Sherdog Analysis: How will Conor fare off his back against NuMonsterMedov?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mysterio, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Mysterio Banned Banned

Considering we'll probably see him there for an extended period of time, how long do you think he survives?

He spent about 6 of the 9.5 minutes of his fight with Mendes on his back and he looked pretty helpless until Mendes went for a botched submission attempt. You have to figure that much time on his back could be disastrous with Khabib, who has much better top control.

Nate and Chad were busting him up and controlling him pretty good and lets face it, they ain't Khabib

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does he fare better than expected? Or a harmless gazelle better off in a Dagie prison?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Haj01 Silver Belt

Booyaka booyaka 619

3. AyDeeDee Banned Banned

I'm convinced TS is a Conor shill trying to make Khabib fans look bad.

4. josh345 Brown Belt

This little scramble/sweep he hit on Diaz in the first round of their first fight was pretty slick actually. [​IMG] Idk how he will fare against Khabib but this notion he is garbage on the ground and has no ground game is just hater shit

5. hydro481 Brown Belt

I'm calling it...Conor via triangle choke off his back.

6. Espresso @Terrorist Rat Led BathtubBrothers #DefendorVacate

Its not gonna be a good look. (If Khabib does Khabib) Connor will get harrased for a while, possibly the entire round. And absord some decent shots. I doubt Khabib gets it done on the first takedown.

If Khabib manages to secure a takedown within the first/2nd minute his chances of winning improve drastically. And Conor knows this, its must be tough on the head for a striker.

If Khabib goes ALL OUT like Lee on Barboza, and doesnt manage to do enough damage on Conor. I can see Conor coming back and KO'ing a gassed Khabib with a power left

7. Mysterio Banned Banned

I don't think Khabib wants to get it done on the first TD.

He will likely do whatever he can to drain Conor's cardio though so he can tear him up throughout the fight.

8. chukutee Genetic Freak

I believe he brought Danis in for Nate 2. We haven't really seen Conor on the ground since then, so it's impossible to judge if he has improved or not.

From the outside he certainly seems to be trying to up his ground game ... but equally from the outside you could say he's been slacking off, partying, getting into legal problems etc. So in the 2 & 1/2 years since the Nate loss it's very possible he has not improved that much.

I don't expect him to do anything tricky off his back. He is very much from the Cro Cop school of ground game. Just try to pull Khabib in, stall the action and wait for a standup.

His scrambles are underrated. Due to his work with Danis it's possible he could be planning to use leg-lock attempts to initiate scrambles.

9. Espresso @Terrorist Rat Led BathtubBrothers #DefendorVacate

Agreed. Khabib will be a magician.
    Going from limb to limb and doing damage everywhere til the round is over. Thats if Conor does well, if Conor sleeps hes getting chocked out or worse, GNP TKO. If Conor does great, he'll bring the fight back on feet

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  10. Silverstar17 Red Belt

It's not like he has no groundgame.

He might even get a surprise sweep or a good scramble same as Khabib could land a good shot on the feet.

But Khabib would beat him up pretty bad on the ground. He has done so vs better grapplers. He has to avoid the mat at all cost or he will get worn down and then beat up pretty bad.

I have not seen a strong ability from him to get back up from under a strong grappler. A much smaller Mendes had little problem controlling him until he went for desperate guillotines from guard because he was gassing hard. And Mendes is not that strong of a grappler. Just a superb wrestler.

11. Dilan Cummingsworth Banned Banned

Imo Conor is going to win despite what the majority of fans think, iv'e been saying this since Khabib won the title

12. snackgod Gold Belt

easy it be khabib 50-43

13. ArtOfDrowning Lecter Belt

With his Happy Meal belt? Bad

14. PROlogic Banned Banned

Yep: )

Also, I find the notion that Conor can't follow up on Khabib if he drops him to be hilarious

Khabib isn't even that much of a sub threat from top, let alone is he a sub threat from the bottom

If and when Conor drops Khabib, Conor is absolutely going to do damage with follow up ground and pound

Khabib ain't no Nate Diaz from the bottom

15. SexyBaroni Brown Belt

He'll try to use his elbows like he did against Chad.

16. Burundanga The Intellectual

I think Conor has a chance to win this fight but he will not get up once Khabib takes him down and secures position. He could also survive rounds on the ground and might even escape a scramble or two but that's about it.

17. Mysterio Banned Banned

Khabib is going to be a like a different kind of animal on Conor

Fighters say he feels like a cottamn HW.

Conors toughest tests on the ground in the UFC to date were a FW and Nate Diaz

Do the math

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  18. SCTwins Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Khabib fans sound an awful lot like Aldo fans, with how sure they are of the outcome.

Never speak in absolutes about MMA. It never turns out well.

19. Mysterio Banned Banned

Conor fans can't even acknowledge the possibility of him being on his back when it's a near certainty.

I hope they and Conor are preparing for it. I want this to at least be remotely competitive as a fan of good fights.

20. HI SCOTT NEWMAN ✔ This Cat had 167,454 Likes Received ✔

He will get beat up and stare at the ref like he did against tiny Chad hoping for a standup , Khabib will just keep beating him, and Conor will turn his back to hope he gets choked