***Sherdog Exclusive***Top 3 Core Supplements For Combat Athletes, by David Barr

Thanks for the great reports David. I went and purchased Carnitine, beta-alinine, and fish oil as per your recommendations. Ive got a question about the fish oil pills i got though.

The ones I bought are calle MaxEPA and come in 1 g capsules. It says that they are 30% omega-3 fatty acids. The recommended dosage is 1 capsule, twice a day with meals. However, your guide says to take 5-10 daily (which is what I have been doing for about a week now). Why do you suggest taking a significantly higher dosage than what it says on the bottle?

If Dave doesn't mind, I believe I can help you out with this question. The capsules you have are probably the fairly standard 1g fish oil capsules containing 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA (hence the %30 omega-3 content). Taking 10 a day would put you in the range of 3g of combined EPA/DHA, a standard therapeutic recommendation for athletes.

More info can be found in The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation

If Dave doesn't mind, I believe I can help you out with this question. The capsules you have are probably the fairly standard 1g fish oil capsules containing 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA (hence the %30 omega-3 content). Taking 10 a day would put you in the range of 3g of combined EPA/DHA, a standard therapeutic recommendation for athletes.

More info can be found in The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation

Thanks, Mike. 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA is exactly what I have. I am guessing that the recommended dosage on the bottle is for the non-athlete.

Forgive me if this has been asked in a seperate thread or is answered elsewhere..But how beneficial would it be and if so what dosage of potassium should be taken with protien supplements to improve its use by the body ?

edit: this would be estimated dosage per 30g of protein.

Response to my last post:

Age 19 and older: 4.7 g/day

Ref: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Potassium in diet

Thanks for the follow up, ST. I think it's important to stress, though, (before anyone gets any crazy ideas) that dietary sources of K+ are virtually going to eliminate the needs for supplementation. It's not something I've ever looked at from an athletic point of view other than with electrolyte loss, but the implications of hyperkalemia are pretty nasty.

If you've like to pursue this topic, please start a new thread.

Wow, I feel a little out of it right now...but is it necessary to have potassium in your diet to absorb protein?

Wow, I feel a little out of it right now...but is it necessary to have potassium in your diet to absorb protein?

I have no idea, and I've never seen it referenced in any other fashion prior to Street Tactic bringing it up. Unless your running marathons daily and only hydrating with water, I seriously can't see potassium being an issue. Ever. Supplementing with it outside of an electrolyte drink, IMO, is bad news.

I do believe fiber is a highly underrated supplement, but I think there are more nutritive sources than ****mucil.

I typically get at least one big serving of milled flaxseed per day, which is loaded with fiber as well as having other nutritional benefits (even though the Omega-3 content is just ALA).

I have no idea, and I've never seen it referenced in any other fashion prior to Street Tactic bringing it up. Unless your running marathons daily and only hydrating with water, I seriously can't see potassium being an issue. Ever. Supplementing with it outside of an electrolyte drink, IMO, is bad news.

Been doing alot of reading on the subject via web/forums so I've picked up talk about potassium intake in generalities but never with a definitive logic such as grams intake per pound. I do understand overdosage of potassium can cause serious health issues though, but it does however play a role in synthesization of proteins for muscle building ( references also found for protein synthesis in plants ) ie:

Potassium helps in the building of muscle and protein synthesis. Potassium stimulates nerve impulses for muscle contraction.

Ref: Carbs In Bananas Is A Key Factor In Banana Nutrition

But I beleive there's enough potassium in the daily banana & whey protein mix I take to supplement any I might be lacking so I don't think I'll be including any extra vitamins in my routine. Risk v. reward doesn't stack up with this one.

This list is sorely lacking in m3tamucil :p

I use the poor man's m3tamucil:

400003777785_250.jpg

I've noticed that after switching to a higher protein diet and taking a lot more supplements, it seemed harder to take a crap. Is this a normal reaction? In any case, this fake m3tamucil has helped a bit and it's dirt cheap.

So I have been taking Beta Alanine and L-Arginine for the past 1 month. I have noticed I get alot of muscle spasms that I never use to get. Also, I am pushing my muscle to the point of almost tearing on several occasions, maybe lactic acid is a god made to keep this from happening.

I am not impressed, I am not any faster recovering/longer lasting that i can notice. Well my cardio intake is slightly better maybe, but not worth the muscle twitching.

Can someone tell me otherwise or I am going to stop taking this crap.

So I have been taking Beta Alanine and L-Arginine for the past 1 month. I have noticed I get alot of muscle spasms that I never use to get. Also, I am pushing my muscle to the point of almost tearing on several occasions, maybe lactic acid is a god made to keep this from happening.

I am not impressed, I am not any faster recovering/longer lasting that i can notice. Well my cardio intake is slightly better maybe, but not worth the muscle twitching.

Can someone tell me otherwise or I am going to stop taking this crap.

Stop eating treadmills?

Another greens question here - Im looking at some greens supplements that are at or near their expiration date. Only looking at them because I think I can get them real cheap. Is it such a big deal if im taking them a month or so beyond expiration? Thx - Mike

Back