Sherdog.com's 2019 Comeback Fighter of the Year

Is Stipe Miocic your 2019 Comeback Fighter of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
comeback of the year.png
BY TYLER TREESE
DEC 30, 2019

The past two years of Stipe Miocic’s life couldn’t have ended more differently, and it’s easy to see why he wound up being Sherdog’s 2019 Comeback Fighter of the Year as a result.

His historic run as Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champion came to a shocking end last July when Daniel Cormier knocked out the Ohio native in the very first round of their UFC 226 clash. Miocic was stunned by the defeat and argued for an immediate rematch due to his three prior title defenses, an all-time record in the weight division. However, Cormier’s win was as decisive as a victory could be and the promotion was already angling towards a big pay-per-view payday by propping up former champion and current WWE star Brock Lesnar as the next challenger despite coming off a failed drug test. It looked like Miocic’s days at the top of the division were over, and due in large part to the politics that can make being a combat sports fan so frustrating.

Thankfully for Miocic, nothing is ever a sure deal with Lesnar and the “Beast Incarnate” wound up signing a huge contract extension with WWE instead of giving mixed martial arts one more go. With Lesnar now chasing the WWE Universal Championship rather than UFC gold, this gave Miocic the opportunity to get the title rematch that his past performances had earned. At UFC 241, Miocic proved that he was still one of the sport’s elite fighters, returning the favor and stopping “DC” to reclaim his heavyweight title.

Much like his past two years, the rematch against Cormier was filled with ups and downs. DC was the quicker fighter early on and was able to outbox Miocic with ease. Almost mockingly, Cormier even scooped Miocic up into the air during the first round, held him there for nearly 15 seconds and then finally slammed him down. While he never came close to finishing Miocic in Round 1, Cormier was making a statement and it looked like the Olympian simply had Miocic’s number.

The second round was mostly more of the same, as DC kept battering Miocic with punches. However, slowly but surely, Miocic started to land some significant strikes of his own. Round 3 was when the tide had changed to his favor, as he was able to continue touching Cormier on the feet and even managed to take down the decorated wrestler. The end finally came in Round 4, when Miocic hurt Cormier with a huge body shot and threw an unrelenting barrage of follow-up punches that forced Herb Dean to step in and call an end to the fight. For Miocic, it was more than a title victory, it was redemption.

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Sherdogs-2019-Comeback-Fighter-of-the-Year-168185

So what do you think? I understand why this one makes sense because Miocic went from former champ with a new family to a title fight he was losing to champ again. I had Nicolas Dalby as my own Comeback Fighter of the Year because of what he went through to get back to the UFC, but I have no issues with Stipe because it was a big feat to knock out DC like that.

Sherdog's 2019 Fighter of the Year
Sherdog's 2019 Story of the Year

Sherdog's 2019 Breakthrough Fighter of the Year
Sherdog's 2019 Fight of the Year
Sherdog's 2019 Upset of the Year

This one should be Jorge, probably moreso than breakthrough. He'd lost his last two fights before this year.

You could say Jorge. You could even say Ferguson because of his injuries and troubles with the law and mentally, but I've got no issues with them giving it to Stipe. I was shocked when he finished DC.

Oh and I also like Louis Smolka's comeback from alcoholism to the UFC win column, for similar reasons to you liking Dalby.

I'd probably go with Masvidal. Going into the year, he had lost his last 2 fights, 3-4 in his last 7, didn't fight at all in 2018. 34 years old after a long career in the game. He was on absolutely nobody's radar as a potential star in 2019. Just about everyone thought his best days were behind him and he wasn't much more than a journeyman gatekeeper now. To come back from that and do what he did in 2019 makes him the Comeback Fighter of the Year in my books.

I agree on all except for “Upset of the Year.”

That’s just weird

Depends how we're defining "comeback".

One would assume this implies a fighter who was at one time on top, then fell, then regained that status. Stipe could fit the bill but he sure did a lot of whining....

Jorge doesn't really work under this context because he was never at this level. He didn't come back to it, he just arrived.

Not a lot of candidates to choose from in this area I suppose.

Not sure I'd award a comeback fighter of the year award to a guy that only fought once, and he only lost the one time as well. That's just called HW.

Paul Craig over Kennedy Nzechukwu, to go with his best comeback in 2018 :D

I think a lot of fans will channel hostility on this one for the way stipe went about getting his one and only fight this year.

Why would a career journeyman who won a fake belt win comeback fighter of the year? What is he coming back to again? He never reached miocics level to begin with lol.

I don't see how it's not Masvidal. He went from 0-2 and irrelevant to knocking out two top 5 fighters in devastating, highlight reel fashion, putting a beating on Nate and becoming a legitimate star and top contender.

Todd Duffee came back. I vote him. More hype than Stipe

And swiftly departed again, clutching at his eye. An NC ain't much of a comeback.

Well he came back, but didn't do much for it besides catch a swift poke in the eye.

I don't see how it's not Masvidal. He went from 0-2 and irrelevant to knocking out two top 5 fighters in devastating, highlight reel fashion, putting a beating on Nate and becoming a legitimate star and top contender.
Thats not a comeback though that’s just coming. Jorge has always been a journeyman who lost half of his fights and never stepped on the gas. Only recently the guys put on elite performances.

Thats why he is the breakout fighter of the year.

Back