***Sherdog Exclusive***Top 3 Performance Supplements, by David Barr

I just figured carnitine, which also receives tons of hype, would fall into the same category.

People initially thought of it as a fat burner because of it's role in transporting fat cells to mitochondria to be burned for energy, but it's never once panned-out in clinical trials, even when used intravenously. David seems to have a stance on it like I have on arginine. It doesn't do what's advertised, but that doesn't mean it's not healthful to take and doesn't have other applications.

It's great to see that the discussion has grown so quickly!

As for Carnitine-L-Tartrate (CLT) I have literature reviews pending on another site, but they're taking forever to get published.

My guess is that CLT isn't widely publicized yet because companies don't have any CLT-containing products to sell. Yet.

[The dreaded double post! I have to say something cool so that no one will notice (must think quickly!)]

If the other CLT articles aren't published soon I'll do a quick write up for SherDog.
I know we don't have to wait long when MikeM is on the job!

Definitely looking forward to more David Barr awesomeness. Gotta check out your site when I get a little time, aswell.

Thanks, Dave. I know jack shit about Carnitine, I guess I should change that.

Interesting topic.

Is L-Carnitine Tartrate the same as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate? I saw both written as ingredients.

Sucks to be you Mike, apparently you can't import it into Canadia.

(And me when I go home)

Sucks to be you Mike, apparently you can't import it into Canadia.

(And me when I go home)

I was going to try and sneak some through with a TP or BN order and see if Customs actually snagged it.

Nice article, thanks to both MM and Senor Barr.

I went on vacation in China for a few weeks. That should explain 1 and 3! I was rockin' the Aussie War Wagon av, but I need a new one now that Brad's fight is done.

Mike, any way we could get together a sticky of these topics similar to what the S&P has for Wassung's best posts?

Either as an addendum to the FAQ or just one thread with all of these? Maybe we need to wait for a few more, but the first two I've seen have been great. Thanks, David.

What about the bioavailability of plain L-carnitine? Insufficient?

Mike, any way we could get together a sticky of these topics similar to what the S&P has for Wassung's best posts?

Either as an addendum to the FAQ or just one thread with all of these? Maybe we need to wait for a few more, but the first two I've seen have been great. Thanks, David.

I'm going to put links in the FAQ, and I will eventually sticky these; I want people to see them, and by stickying they end up, well, "stuck" at the top, out of the line-of-sight of the regular threads. For now, the regular bumping keeps them first page.

If David continues to write articles for Sherdog, a Wassung-like sticky could surely be in order.

Lots of things get lost in the stickies and FAQ. Look at how many threads are started here because no one reads them.

Lots of things get lost in the stickies and FAQ. Look at how many threads are started here because no one reads them.

I wouldn't say they are lost, just some people don't read them (or search) before starting a thread. Many people still use them though, you can see from the view count.
Take them away and I'd say this place would be chaotic. :)

Great post. Wow never thought creatin was so potent! Too bad for me the other ones are illegal for me (Norway) :(

Great post. Wow never thought creatin was so potent! Too bad for me the other ones are illegal for me (Norway) :(

Here's the deal: you send me a plethora of tall, blond Norwegian goddesses, and I'll send you supplements.

What about the bioavailability of plain L-carnitine? Insufficient?

Great question, unfortunately we don't know the answer.

CLT is pretty cheap and all of the recent testosterone/performance enhancing research has been done on it specifically, so I wouldn't both with any other.

Back