Sherdog, don't forget about this other epic 5 round title fight....

One of my fav fights. People always go on about Pettis/Benson but I loved this one so much more.

Bad decision imo too. Cowboy had that win. I dunno how you win a round fighting off submission attempts the entire round.

Edgar/Maynard 2 is one of those fights that really had tons of drama. I still can't believe Frankie didn't get knocked out after those massive punches he took 1st round. And then when Edgar came out 2nd round after that massive beating to really push the pace on Maynard really made me an Edgar fan.

Arguably came back to win, but I wasn't entirely rustled by the draw either. The rematch proved the better man.

lol at the TS getting uppity about people picking that fight over his.

WEC has proven it had some srs lightweights

I haven't actually seen this fight yet. Ill have to check it out

Arguably came back to win, but I wasn't entirely rustled by the draw either. The rematch proved the better man.

lol at the TS getting uppity about people picking that fight over his.

I'm not upset about it, and I'm also not thinking of Bendo/Cowboy as "my fight" because I made a thread about it...

I've just yet to hear someone say what, exactly, about that fight was exciting for it to be mentioned in the same discussion as the 2 barnburners we're discussing ITT...

I always read that about Edgar's performance vs Maynard: "Edgar pushed the pace"....

Not to take anything away from Edgar, because the kid obviously has tons of heart for surviving that beating...

But to be honest, I really didn't find that fight to be that dramatic, and Edgar's style really made the fight pretty anti-climactic, if you ask me....

He had a few good TDs, but the rest of those 4 rounds was basically him just constantly doing the same 1-2 combo and circling away while his corner yells "AAAAYYYY"...

And then that annoying thing he does where he sprints in just to tap the other guys leg with his foot...

I'm just always puzzled when everyone keeps saying that Edgar "pushed the pace" as if that was a valid reason to let the guy keep his belt.... That 1st round is probably the single most vicious and violent beatings I have ever seen in a single round of MMA, and then the other guy comes out for the rest of the fight with the constant circle-away gameplan, and just doing enough to just MAYBE eke out close rounds for the rest of the fight.... And somehow this warrants scoring the fight a draw?

I don't know... I don't want to hate on Edgar, or hate on that fight.... But I just really don't think it's in the same category with the Jones/Gus fight, or the Bendo/Cowboy fight....

Edgar stung Maynard repeatedly, especially I think in round four where he hurt Maynard a few times. I can't believe after the near fatal beating Edgar suffered in round one you didn't consider round two dramatic...

Back