Sherdog.com publishes "Top 10 Greatest WMMA fighters of all time" list. Do you agree?

Do you agree?

• Total voters
Hmm, let me give it a shot so people can rip me a new one:

Fuji
Joanna
Honda
Cyborg
Tsuji
Watanabe
Coenen
Larosa
Hamasaki

Really, I almost moved Cyborg down one more, because more than half of her victories have come over women a weight class down, and half of those the women fought two weight classes down at least twice. Plus, she tried to cheat on the scale, etc. Strength of schedule for her is shit. Her fourth or fifth best win (depending on how you rank them) is Baszler, who has fought at 125, and we know the general opinion of people with respect to Baszler around her. Then consider than everyone else she has fought is worse than that.

Ronda was a superior grappler in a division full of grapplers. Should she fight Holm again, Nunes or Shevchenko, she is going to eat a lot of leather. She did amazing things for WMMA, but, well, when you strike like Gumby on bath salts, it takes a certain something from your credibility. And this is why I ranked JJ over her, and JJ is undefeated.

I'm not a hardcore WMMA follower, I've never watched Invicta but I've watched everyone on that list fight except Tara LaRosa. I did a quick Fight Finder on her and saw that she lost to Roxanne and Nakai. One poster said that LaRosa should be much higher... Uhm, she's probably way out of her prime but seriously, if you lose to Roxanne and Nakai, doesn't that mean that you probably shouldn't be high up on a list with the TOP 10 OF ALL TIME? I have never seen a worse fighter than Nakai (I haven't watched her Japan fights where she actually won) and Roxanne isn't exactly a world beater.

Another poster said Coenen should be higher up than than Tate. Coenen fights in a weight class above Miesha who herself is small for her weight class. Tate still managed to submit Coenen in Strikeforce. I love Coenen and she should of course be on this list, but I don't quite see why she should be higher ranked.

Cyborg should of course be #1 if we're talking about skills. Joanna might climb the rankings but it feels like the nature of the SW division is quite weak when it comes to powerful wrestlers and grapplers which might be Joanna's antidote. She is ruling the division right now and has great striking but the division is overall weaker than WBW.

I don't see the point in doing these rankings for such a young sport and especially for women. When you look at the list, it's obvious that WMMA is still very weak when some of these aren't particularly skilled.

Tonya Evinge, Kelly Kobold and Elaina Maxwell were much better wins than Julie Kedzie. I would also like to point out that just about every 145'er fought undersized opponents at one point simply because the women's 145 weight class is so shallow (even more so back then).

Yeah, ok, agree that they were better wins. Was just going off the top of my head.

And because 145 is so weak, it is hard considering people from that division as the best, because so many wind up fighting smaller women.

Yeah, ok, agree that they were better wins. Was just going off the top of my head.

And because 145 is so weak, it is hard considering people from that division as the best, because so many wind up fighting smaller women.

This is true. It's also one of the reasons why I don't think Cyborg should be number 1 on that list (the other reason being the steroids). Cyborg should be in the top ten, but not number 1.

At no point is it made clear what the methodology is based on.

But in my mind, Fujii is clearly the most accomplished female MMA fighter ever. Neither Rousey nor Cyborg have the body of work she does.

This is true. It's also one of the reasons why I don't think Cyborg should be number 1 on that list (the other reason being the steroids). Cyborg should be in the top ten, but not number 1.

Don't forget the scale bullshit either. I mean, half the girls she fights are small, uses drugs to get bigger then cheats on the scale for yet another unfair weight advantage.

Then calls other women "protected" and "cowards."

Overall pretty good. 1-3 were spot on though joanna champion could surpass megumi pretty soon due to level of competition.

Coenen and Carano should switch places.

For real. Cyborg has exactly zero UFC accomplishments but ranks ahead of Ronda? GTFO with that shit.

Well, for a long time none of the women had any UFC accomplishments, due to lack of WMMA in UFC. So that should not really be a huge factor here.

Well, for a long time none of the women had any UFC accomplishments, due to lack of WMMA in UFC. So that should not really be a huge factor here.

Shrug I'm alright with it, its not a big deal. If they want to list Cyborg as #1 that alright. I don't agree but yea, I get what you are saying.

Hmm, let me give it a shot so people can rip me a new one:

Fuji
Joanna
Honda
Cyborg
Tsuji
Watanabe
Coenen
Larosa
Hamasaki

decent list, better than the Sherdog one, I'd bump Cyborg down at least one place though and probably axe Watanabe in place of.... someone.
I'd have Tate on the list over Watanabe or Larosa. She's being underrated a lot in this thread.

I'm afraid I'd have to put Ronda on top. Sorry guys. Not my choice. We'll probably be able to do something about that in a year or two though.

Don't forget the scale bullshit either. I mean, half the girls she fights are small, uses drugs to get bigger then cheats on the scale for yet another unfair weight advantage.

Then calls other women "protected" and "cowards."

Despite that I'd still put Cyborg in the top ten.

My list is:
1. Fujiii
2. Tsuji
3. Ronda
4. Larose
5. Cyborg

Joanna might get there but she needs a few more wins. Personally though, I think WMMA is too young a sport to start talking about all time greats yet.

Last edited:
Cyborg beat nobodies.

1. Honda

2. Joanna

3. Everyone else

decent list, better than the Sherdog one, I'd bump Cyborg down at least one place though and probably axe Watanabe in place of.... someone.
I'd have Tate on the list over Watanabe or Larosa. She's being underrated a lot in this thread.

I'm afraid I'd have to put Ronda on top. Sorry guys. Not my choice. We'll probably be able to do something about that in a year or two though.

Yeah, I should have dropped Cyborg one more, and Watanabe is probably far too high.

Tate, though, her best wins are Holm and Coenen. She has been in great fights, but is not particularly skilled, though. For this reason I down grade her. Great in scrambles, but really, poor striking (better than Rousey's), decent take downs, decent ability to snatch a sub. So overall her skills come out to "above average."

Shrug I'm alright with it, its not a big deal. If they want to list Cyborg as #1 that alright. I don't agree but yea, I get what you are saying.

Trust me, I do not see Cyborg as #1 anything other than can-crusher. Five total respectable wins.

Tate, though, her best wins are Holm and Coenen. She has been in great fights, but is not particularly skilled, though. For this reason I down grade her. Great in scrambles, but really, poor striking (better than Rousey's), decent take downs, decent ability to snatch a sub. So overall her skills come out to "above average."

I think for a 'greatest' list you have to consider accomplishments, longevity, and 'stature' as much as skills and Miesha comes out on highly on those compared to most.

Skills are overrated (lol, but really). Accomplishments > skillz (& Miesha beats out LaRosa at both anyway). Somehow always finding a way to win > being a loser with better technique.

I think for a 'greatest' list you have to consider accomplishments, longevity, and 'stature' as much as skills and Miesha comes out on highly on those compared to most.

Skills are overrated (lol, but really). Accomplishments > skillz (& Miesha beats out LaRosa at both anyway). Somehow always finding a way to win > being a loser with better technique.

Yeah, I can see your point. Longevity sort of. I mean, Cyborg has a certain longevity to her career, but it is filled with squash matches. Not sure what you mean by "stature."

Back