***Sherdog Exclusive***Top 3 Performance Supplements, by David Barr

Great question, unfortunately we don't know the answer.

CLT is pretty cheap and all of the recent testosterone/performance enhancing research has been done on it specifically, so I wouldn't both with any other.

Would it be possible to get some info on these recent studies?

I found this, from 2003 though:

The effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementat...[J Strength Cond Res. 2003] - PubMed Result

The purpose of this investigation was to examine the influence of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation using a balanced, cross-over, placebo-controlled research design on the anabolic hormone response (i.e., testosterone [T], insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 [IGFBP-3], and immunofunctional and immunoreactive growth hormone [GHif and GHir]) to acute resistance exercise. Ten healthy, recreationally weight-trained men (mean +/- SD age 23.7 +/- 2.3 years, weight 78.7 +/- 8.5 kg, and height 179.2 +/- 4.6 cm) volunteered and were matched, and after 3 weeks of supplementation (2 g LCLT per day), fasting morning blood samples were obtained on six consecutive days (D1-D6). Subjects performed a squat protocol (5 sets of 15-20 repetitions) on D2. During the squat protocol, blood samples were obtained before exercise and 0, 15, 30, 120, and 180 minutes postexercise. After a 1-week washout period, subjects consumed the other supplement for a 3-week period, and the same experimental protocol was repeated using the exact same procedures. Expected exercise-induced increases in all of the hormones were observed for GHir, GHif, IGFBP-3, and T. Over the recovery period, LCLT reduced the amount of exercise-induced muscle tissue damage, which was assessed via magnetic resonance imaging scans of the thigh. LCLT supplementation significantly (p < 0.05) increased IGFBP-3 concentrations prior to and at 30, 120, and 180 minutes after acute exercise. No other direct effects of LCLT supplementation were observed on the absolute concentrations of the hormones examined, but with more undamaged tissue, a greater number of intact receptors would be available for hormonal interactions. These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of BA use in grappling competition?

I'm considering starting now to prepare for a comp in about 3 weeks.

Thanks to both you guys!

I'm also surprised to see carnitine on there, but I'm also intrigued to hear more.

I found this, from 2003 though:

The effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementat...[J Strength Cond Res. 2003] - PubMed Result

The purpose of this investigation was to examine the influence of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation using a balanced, cross-over, placebo-controlled research design on the anabolic hormone response (i.e., testosterone [T], insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 [IGFBP-3], and immunofunctional and immunoreactive growth hormone [GHif and GHir]) to acute resistance exercise. Ten healthy, recreationally weight-trained men (mean +/- SD age 23.7 +/- 2.3 years, weight 78.7 +/- 8.5 kg, and height 179.2 +/- 4.6 cm) volunteered and were matched, and after 3 weeks of supplementation (2 g LCLT per day), fasting morning blood samples were obtained on six consecutive days (D1-D6). Subjects performed a squat protocol (5 sets of 15-20 repetitions) on D2. During the squat protocol, blood samples were obtained before exercise and 0, 15, 30, 120, and 180 minutes postexercise. After a 1-week washout period, subjects consumed the other supplement for a 3-week period, and the same experimental protocol was repeated using the exact same procedures. Expected exercise-induced increases in all of the hormones were observed for GHir, GHif, IGFBP-3, and T. Over the recovery period, LCLT reduced the amount of exercise-induced muscle tissue damage, which was assessed via magnetic resonance imaging scans of the thigh. LCLT supplementation significantly (p < 0.05) increased IGFBP-3 concentrations prior to and at 30, 120, and 180 minutes after acute exercise. No other direct effects of LCLT supplementation were observed on the absolute concentrations of the hormones examined, but with more undamaged tissue, a greater number of intact receptors would be available for hormonal interactions. These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.

Well, looks like something new to add to my shopping cart.

Where are you guys finding tartrate products? All I can find is l-carnitine.

I found some Source Naturals brand pills, but perhaps some of you deal hunters can dig up the best buy.

Suprised i didnt hear Branch Chained Amino Acids and Essential Amino Acids. I guess this is a sports website more then a muscle. building one. But more effective or as effective pending on the person and usage is bcaa's and eaa's. bcaa's directly promote you to being anabolic. Diffrent then how creatine may support it.

Bcaa's are great when used with food, and during the right peak times.

I've never taken EAAs, but I saw 0 results from BCAAs.

We had a thread about this awhile ago. They have a ton of positive research, but not many of us actually saw significant results.

I've never taken EAAs, but I saw 0 results from BCAAs.

We had a thread about this awhile ago. They have a ton of positive research, but not many of us actually saw significant results.

Mehhh, some people look for results that won't happen. Not to mention is helps with processes that you can not "feel". I still stick with mine:icon_chee

Ya, it's just one of those things you're not going to directly notice but it still helps anyway. I've never noticed anything from taking fish oil but the thousands of health reasons proven by science tells me that I'm an idiot if I don't use it. Not quite the same as BCAA's and EAA's but the underlying point is still there.

i think he is wrong. i dont know if this counts as a supplement BUT my top 3 are whey-protein, multi-vitamin and flaxseed oil. you will get more out of those than any other combo.

Suprised i didnt hear Branch Chained Amino Acids and Essential Amino Acids. I guess this is a sports website more then a muscle. building one. But more effective or as effective pending on the person and usage is bcaa's and eaa's. bcaa's directly promote you to being anabolic. Diffrent then how creatine may support it.

Bcaa's are great when used with food, and during the right peak times.

In spite of all the hype surrounding BCAA's, they're still enigmatic. No one seems to agree on how to use them. As someone who has specifically studied the impact of amino acids on muscle growth and recovery, I still see a few options for optimal use. As more client data come in I'll be better able to refine my suggestions.

You're also correct in that I was focusing on performance in this article as opposed to exclusive repair and recovery.

Lastly, I'll be adding an article about optimal use of EAA's/Whey hydrolysate as Protein Pulse Feeding in the not-too-distant future.

i think he is wrong. i dont know if this counts as a supplement BUT my top 3 are whey-protein, multi-vitamin and flaxseed oil. you will get more out of those than any other combo.

Read the title of the article.

Does whey affect performance?
Does a multi affect performance?
Does flaxseed oil affect performance?

I honestly don't know how you can justify those affecting athletic performance more than what was listed in the article. Neither whey nor EFAs are considered ergogenics, and only certain vitamins even fit that category.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of BA use in grappling competition?

I'm considering starting now to prepare for a comp in about 3 weeks.

Quoting myself so people can answer me :(

Anyone who grapples have any recommendations on whether to take BA or not?

Thanks.

Back