Bonus
tumblr_o0d0y7klL71rofocqo1_r1_500.gif
UFC 198 - Defeated (C) Fabricio Werdum by KO (Punch) in 2:47 of Round 1, POTN Bonus, Wins HW Title
IYB6XVb.gif
UFC 203 - Defeated #3 Alistair Overeem by KO (Punches) in 4:27 of Round 1, FOTN Bonus, Defends HW Title
20160910094445_GettyImages602257930.JPG

My FOTY ranks based on these choices:

Stipe
Cowboy
Conor
Cruz
Bisping

Stipe - For defending his belt against legit contenders. I like Cruz too but Stipe's strength of schedule is better.

Bisping has had a great year for himself, but had atrocious performances against Anderson and Hendo.

Last edited:
Eternal gatekeeper got to KO the reigning MW champ in their rematch, sort of avenged his most devastating loss against Hendo.

Cowboy is on a POTN bonus tear at WW, 206 was well deserving of another one, but i guess he made the bosses mad at him with the fighter asociation stuff.

Conor.... 1 loss, 1 Majority Decision win, 1 devastating win for the LW belt (gifted title shot), if you include the "two division champ" thing its gotta be him, but other than that, his year is not that impressive, it doesnt make sense that a guy that was 1-1 against the same guy fights for the belt next in the first place.

Why Conor nominated? He lost. How can you be fighter of the year if you lost a fight? Bisping accomplished the most this year inside the Octagon.

Werdum 6 fight winning streak
Overeem 4 fight winning streak
Arlovski 6 fight winning streak

Miocic KOs them all in the first round.

Stipe killed 3 top HW's in about 6 minutes combined, won a title and successfully defended it with a KO against the number #1 contender.

Bisping arguably lost to both Silva and Hendo who were both way past their primes and unranked when he fought them, and no one really believes he's better than Luke lol. Also Conor, fucken lost to Nate like 8 months ago, and arguably again this summer, wtf is he doing on the list?

There can ONLY be one...

2716751.main_image.jpg

From beating Silva

usa-today-9143620.0.jpg

To knocking out Rockhold,winning the belt and all on as a short notice replacement.

First British champion,left hook Larry!

maxresdefault.jpg

Emotional after years of trying.

e25f8050272c91d99c92548a7be470c7

Also defended his belt.

Feckin legend.

UFC-199-Post-Fight-Press-Conference-highlights_593693_OpenGraphImage.jpg

Oh,and Miocic also had a good year.

Conor and it ain't even close!

Cowboy gets in for beating fighters in the 9-30 bracket? He's really extending himself...

Stephen Thompson has had a pretty damn impressive year too

Michael Bisping.

10 years in UFC. First tilte shot on two weeks notice. 1st rd ko on Rockhold. And all of this with only one eye!

Can you PLEASE stop these threads until the year is over? What if Cody Garbrandt beats Cruz, and he's suddenly 4-0 with winning the belt? What if Amanda Nunes beats Ronda Rousey, and she's 3-0 with beating 2 champs and #1 contender?

I can't stand Bisping but voted for him, hard to argue with beating two legends of the sport and winning the MW belt. Fighting Henderson was obviously a ridiculous choice for his first defense, but he avenged the most embarrassing loss of his career. Stipe was a close second for me, he also beat three heavyweight greats and won a title, I just went with Bisping because he finally had a breakout year after so many years in the sport.

Voted for Bisping. Feel good moment and story of the year. Incredible that he pulled it off, albeit by the skin of his teeth.

Stipe would be a close second for me, followed by Cruz. Both have claims and Stipe probably had the best year purely in the cage. I'm giving Bisping bonus points for that immortal night. It was bigger than just winning a title.

Cowboy is great to watch and it's impressive that he's looked so good at WW, but his SoS isn't high enough to crack that top 3.

I love Conor, but he lost this year. Great second half of the year, obviously.

These guys have all had a hell of a year'!! Sucks to only be able to choose one.

They would all have won this in previous years.

Chose Conor of course but not mad at Bisping as the winner. Stipe deserves more votes too.

Cowboy had another insane year. Interested to see if he can turn it into gold next year.

C'mon.... Bisping got his ass kicked winning 2 of 3 fights.

Conor McTapper got choked out by Nate.

Cowboy isnt defending anything.

Cruz is worthy.

Then there's Stipe Miocic, knocking out Werdum in Brazil and then breaking the title defence curse at home in Cleveland against Overeem like a boss.

What about Woodley? He finished Lawler and even though it was scored a draw, i thought he beat Wonderboy as well. I think he deserves to be on the list over Cerrone to be honest. I like Cerrone but he didn't beat any top fighters this year. Wonderboy probably deserves to be on the list also.

Back